Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
compenn

Laptop Discussion

These days Laptops have gone really cheap.

Compaq Laptops are available from Rs 29000/- ( Acc to their ads)

What should be the ideal configuration for a Laptop?

What is centrino technology?

What is intel M processor?

Any suggestions for good laptop at the best price??

<TOPIC MOVED!>

Edited by Vishal Gupta

Acer is available at 33.8K (AMD )

I heard for students it is available for 29k

remember to go for mobile processors as they consume less power, but on other hand to conserve power it operates at lesser frequency, even when needed, system waits for few seconds beofore it jumps to full frequency. That causes slower system performance, overall.

Centrino is something I mentioned above, AMD calls it Power Now. Wide screens are good but carry bags are expensive as local manufacturers do not manufacture it.

I have been using AMD since K6-II (Similar to PII) and its great performar than an P4. Even cheaper. But resell is almost nil till you catch hold of AMD fan.

33k laptops are usually for Celeron (or AMD equivalent processors). The Centrino technology models come at quite a premium -- 50-60k I think!

wat do sony vaio's have special in them to have such a hefty price tag?

wat do sony vaio's have special in them to have such a hefty price tag?

36303[/snapback]

Size and weight

its a sony.

Its also whats inside that counts... you cant compare raw Ghz here.

For instance you'll see that a Centrio tech laptop @ 1.5 Ghz will out perform a Celeron based 2.0 Ghz by miles.

They there are other frills thrown in and plus a small premium for SONY!

Acer's Aspire 3002 NLC (Rs.33700 with FREE 128 MB MP3 Player cum USB Drive), Acer TravelMate 2355 NXC (Rs.30000) and HP Compaq Presario M2202TU (Rs.32000) are good entry level notebooks available in the market currently. Acer's Aspire 3002 NLC is powered with an AMD Mobile Sempron 2800+ processor, while the others are Celeron 350/360. Acer's Aspire 3002 NLC is a good buy except for the fact that it has a poor battery life time of just 1 - 1.5 hours.

Hi guys I am planning to buy HP PAVILLION dv4170us ,a desktop replacement notebook, from US. I think it is the best value for money notebook.I dont know why HP is not selling Pavillion range notebooks in India.Please have a look at the attachment for detailed configuration and advice.

Thank youproduct_detail.do_spec.htm

Edited by Mr.Optimist

Arun, the acer 3002 nlc that u talked abt, does that come with Linux or windows because most of the entry level notebooks come with Linux and most of us prefer windows.

can you give us the official links where we can know the configuration and price etc....

Most of the entry level notebooks come with Linux, and Acer Aspire 3002NLC comes with Linpus Linux. Its kinda ploy by the MNC's where they reduce the price of the notebook by installing Linux and they know that people will be formatting them and installing pirated versions of Windows !

Website

Official price is: Rs.33800 (net price, everything included)

I got it along with Rs.800 off from the dealer (so Rs.33000), and an Apacer 128 MB MP3 player/USB drive :D

Windows XP has an impact of around 3.5k on the price. While it is a ploy to cut costs, the biggest savings come from:

1. Using Celeron processors

2. Further savings come by using AMD (Celeron equivalent) processors

3. Using lower configs (such as 128MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, lower graphics cards etc) usually stuff that cannot be noticed right away especially by a newbie.

As per benchmarks, "Mobile AMD Sempron™ processor 2800+" outperforms "Mobile Intel Celeron 350/360", at the same price. And most of the entry level notebooks mentioned above have 256 MB DDR333 RAM, 40 GB HDD, Integrated graphics upto 128 MB shared, CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive, etc.

You can check out this Detailed Comparison.

Disclaimer:All the information are on "As Is, Where Is" basis. The member cannot be held resposible for any discrepancies in any information.

