Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Where To Find The Nokia Ca-42 Cable?.

Nokia had announced the CA-42 USB cable in the west about one year ago. Now looking at the support for the Nokia 3125 on the Reliance site it appears that Reliance now wants you to use the CA-42 for connectivity.

It appears that the CA-42 is the 'proper' USB cable for the Nokia uinits which till now used the DKU-5.

Looking at the Nokia India site one finds no information for data cable for 3125. For the sister GSM phone 3120 Nokia India still lists only the DKU-5. Searching for the CA-42 on Nokia site does give a lot of links with a connectivity table as well. Thus the information must be very new.

Using my old DKU-5 (The 400 rupee Chinese clone, which can be identified by the funny expansion of the term USB on the box!) I was able to connect both the 3120 and the 3125 to the Nokia Suite, and transfer the phone book and images from the 3120 to the 3125. So obviously the DKU-5 still works.

Do the RConnect drivers on the web work with the DKU-5 or are they exclusively CA-42 now?

Where does one find the CA-42 and what does it cost?

Buddy you are confused by the naming I guess. There are basically two standard cables for all nokia sets.

DKU5 (Serial)

DKU2 (USB)

To my knowledge DKU2 is the latest offerring and is available in ebay for around 250rs. I'm sure it is not the original cable but should work.

Vishnu

No I am not!!!

CA-42 is a totally different entity replacing the DKU-5. The difference between DKU5 (and for that matter CA42!) and the DKU-2 are as follows.

Some Nokia phones have a native USB interface. These use the DKU2. Others are serial, so if you want to connect to USB (hardly any laptops today have serial ports) you need the cable to incorporate a converter. The DKU-5 includes this function.

You cannot substitute a DKU2 by a DKU5 or vice versa.

No I am not!!!

CA-42 is a totally different entity replacing the DKU-5. The difference between DKU5  (and for that matter CA42!) and the DKU-2 are as follows.

Some Nokia phones have a native USB interface. These use the DKU2. Others are serial, so if you want to connect to USB (hardly any laptops today have serial ports) you need the cable to incorporate a converter. The DKU-5 includes this function.

You cannot substitute a DKU2 by a DKU5 or vice versa.

37797[/snapback]

CA42 is a connectivity adapter wherin it creates and works thru virtual port. like DKU5, it emulates virtual serial port. CA42 would be similar. The DKU2 actually uses the port from your PC. If the phone is CA42 compatible, it should also be DKU2 complaint. check out with DKU2 cable, your problem may get solved.

Hi,

I am having NOKIA 3125 CDMA mobile and recently I bought a so called DKU-5 for 350 bucks.When I install the driver for that cable it shows up in Device Manager as USB--> Kingsun (COM4).But when I connect the mobile through that cable it says that ENhancement not supported. I dowloaded the NOkia PC suite ver 6 from Nokia website. But when I try to connect the mobile through COM4 it doesnt identify that cable. I have lost the hope of making that cable work.

The other option is to buy the original NOkia cable for 1950/- bucks. I dont want o spend that much.

Can you please tell me which Nokia PC suite version you used when you connected your Data cable. I will also try to use the same and see whether this cable works or not.

Thanks...

I am using both the 3125 as well as the 3120 on my system. I have had no problems with PC Suite versions 6.5 as well as 6.6.

From your description it appears that there is a problem with the cable.

Many of these cables take multiple (I think in one attempt it took about six!) attempts to connect to the phone before they work. Assuming the PC, phone & cable are all separate. Try to connect the cable to the phone. If you get Data Enhancement Not Supported then unplug, wait for a minute and trya gain. You should get something tot he effect Ready for Data or Data Enhancement Connected. I used to face this problem a lot, when all of a sudden things started behaving, and this is very rare now.

Now connect to the PC. Things should work, since your PC end shoule be OK as the Kingsun (!) shows up in the device manager.

Remember that to run R World you will have to use the connection manager to disconnect the suite as otherwise it grabs the connection.

My cable is a cheap clone (~Rs.450 15 months ago). The give away as the box looks super genuine is the spelling (Unicersa Serial Bus) unde the USB logo. In fact my son had bought the cable for his 2280, which worked very well.

I have Nokia 3205, I tried connecting it with Local DKU-5, the phone was recognized but did not work so I switched to InfraRed which works for sure, a bit slow but works.

Infrared (Bluetooth) is fine. However, RConnect will not work. Most probably you have not run the connection manager to connect the PC Suite and the phone.

I am having 3125. I have purchased CA-42 cable from the market. (Cheetah brand). I am able to use R-Connect. But as far as Nokia PC suite is conerned, it overrides the driver installed by the CD provided by the cable supplier whle installing and writes the driver for CA-42. Then neither PC suites works nor R-Connect works. Then I uninstalled PC suite and installed R-Connect again. Now r-connect works fine.

