Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
liquidnitrogen

Nokia 6255 And Bluetooth

I dont know how pertinet it is her but I am using LG phone and my phone disconnects after sometime on itself if the browsing stops.

I have to disconnect and reconnect.

I was using Samsung 191 and GTRAN before and never had any sort of problem with those.

Maybe its not a problem with nokia only.

Moreover I think there is another thread about frequent R connect disconnect problem.

Hi just got this beauty for myself!

really good!

however I am a novice at blue tooth can someone please explain how to connect the phone to PC using Blue tooth?

I am new to this so would need step by step guidance anyone willing and patient?

Edited by Arun

Hi just got this beauty for myself!

really good!

however I am a novice at blue tooth can someone please explain how to connect the phone to PC using Blue tooth?

I am new to this so would need step by step guidance anyone willing and patient?

37903[/snapback]

Congrats! Tanveer. I am waiting for good review about this phone from u.

what is the good price for this phone?

is it expected to get cheaper in next few days.

I connect using all three connectivity options on 6255 - IR/BT/DKU-2 and all but IR work like a charm. BT on the widcomm stack and DKU-2 drivers from Nokia. They work flawlessly. Remove all 6255 stuff you installed including PC suite just install DKU-2 drivers and create a new connection. You may or may not need modem init string at+crm=1. it will work.

Happy surfing

WP

Hi,

Can some one please confirm if DUN works fine on Reliance 6255? I tried with bluetooth but to no avail.

If you are successfull connecting to the net with DKU2/IR/Bluetooth please do point out.

I could connect Nokia PC Suite via bluetooth and transfer files but was unable to connect to the net. If you know how to connect to net via bluetooth please jot down the steps.

Thanks in advance

nitro

36271[/snapback]

I must thank Williamparker. Because I have followed those exact steps now I am able to connect to internet thru Bluetooth device along with Nokia 6255.

1. I have removed Nokia PC Suite

2. I have removed all existing Mobile Phones in the Bluetooth connection [Double Click the Bluetooth Icon in the systray and remove any mobile phone in the list]

3. Clicked Add BLuetooth device in the Bluetooth Icon. Added Nokia 6255 phone.

4. Went to Modem Phone in the Control Panel cut and pasted the following in the init string under Advanced tab '+crm=1;+cso=33'.

For some reason my connection goes only up to 115Kbps (thats what it says) but the down load speed is very low.

How do I increase the download speed thru init commands?

Thanks a lot I too tried the above and could connect!

And i too got 115 kbps here is a screenshot!

Didnt try for long to see the dormancy problem!

1124219820.jpg

and i did try with setting at dial up aswell same result!

how to get 230 kbps?

Edited by tanveer

The main reason for the limited speed may be due to the port. If we use USB Port the maximum speed it supports seems to be 115 Kpbs. If we probably, try USB 2.0 there is a possibility of increased speed. The machine must have high-speed ports such as Ethernet ports to support such connectivity speeds.

But I could change the connection speed in the Dial-up connection properties by setting it to maximum. But I really doubt if it can achieve any meaningful increase in speed.

It is difficult to achieve DSL/Cable model capabilities because they use Ethernet port which is lot faster than USB Ports.

Infact, there is no need for downloading any drivers from any place so long the machine has the Microsoft Bluetooth software installed.

Tariff plans for accessing internet in Reliance is prohibitively high! Compare that against Broadband providers or EDGE/GPRS providers, it is way too high I believe.

Unless Reliance significantly reduce the internet access rates, I do not think I can use this facility except on rare circumstances.

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about connection speeds, and what it means.

The connection speed windows displays in the taskbar has absolutely NO relation to the actual connection speed you're getting. All that shows is the max speed at which your computer can communicate (transfer data) with your phone. This speed can be increased or decreased, but this does NOT influence your R-Connect speed.

People have posted saying they are getting speeds of 230 kbps and so on. This is simply the connection speed to the computer, not the R-Connect speed. If you wish to, you can tweak that speed to upwards of 430 kbps.... but it has no effect on actual internet speeds.

CDMA supports speeds of only about 114 kbps, not more. Whether you connect thru bluetooth, USB, or infrared, you cannot possibly exceed 114 kbps in actual internet speed. this is the restriction of current CDMA technology, and there is nothing reliance or anybody can do about it. Tweaking your system or fiddling with connections will not increase your speed beyond this 114 mark.

this 114 kbps speed should translate into about 10-14 Kb/s (thats 14 Kbs per second)... which is a reasonably good speed. This may be less, depending upon your signal strength and other factors.

