Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums

First give the following command in console:

#uname -r -p

It shows the kernel version and then download the matching ntfs-kernel rpm and install it from:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/downloads.html

Then create a directory for mount

$mkdir /mnt/ntfsdrive

after then edit /etc/fstab and add the details something like

/dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfsdrive ntfs ro,umask=0222 0 0

you can also specify uid and gid if you want.

where I assume that hda1 is the partition that you want to mount and ntfsdrive is the destination folder for mounting.

upon reboot, you will be able to access your selected windows partition from linux.

But remember that Linux doesn't have write access to ntfs partitions.

PS: Writing to NTFS is not enabled by default in linux distro's, as its not considered fully stable yet. You could use something like Captive NTFS.

However, I suggest that you use a tool like explore2fs to copy the files from the linux partitions to windows, from within windows.

< Post Edited as per request >

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Learning Linux: Collection of 12 Ebooks

lunix12_t.jpg

Title:Special Edition Using Linux, Fourth Edition

Author:Jack Tackett, jr.

Title:Linux Configuration and Installation

Author:Patrick Volkerding

Title:Linux in Plain English

Author:Patrick Volkerding, Kevin Reichard, Eric Foster-Johnson

Title:LINUX System Administrator's Survival Guide

Author:TIM PARKER

Title:Linux Unleashed, Third Edition

Author:Tim Parker

Title:Maximum RPM (RPM)

Author:Edward Bailey

Title:Red Hat Linux Unleashed, Second Edition

Author:David Pitts, et al.

Title:Slackware Linux Unleashed, Third Edition

Author:Timothy Parker et al

Title:Special Edition Using Linux, Fourth Edition

Author:Jack Tackett, jr.

Title:Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours

Author:Bill Ball

Title:The Linux Database

Author:Fred Butzen

Title:Using Linux

Author:William Ball

Link:

hxxp://sr1.mytempdir.com/110833

Password:

mxnr2005

Hi,

Ubuntu 5.10. released today:

http://www.ubuntu.com/newsitems/release510

You can dowload from the link above or order free CDs from here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu comes with Gnome desktop if you like KDE you can download Kubuntu:

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Edubuntu is a partner distribution based on Ubuntu that is specially focused on the needs of schools:

http://www.edubuntu.org/

Ubuntu for servers is a CD installer specifically optimised for server installation:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/

Major new features in Ubuntu 5.10

* Thin Client Integration: Ubuntu is the first distribution in the world to include deeply-integrated thin client technology. This allows you to deploy Ubuntu in large scale networked environments or, for example, in classrooms, with a lightweight Ubuntu image booting over the network. All Ubuntu management tools work for the thin client image as well as for the server.

* OEM Installer Support This release of Ubuntu has special support for OEM hardware vendors. Ubuntu can be pre-installed and tested without configuring end user information. The user will be asked to complete that configuration (name, timezone and password) upon first startup.

* Launchpad Integration Launchpad.net is the new infrastructure that Ubuntu and its derivatives use for translation, bug tracking, sharing code patches, fixes and technical support. Users of Ubuntu 5.10 can make technical support requests for any package in Ubuntu, and can help to translate their software, directly from the built-in Help menu in every desktop application.

To see it all, you'll need to try the CD, but the highlights of Ubuntu itself include:

On the Desktop

* GNOME 2.12.1

* OpenOffice.org 2.0 beta 2

* X.org 6.8.2 with wider hardware support

* An enhanced tool for easily installing new applications (see "Add Applications" on the Applications menu)

* A new tool which makes it easy to install support for multiple languages (Language Selector)

* Editable GNOME menus

* Applications are now linked into the Launchpad infrastructure (new entries on the Help menus for translation and support)

* Support for writing audio CDs (Serpentine)

* Graphical startup process with progress bar (USplash)

* New documentation (Ubuntu 5.10 Quick Tour and Ubuntu 5.10 FAQ Guide)

* Language packs with updates from the Rosetta translation platform, part of Launchpad.net, which makes contributing translations easy for everybody in any language.