How to install Nokia PC-Suite without affecting the driver for cable?

Umesh

I am using both the 3125 as well as the 3120 on my system. I have had no problems with PC Suite versions 6.5 as well as 6.6.

From your description it appears that there is a problem with the cable.

Many of these cables take multiple (I think in one attempt it took about six!) attempts to connect to the phone before they work. Assuming the PC, phone & cable are all separate. Try to connect the cable to the phone. If you get Data Enhancement Not Supported then unplug, wait for a minute and trya gain. You should get something tot he effect Ready for Data or Data Enhancement Connected. I used to face this problem a lot, when all of a sudden things started behaving, and this is very rare now.

Now connect to the PC. Things should work, since your PC end shoule be OK as the Kingsun (!) shows up in the device manager.

Remember that to run R World you will have to use the connection manager to disconnect the suite as otherwise it grabs the connection.

My cable is a cheap clone (~Rs.450 15 months ago). The give away as the box looks super genuine is the spelling (Unicersa Serial Bus) unde the USB logo. In fact my son had bought the cable for his 2280, which worked very well.

39365[/snapback]

This is a new one. Just checked the Nokia site. While it lists both 3120 and 3125 with the CA42 it only lists the 3120 with the DKU5. So does it make DKU5+3125 a no-no as far as Nokia are concerned.

Glad to know that a CA42 clone is available. eBay sitll has none on ots site! I suspect that Nokia have brought in the CA42 to try and quench the clone market.

I have no experience with the CA42 so my comments have to be of a general nature. I was able to install PCSuite 6.6 (overwriting the 6.50 with no hassle. (I had had a minor hassle in installing 6.5 in that while everything worked fine with the GSM suite, I was unable to get things going with the CDMA suite. As both 3120 and 3125 were working, I did not follow it further. May be the clue lies here itself.

You have to somehow stop the Nokia CA42 driver frme messing you up.

Some ideas:

1. Look in the connection manager of the PCSuite. Kill the connection to the CA42. If this is on then the CA42 (Nokia and hence not operational) grabs the line and stops all connectivity. After killing the CA42 connection wait for a minute or so and then reconnect the cable and phone and see if you have some joy on RConnect. If yes, then go into the suite and find where the 'Cheetah' connection is. It can be in the serial /DKU5 set. Switch this on and you should be GO!

2. Check in your Device Manager. If there is a Nokia CA42 driver listed then getting rid of it, may help.

3. A long shot here. What you have to do is install the DKU5_2 from the old set. I am assuming that the CA42 driver you have is notning more than a replacement of the DKU5_1 driver.

One must bear in mind that whether one is using the CA42 or the DKU-5 the phone on serial has to connect to the USB port of the computer, so a protocol conversion is necessary.

Hope these idea help.

You just have to buy a CA-42 cable for Nokia 3125 PC suite and rconnect connectivity..

i can provide you a CA-42 cable for Rs. 650 with 6 months warranty from novel company.

You can contact me on rahujas@yahoo.com

Hi,

I am having NOKIA 3125 CDMA mobile and recently I bought a so called DKU-5 for 350 bucks.When I install the driver for that cable it shows up in Device Manager as USB--> Kingsun (COM4).But when I connect the mobile through that cable it says that ENhancement not supported. I dowloaded the NOkia PC suite ver 6 from Nokia website. But when I try to connect the mobile through COM4 it doesnt identify that cable. I have lost the hope of making that cable work.

The other option is to buy the original NOkia cable for 1950/- bucks. I dont want o spend that much.

Can you please tell me which Nokia PC suite version you used when you connected your Data cable. I will also try to use the same and see whether this cable works or not.

Thanks...

39120[/snapback]

You just have to buy a CA-42 cable for Nokia 3125 PC suite and rconnect connectivity..

i can provide you a CA-42 cable for Rs. 650 with 6 months warranty from novel company.

You can contact me on rahujas@yahoo.com

dear pals,

I bought a nokia 2112, and searching for original DKU5 cable for RConnect, as insisted by reliance website,

Reliance Website.

The following info from their website.

Data cable for

= DKU-5

price = 1940

But the folks at webworld or webworld express says that DKU5 cable has been replaced by CA42 cable.i'm reluctant to buy this one.

pls anyone clarify my doubt, that i can gofor CA42 cable or not? and let me know which cable is recommended.

Thanks in advance.

Rak

Edited by rakashj

You can buy DKU5 from any local vender also but they do not work for sure. So I suggest you should go for the orignal DKU5. It is available at Nokia showrooms.

The correct cable for the 3120/3125 is now the CA42. DKU5 works fine. CA42 is a replacement for the DKU5.