I agree reliance tariffs are high, but considering the options.... it's ok.

I dont know the technicalities but after I managed to connect via blutooth I explored the setttings and changed it to 230 kbps

I didnt know it would make a difference

Visibly it was faster almost to the extent of going haywire, also i the problem of dormancy during this setting

I checked the speed and took another screen shot and am pasting here!

well it is superfluous because of a single faulty reading but I dont know what to make out of it

as for me, yes there was a difference in browsing speed definitely with 230

any more suggestions

1124367548.jpg

Me too agree that Speed increase is not just possible. Whatever number displayed in the connection window need not be true.

I am encountering a problem now if I install the Nokia PC Suite (I have already established internet connection thru Bluetooth without PC Suite). Looks like the Phone is automatically connects to PC Suite thru Bluetooth connection. Since the port is already connected to mobile phone, When I tried to dialup internet connection (using Bluetooth) it is unable to dial. It says hardware problems etc...now I have to remove the PC Suite again to make it working.

Is there any way PC Suite and Bluetooth connections can exist without interfering each other?

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about connection speeds, and what it means.

The connection speed windows displays in the taskbar has absolutely NO relation to the actual connection speed you're getting. All that shows is the max speed at which your computer can communicate (transfer data) with your phone. This speed can be increased or decreased, but this does NOT influence your R-Connect speed.

People have posted saying they are getting speeds of 230 kbps and so on. This is simply the connection speed to the computer, not the R-Connect speed. If you wish to, you can tweak that speed to upwards of 430 kbps.... but it has no effect on actual internet speeds.

CDMA supports speeds of only about 114 kbps, not more. Whether you connect thru bluetooth, USB, or infrared, you cannot possibly exceed 114 kbps in actual internet speed. this is the restriction of current CDMA technology, and there is nothing reliance or anybody can do about it. Tweaking your system or fiddling with connections will not increase your speed beyond this 114 mark.

this 114 kbps speed should translate into about 10-14 Kb/s (thats 14 Kbs per second)... which is a reasonably good speed. This may be less, depending upon your signal strength and other factors.

I agree reliance tariffs are high, but considering the options.... it's ok.

38233[/snapback]

i agree with you on all the points you have mentioned but one point where you have mentioned that you cant get more then 114 kbps i don’t agree...

i have been using the nokia 6255 phone with blue tooth since last 3 weeks.... after changing the connection speed to 230 kbps in dialup property... i was able to get the speed of around 16 to 18 kb/s which equal to 128 to 144 kbps.... i get this speed nearly at all times of day....

It is actually 144 kbps and not 114 kbps.

<snip from http://www.relianceinfo.com/Infocomm/Rim/r...onnect.html>

Reliance's cutting edge CDMA 1 x network offers you high speed internet access, at speeds up to 144kbps without tying you down to a landline.

</snip>

And that is the maximum speed you will get. Port speed not withstanding, the network cannot provide you more than 144 kbps until and unless we have EV-DO or EV-DV networks.

People migrating from LG phones to Samsung/Nokia do observe marked difference because of the change in the architecure of the phone and not because of network. LG phones basically have serial connections which can sustain a maximum of 115 kbps, while Samsung/Nokia handsets have native USB which supports much higer speeds (230 kbps if I remember right). Hence, while on LG one is not able to achieve the maximum that the network can offer, one can utilize it to the fullest on Samsung/Nokia.

It is actually 144 kbps and not 114 kbps.

<snip from http://www.relianceinfo.com/Infocomm/Rim/r...onnect.html>

Reliance's cutting edge CDMA 1 x network offers you high speed internet access, at speeds up to 144kbps without tying you down to a landline.

</snip>

And that is the maximum speed you will get. Port speed not withstanding, the network cannot provide you more than 144 kbps until and unless we have EV-DO or EV-DV networks.

People migrating from LG phones to Samsung/Nokia do observe marked difference because of the change in the architecure of the phone and not because of network. LG phones basically have serial connections which can sustain a maximum of 115 kbps, while Samsung/Nokia handsets have native USB which supports much higer speeds (230 kbps if I remember right). Hence, while on LG one is not able to achieve the maximum that the network can offer, one can utilize it to the fullest on Samsung/Nokia.

38248[/snapback]

yes.... you are right puneet......

Hi, Did anybody try R-connect on Mac OS X with the Nokia 6255 through bluetooth?

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ is providing drivers for Nokia CDMA phones which should work for almost all models, but I do not have the phone to try it out.

If there is anybody out there who had success, let me know...