On the Server

* Kernel support for cluster filesystems (OCFS2 and GFS)

* Plone 2.1 & Zope 2.8.1

* PHP5

* Support for automatic storage allocation into LVM volumes

* Built-in thin client functionality produced in cooperation with the LTSP project

* Simple NFS root setup with automatic hardware detection through initramfs-tools

* Support for up to 4 gigabytes of RAM by default on 32-bit architectures

Hardware Support Improvements

* Linux 2.6.12.6 with many updated drivers from third parties

* Further enhancements to laptop support (hot keys, and working suspend/resume on more models)

* HP all-in-one printer/scanner devices are supported out of the box

* Bluetooth input devices (such as keyboards and mice) are supported out of the box

* Multiple audio devices are handled more gracefully (and one can easily select the default device)

* 64-bit PowerPC kernel available

Installation

* A new OEM mode to simplify the process of preinstalling Ubuntu on computers for resale or redistribution

* Automatically makes existing hard drive partitions available to the desktop

* Simple "dual boot" configuration with automatic resizing of an existing installed OS

* The second stage of the installation now has a progress bar

"Under the hood"

* GCC 4.0.1

* glibc 2.3.5

* New early userspace infrastructure based on initramfs-tools

* More modular X.org packaging

* Python 2.4.2

As always, Ubuntu includes the very best of the 100% free/libre application software world, and each new release incorporates countless new features and bugfixes from the global development community.

kagashe

I have been using Ubuntu for a while now.....and it rocks! Fantastic distro for newbies and a great forum for support.

yeps... Ubuntu is pretty kewl ... using it myself!

Cheers

Ashok

Check out the long review from Linux.com about Ubuntu Breezy Badger edition !

Actually....I am using Kubuntu now (the KDE version of Ubuntu) which looks much better. I like KDE better than GNOME......what do others feel about it? KDE? GNOME? or something else (IceWM, WindowMaker, XFCE etc..)?

Actually....I am using Kubuntu now (the KDE version of Ubuntu) which looks much better. I like KDE better than GNOME......what do others feel about it? KDE? GNOME? or something else (IceWM, WindowMaker, XFCE etc..)?

44047[/snapback]

I use xfce because I have 128 MB RAM and it loads faster than KDE or Gnome.

kagashe

Hi,

I upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary to Breezy. It was not exactly an "upgrade". I installed Breezy on the partition which had Hoary. You can read the details on my blog.

I had used free CDs for the upgrade so I could download "kde" without exceeding 1 GB quota of RConnect freedom plan. Now I am logging to any of the 3 desktops on Ubuntu kde, gnome and xfce. It is fun.

I am also learning to configure kde and gnome to use less resources since I have only 128 MB RAM.

I find the new Open Office faster than the old version.

By the way I am grand father now. You can read about it on my other blog.

kagashe

I also got my Breezy Badger CDs (15 of 'em) and hope to install them after my exams :D

BTW, congrats kagashe !

do we have any software for linux as DUMETER in windows for recording data usage.

if yes plz tell.

do we have any software for linux as DUMETER in windows for recording data usage.

if yes plz tell.

Hi,

One of the easiest GUI based solution could be gkrellm { http://gkrellm.net }.

Most probably your linux distro have installed it by default so navigate the menu

and fire it up.

You would need to configure it before using, read the on-line docs or man page of

gkrellm.

If you're using Linux as a router then you better install MRTG. It will rock your pants off! :blink:

BTW Linux is NOT a poor mans router. Linux / UNIX are best suited as router OSes. I've been using a P1 166MHz with 128MB RAM as a webserver, router, file server, p2p server, firewall, IDS and what not for a long time now :(

If you're using Linux as a router then you better install MRTG. It will rock your pants off! :P

BTW Linux is NOT a poor mans router. Linux / UNIX are best suited as router OSes. I've been using a P1 166MHz with 128MB RAM as a webserver, router, file server, p2p server, firewall, IDS and what not for a long time now ;)

that article was written by

Jonathan Feldman

thnx a lot man!!! :help:

[EDIT]

U can also order Free Kbuntu CDs here.

[/EDIT]

Thanks. I forgot that this time Kubuntu CDs are also being shipped free. I am using Gnome desktop and need Ubuntu. Later on, I will download KDE within Synaptic to have KDE desktop as well.

Ubuntu has a "Laptop Mission" and they are testing so many brands/models of Laptops. You can scroll down on this page and find the link to your Laptop brand/model and see the progress.

kagashe

Edited by kagashe

Hi Everybody,

Ubuntu is now accepting orders for free CDs for version 6.06 (Dapper Drake).

Click here to order your free CDs.

Enjoy.

kagashe

is it better than redhat or fedora?