Nokia at Rs.1900+ is ideal. Third party at Rs.350 or so also works though making the system work is sometimes a bit of a hassle.

If you want to save Rs.1500+ then go for the clone, but be willing to work on it a bit, if things do not work. You will find posts on other threads which tell you how.

Essentially the Nokia DKU5_1 driver has to be substituted by the proper driver for the protocol converter in your cable. Most use the Prolific 2303 chip. The driver is available from the Prolific site.

The correct cable for the 3120/3125 is now the CA42. DKU5 works fine. CA42 is a replacement for the DKU5.

bud, i'm asking for Nokia 2112, which i own now.

Essentially the Nokia DKU5_1 driver has to be substituted by the proper driver for the protocol converter in your cable. Most use the Prolific 2303 chip. The driver is available from the Prolific site.

40466[/snapback]

so, though i buy Nokia's DKU5 cable, i need to substitute the proper driver?

Thanks.

Rak

All DKU5 compatible phones take the same set of drivers. The set(s) will be different for DKU2 and CA42. Nokia PCSuite compatibility depends on the phone.

Look at it this way. The phone needs to 'talk' to the PC. This depends on the interface built into the phone, and the cable beiing used. The cable must be compatible with the phone. Now RConnect uses this interface, which is essentially a serial connection as far as the PC is concerned. This does not worry about the phone. PCSuite on the other hand 'talks' to the phone, hence compatibility is necessary.

If you are using a DKU5 clone (as many of us do since Rs.350 sure beats 1900) then often the vendor does not provide the correct drivers. Here only DKU5_1 needs to be replaced. On the other hand if you use a Nokia original cable then use their drivers

Not if the cable is original Nokia Cable.

I suggest, always use Orignal accesseries, works fine always and you get peace of mind. I bought a local car charger (Rs. 100) for my Nokia Phone, instead of charging it used to discharge the phone. I got it replaced with the Orignal Nokia Car Charger (Rs. 650), It works great and I have my peace of mind.

I suggest, always use Orignal accesseries, works fine always and you get peace of mind. I bought a local car charger (Rs. 100) for my Nokia Phone, instead of charging it used to discharge the phone. I got it replaced with the Orignal Nokia Car Charger (Rs. 650), It works great and I have my peace of mind.

41556[/snapback]

But here in my city, people at nokia care say that CA-42 will work for Nokia 2112, though once again i mention, DKU5 recommended in reliance website.

I am also interested in original cable only.so shall i go for CA-42 pals?

thank you.

Why not yaar, If Nokia guys are suggesting you for it then go for it.

41590[/snapback]

Ok :rolleyes: am going for it :confuse: Also I could not find DKU5 cable (original nokia brand) in my city, tried in all webworld and Nokia Care centers.(also no other go :) , as I can get only CA-42 nokia cable here)

Here in Delhi DKU5 cable (original nokia brand) is easly available. Get in touch with Pankaj Verma or MunnaMobile they might be able to help you out.

I was earlier using LG and used to connect to Internet easily. I have chnaged to Nokia 3125(CDMA) 2 days back and trying to connect to internet with Rconnect. DKU-2 cable doesn't work with this, but with DKU-5 (Its also mentioned on the Nokia Phone Box) it gives a message (always - tried 10-12 times) "Enhancement not supported". The cablehas cost me at Rs. 450 from the local market.

Please advise. Please also mark your reply at jaspal.rekhi*at*ril.com

You can buy Cheetah Brand CA42 cable from Lamington Road. Chinese brands do not work with 3125. Install the drivers from the CD. No need to install the RConnect application if you are not connecting to the net. Install PC suite. It installs its own drivers but in connection wizard it will show both DKU5 and CA42 as installed. Connect using CA42. Better still use MobiMB and transfer the wallpapers and ringtones. PCsuite does not copy the ringtones to Default tones folder. MobiMB does.

Nokia had announced the CA-42 USB cable in the west about one year ago. Now looking at the support for the Nokia 3125 on the Reliance site it appears that Reliance now wants you to use the CA-42 for connectivity.

It appears that the CA-42 is the 'proper' USB cable for the Nokia uinits which till now used the DKU-5.

Looking at the Nokia India site one finds no information for data cable for 3125. For the sister GSM phone 3120 Nokia India still lists only the DKU-5. Searching for the CA-42 on Nokia site does give a lot of links with a connectivity table as well. Thus the information must be very new.

Using my old DKU-5 (The 400 rupee Chinese clone, which can be identified by the funny expansion of the term USB on the box!) I was able to connect both the 3120 and the 3125 to the Nokia Suite, and transfer the phone book and images from the 3120 to the 3125. So obviously the DKU-5 still works.

Do the RConnect drivers on the web work with the DKU-5 or are they exclusively CA-42 now?

Where does one find the CA-42 and what does it cost?