<TOPIC MERGED!>

37479[/snapback]

I just bought a 6255 and have a powerbook. having difficulty connecting. downloaded the drivers from this site. the phone dials #777 however it hangs up saying "disconnected"

what do you suggest?

regards

kashi

It worked. I just put in the builtin auCDMAone driver with a little modifications. where can i upload the script.

regards

kashi

39249[/snapback]

here is the driver. you need to put this in /Library/Modem scripts/

you can remove the .txt extension. i needed to put that so it would upload.

then you can select it as the modem driver in the network preferences tab/bluetooth modem properties.

regards

kashi

Reliance_Nokia_6255.txt

It worked. I just put in the builtin auCDMAone driver with a little modifications. where can i upload the script.

regards

kashi

39249[/snapback]

here is the driver. you need to put this in /Library/Modem scripts/

you can remove the .txt extension. i needed to put that so it would upload.

then you can select it as the modem driver in the network preferences tab/bluetooth modem properties.

regards

kashi

39405[/snapback]

Kashi, thanks for sharing the experience. What speeds do you get ? Which powerbook do you have ? I am having Powerbook 15" Mac OS X 10.4.2 tiger and am thinking of purchasing Nokia 6255 and want to use it as bluetooth modem for internet ocassionally. How is your overall experience for internet, please share.

Kashi, thanks for sharing the experience. What speeds do you get ? Which powerbook do you have ? I am having Powerbook 15" Mac OS X 10.4.2 tiger and am thinking of purchasing Nokia 6255 and want to use it as bluetooth modem for internet ocassionally. How is your overall experience for internet, please share.

39419[/snapback]

I have a powerbook 12" Mac OS X 10.3.9 - Panther. havent yet upgraded to tiger. Overall very good experience. Its really fast and very convenient not to have wires hanging around. Keep the phone in my pocket and surf as if i have a wifi connection :angry:

Speeds are good - same as with a wire I guess. Havent really checked. But i get downloads at about 7 - 10 kbps

I also use it with my palm zire 72 to connect - surf and check email on the move. very convenient. worth the money if you ask me.

jgd

kashi

hi all,

pls clear my doubt; with bluetooth if we surf internet, same amount(the ones specified using RConnect) is detected?

i'm new to bluetooth tech. so bear with me and kindly let me know.

thanks.

Rak

You are essentially using R-Connect only. Its only the means of connecting your phone to PC that varies: cable, infrared or bluetooth.

And Reliance possibly has no way of determining what you are using.

Yes Rakash, bluetooth connects your pc to your phone without the need for a data cable. And you will get 144 kbps (max speed of CDMA 1x200) on it.

Hey Rakash.

I'm not sure what your doubt is (what 'amount' are you referring to?). So i'll try to go over bluetooth in general, hoping it covers your doubt.

Simply put, bluetooth is a means to connect devices without wires, using low powered radio waves. Bluetooth is comparably low power, and is restricted to about 10-25 feet, depending on obstacles. Unlike infrared, line of sight (LOF) is not required.

The Nokia 6255 is the first (and so far, the only) bluetooth phone introduced by reliance. With bluetooth, the phone can connect wirelessly with other bluetooth enabled devices, such as many GSM phones (to transfer ringtones, videos, mp3s, images, etc), bluetooth headsets, and computers. Majority of computers are bluetooth enabled by the addition of a USB bluetooth dongle, which simply acts as a radio antenna.

Using bluetooth to access R connect does not affect your internet speeds, or influence connection costs in anyway. Bluetooth is simply a substitute for a data cable, thats all.

Hey Rakash.

I'm not sure what your doubt is (what 'amount' are you referring to?). So i'll try to go over bluetooth in general, hoping it covers your doubt.

Simply put, bluetooth is a means to connect devices without wires, using low powered radio waves. Bluetooth is comparably low power, and is restricted to about 10-25 feet, depending on obstacles. Unlike infrared, line of sight (LOF) is not required.

The Nokia 6255 is the first (and so far, the only) bluetooth phone introduced by reliance.  With bluetooth, the phone can connect wirelessly with other bluetooth enabled devices, such as many GSM phones (to transfer ringtones, videos, mp3s, images, etc), bluetooth headsets, and computers. Majority of computers are bluetooth enabled by the addition of a USB bluetooth dongle, which simply acts as a radio antenna.

Using bluetooth to access R connect does not affect your internet speeds, or influence connection costs in anyway. Bluetooth is simply a substitute for a data cable, thats all.

39499[/snapback]

thanks for ur explanation

Rak