Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deepu

Ubuntu Linux

Hi all,

You can get free ubuntu Cds by registering here

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

I registered one month back and got 10 packs.

Each pack had two cds one installable version and another live cd!.

I think they will send to all if the number of cd is reasonable.

I am yet to try it.

Has some one done that already??

Hi all,

You can get free ubuntu Cds by registering here

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

I registered one month back and got 10 packs.

Each pack had two cds one installable version and another live cd!.

I think they will send to all if the number of cd is reasonable.

I am yet to try it.

Has some one done that already??

34976[/snapback]

I have ... ordered 21 disks, waiting ... I got a message in my login that it has been shipped on 11th of June.... but shipping might take upto 4 weeks ... so waiting.

I have also received the customs clearance letter.

iii_pretender_iii has already got his copy. I opted for that odd number coz of 18 for college / friends + me PC. 2 64Bit for an AMD.

The site asks u to register for as many people as possible at the same time to regulate the transit costs!!!

Cheers

Ashok

Is this some kind of Linux distribution? If so what are its advantages? And can't one just download it of the net?

Yes, its a really good easy-to-use Linux distribution, more information and downloads at: www.ubuntulinux.org

me waiting for the CDs too, shipment seems to be done on June 11th for me too :)

Personnally I'm not a great fan of Linux.

It might run Oracle very well, but from a desktop users point of view it suc*k*s.

I've tried installing Linux several times, The only time I was successful was with a Redhat 5.x distribution (then too it didn't detect one of my modems).

Apart from drivers, its hard to configure and understand, too techie. And has no apps (read games) that run on it.

I'll still wait for my copy of a hacked OS X which will run a non-Apple computer thank you very much.

Edited by anujit

Personnally I'm not a great fan of Linux.

It might run Oracle very well, but from a desktop users point of view it suc*k*s.

I've tried installing Linux several times, The only time I was successful was with a Redhat 5.x distribution (then too it didn't detect one of my modems).

Apart from drivers, its hard to configure and understand, too techie. And has no apps (read games) that run on it.

I'll still wait for my copy of a hacked OS X which will run a non-Apple computer thank you very much.

35057[/snapback]

Dude nice personal view,

I am also not a great fan of any specific OS as such, but the newer edition of Linux sure seems nice to see, easy to install and best of all .... perfect to use ... try knoppix.

As far as running Mac OSX on a non apple comp is considerd try G-Mulater, or even cherryOS (which is a platform Emulator), I use the latter ... and it is kewl dude!

What do you mean its on OS X Emulator? How does it work?

Does it boot in Windows loadup and a virtual environment in which the MacOS runs? In which case since I don't have a blazing fast PC I'd face a lot of performance problems.

I'd rather have some code that sits in the boot sector (and maybe spills over a lil) that runs the OS X directly on my PC (as god intended it too :grin::grin::grin: ).

Oh and the website... cherryos.com has died and been taken over!

Edited by anujit

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 5.04. It is fantastic!

Those who can't wait for free CDs to reach them can buy at very reasonable price at:

http://roseindia.net/linux/ubuntu5_0_4.shtml

Please note that I am not advertising for this fellow. It is just for information.

You can buy any Linux distribution here cheaper than the cost of download and burning CDs.

kagashe

What do you mean its on OS X Emulator? How does it work?

Does it boot in Windows loadup and a virtual environment in which the MacOS runs? In which case since I don't have a blazing fast PC I'd face a lot of performance problems.

I'd rather have some code that sits in the boot sector (and maybe spills over a lil) that runs the OS X directly on my PC (as god intended it too  :)   :rolleyes:   :blink: ).

Oh and the website... cherryos.com has died and been taken over!

35079[/snapback]

I have cherryos...

u can try it on the torrents ... it is damn good.

BTW I got my order of 21 CD's of ubumtu Delivered yesterday!!!

Received my Ubuntu CDs now :'(

Received my Ubuntu CDs now :'(

35574[/snapback]

I received my Whole lot ... sometime back

i got my packs on last month 21..

but couldnt figure out to install rconnect B)

Bhakt jano!

Hum Jaise mahapurush apna kaam 10 CD se chalate hain.

Hume 20 cd ki khwahish nahi hai, 40 CD ki khwahish nahi hai.

Moh maya mein hum padna nahi chahte!!! :)

ive got my lot long back .!.. the sad thing is that the postal dept wanted me to pay 4 the postal/shipping charges ( 500 bucks) . i refused to pay twice ! :) and found the parcel left at my door step the next day ... :D:D:D

so got them 4 free ! :rolleyes:

Got my lot of 30 CDs. Out of 'em 10 for 64bit and 20 for 32bit Processors.

Hi,

For Ubuntu lovers I would like to post my experince here. To make Ubuntu work for multimedia applications, nice fonts and many other things you have to read the forum how to's on Ubuntu forum, then download many things through apt-get command or Synaptic package manager.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

To make the things simple there is an Unofficial Add-on CD available on the forum which has most of the packages. Search the forum for Add-on CD or look in the index for How to's.

If you can't download and burn the Add-on CD (it is about 500 MB) it is available at:

http://www.linuxbazar.com/

Enjoy.

kagashe

hey any one uses 64 bit linux or win xp? I installed win 64 bit pro but was not happy with the performance. It seems its half hearted effort like windows ME. An suggestion is welcome, as I want to use 64 bit OS for my Athlon 64 bit.

64 bit OS would work smooth in a 512 DDR.

try it on,.

hey any one uses 64 bit linux or win xp? I installed win 64 bit pro but was not happy with the performance. It seems its half hearted effort like windows ME. An suggestion is welcome, as I want to use 64 bit OS for my Athlon 64 bit.

41026[/snapback]

Hi,

This is from:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu release supports PC (Intel x86), 64-bit PC (AMD64) and PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.
It says "AMD64" and not Athlon but you can visit the forum and search I am sure you will get the guidance:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

The support at Ubuntu forum is great!

kagashe

thanks for info Kagashe

Get the Unofficial Ubuntu Add-On CD for Ubuntu 5.04 "The Hoary Hedgehog".

Ubuntu has released their new version 5.10, codenamed "The Breezy Badger" recently, and its available for download here. Anyway, they are not shipping it for FREE for now, as it may take a month or so for them to start free shipping of the new version.