Laptops__DetailedComparisonTable.zip

Edited by Utsav

Thats nice, utsav... but the price mentioned in it for Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi is wrong, it costs around Rs.64000

Hi guys I am planning to buy HP PAVILLION dv4170us ,a desktop replacement notebook, from US. I  think it is the best value for money notebook.I dont know why HP is not selling Pavillion range notebooks in India.Please have a look at the attachment for detailed configuration and advice.

36367[/snapback]

Ever heard of the Armstrong special edition ? Why dont you go for it instead of this one ?

Hi there!

I have been using laptops for a long time now. My first experience with a laptop was on Toshiba Satellite. I bought a second hand from my office. It was a good laptop but very bulky and ugly (though the newer ones are attractive)....Then I used my boss' Sony Vaio...truly a nice one, great looks and great performance. This year finally I bought one after lots of reserach, and I settled for none other than IBM Thinkpad T Series. After trying lots of brands and model, I found this one to be the most stable and high on performance laptop. I bought this one in March this year from US (at a real low price compared to India)......I must say I am in love with this thing. Vaio's looks impresses, but then IBM Thinkpads' performance outperforms all others.

A great buy if price is not a constraint!

Cheers!

Basant

IBM ThinkPads are the best when it comes to Laptop. My brother-in-law is a dealer of IBM and i have tested quite a few of them in his company. They looks good and the performance is also great.

The most notable thing I noted was that the graphics performance is great and is as good as a desktop.

Hi guys I am planning to buy HP PAVILLION dv4170us ,a desktop replacement notebook, from US. I  think it is the best value for money notebook.I dont know why HP is not selling Pavillion range notebooks in India.Please have a look at the attachment for detailed configuration and advice.

36367[/snapback]

Sorry for the late post

If u are able to get AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Mobile processor laptos(Discontinued from last few months)

It will be very good

My friend brough 2nd hand( 2 months old ) lptop from US for 21k with all accessories and required software(os, utils etc)(OEM versions)

and it's battery backup is comming abt 2 to 2.5 hrs

AMD is discontinued Athlon processors fr lptp's few months ago and they r giving only semphone which is a scaled down version of Athlon XP.

So u can also try

I have chosen a HP NX6110 http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/in_en/11_2...76_PY767PA.html

for my use... I am getting it without OS at 30K....

Think that is a kewl price...

cheers

Ashok (btw I am getting a combo in place of the DVD-R)

anyone in delhi can look at edge laptops which are actually assembled laptops made out of notebook kits. they r thin n light but most importantly easily upgradable.

Hey guys I want a fast feedback on latestprice for following configuration of laptop in Delhi

1. pentium centrino 2Ghz equivalent or may be 2.4

2. 512 mb RAM or more

3. DVD writer

4. 40 gb or higher

5. light may have 14/15 " screen

5. Value for money

SUggest me a brand and if you can then the price also I can arrange a pick up from almost any town/city (within india)

I prefer IBM thinkpads over anything else however if you think other brands are better then opinions are welcome...

I need a feedback in a couple of days... PLS ITS URGENT

Edited by imvikky

Hello people,

I am going to get this laptop from my college on 1st June for my MBA. Can you tell me about it? Here are the details :

Laptop : DELL D510

Configuration :

 Intel Pentium Mobile Processor (1.73 GHz)

 Chipset Intel 915

 15” XGA Display Screen

 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM

 40 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

 Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN

 802.11 b/g wireless

 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

 Modem 56 kbps

 Li-ion Battery

Authorized Software

 Microsoft Office 2003

 Microsoft Projects 2003

 Microsoft Visio 2003

 CA E-trust Antivirus Vaccine

 SAP Client

 SAS Client

 SPSS Client

Please tell me about this Laptop's performance as i am a complete stranger to Laptops and have been confined to Desktops for my whole life till now :) . This is going to be my first Lappy :)

Rohit

Rohit, that is an excellent configuration and the bundled softwares are great too. That should rock !

@imvikky: I would recommend the HP NX6125. Not sure about the exact market price, though an indicative price is mentioned there.