Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
basant_jp

Phonebook On Rim Gets Much Needed Protection

Phonebook on RIM gets Much Needed Protection

Secure Phonebook back-up, storage & Retrieval with a click on R World

Mumbai, August 09, 2005 DAKC

In yet another industry first, Reliance Infocomm has launched a unique service that helps customers to store, protect and transfer their phonebook information with the back-end support of the company's highly secure Internet Data Center (IDC) at Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge City.

Reliance Infocomm's subscribers with R World can now save their phonebook information with password protection on the back-end server and retrieve it at their convenience. A copy of one's Phonebook from Reliance Mobile is kept in the network as a protection against phone damage or loss. This also allows for effortless transfer of phonebook information from one Reliance IndiaMobile to another through easy-to-navigate R World.

"Phonebook is the single most important element of any mobile as subscribers use several times a day. More often than not, they are at loss looking for those important phone numbers when their handsets gets misplaced or damaged. Now, with this new R World application, Reliance IndiaMobile subscribers can be completely assured of safe-keeping of their phonebook information," said Mahesh Prasad, President - Applications and Solutions Group, Reliance Infocomm.

The user can easily upload or access their phonebook data at the click of a button anytime, anywhere, that too without using any sophisticated devices or cables. It is also very easy to copy the phonebook on to a different Reliance handset at the subscriber's will. For instance, all members of the same family or a group can transfer their common phonebook information from one handset to another, without having to physically feed the numbers and names.

To use this facility, one has to simply click on R World and select "Tools" under "More Services" on the main menu of R World. Once in the "Tools", section, one has to select "Phbook Transfer" , which leads one step-by-step to "Upload" the information to the Reliance server and "download" to restore or transfer the phonebook information.

Corporate customers can also upload the common phone numbers used by a particular group on one phone and transfer to other phones. The facility will also be useful to those wishing to transfer their phonebook information from a GSM handset to Reliance Infocomm's CDMA handset.

at last..........

at last..........

37531[/snapback]

But what about those who own Motoroli C131???

Very useful! Now I guess all phones without R-World will be at a disadvantage..

Whats more seems the service is free. Just uploaded my phone book ...and the menu is marked "F"! :'(

Edited by raccoon

huh! It was available previously but didnt work anyway...!

Available since long long time! Nothing new... Though i guess its now available on more handsets than earlier. And i jus hope the interoperatability between handsets is better. Not like limited use as earlier.

They've added passwords and cleared some bugs I think. Thats what the hullala is about!

just found out its not available for LG 6000 handsets

;(

Whats more seems the service is free. Just uploaded my phone book ...and the menu is marked "F"!    :clap:

37550[/snapback]

Its free? Its showing an M near upload and download options.

From SIMs (i.e. transfer from GSMs to RIM) is free.

For RIM its M.

Wonder how that works though since you can pay per day (i.e. Rs. 3) - so if you dont pay on a particular day do they wipe the data off?

Well Anujit,

The "M" charges are for accessing the (phonebook UL/DL) service and not for using disk space on their servers for storing your phonebook.

So don't be afraid of your precious data getting wiped out...

Whats more seems the service is free. Just uploaded my phone book ...and the menu is marked "F"!    :clap:

37550[/snapback]

Its free? Its showing an M near upload and download options.

37593[/snapback]

I rechecked ...and now its showing "M"!!! Argggg!!! :clap:

But I swear it was "F" yesterday when I read this thread and uploaded my phone book.

Amtrag:

With RIM you never know.

Ever seen how quickly your WAP favourites get wipped out?

Besides who said you're not paying for disk space? Is it mentioned somewhere? The diskspace usually is part of the service as would be for any paid email service, you dont pay just for accessing mails, you also pay for storing your mails there! Dont pay them and they'll wipe it all off!

So this is entirely upto RIM whether to delete this data or not (and after how long).

Also I would like an option to delete my phonebook from RIM's servers at my discretion. Is that possible?

I rechecked ...and now its showing "M"!!! Argggg!!! :clap:

But I swear it was "F" yesterday when I read this thread and uploaded my phone book.

37608[/snapback]

It was 'F', but after the testing phase it seems to have been re-deployed as "M"

Cheers

Ashok

Edited by Chirag

its old wine in new pack these guys release things in the media long time after it appears on the mobile

So true Shabz!

It was definitely marked with 'F' until very recently. I had done transfers then. Its quite a decent service, worth paying i guess! As they have said earlier, All Good Things come at a price!

is there any way by which i can get on my lg 6000

Hi Friends,

I was using a nokia 2112, before i changed over to a Telson TWC1150 I uploaded my phone book to Rworld. The problem now is that Telson does not have Rworld, but it has some kind of a sim that you have to insert in the phone, do you think if i take that sim to the Web world they can download my phone book to the phone via the sim.

Hope i am not confussing you guys. Please help.

well ... really sorry to post so late.. somehow this post had missed my eyes for long...

The SIM is an RUIM, and well if they have a RUIM reader-writer, they sure could.

an easier alternative would be to take the Phone book from the 2112 by Data cable to ur comp... save the .csv

take another nokia hs which supports RUIM.... upload the PB, transfer contacts to RUIM... and use the RUIM in ur TELSON...

yeah I know that u do not have a Telson anymore ... but still for others, this might help a little.

Cheers

Ashok