Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
gurup

Should Reliance Reduce Prices?

Hi,

Sify has announced their new plans for the broad band. 256Kbps Unlimited @ 1100pm !!

and RConnect is 1600pm for 144Kbps (and I always get 40Kbps).

http://broadband.sify.com/price.php?opt_va...t_val=Bangalore

I think its time to reduce the Tarrif plans for RConnect. If you just check the market rates for BroadBand RConnect is very costly for its slow speed connection.

-_-

hmm but R-Connect offers mobilty if u connect thro ur mobile ... sify does not!

Cheers

Ashok

For that matter none of the broadband companies offer mobility, and sure mobility will demand premium.

Though price reduction will sure make me happy too -_-

hmm..

but for a typical user (I mean who uses the Desktop) do u think that the mobility is good feature?

So are desktop users are paying extra for a feature that they are not using?

How many users are utilising the Mobility facility? 10%? 20%? Tru mobility comes only with the Mobile connection.. What about the users who are connecting using WLL CDMA?

It doenst justify.. :)

:quest::confuse:

I think Reliance should reduce the Rconnect tariff to atleast half of what they are taking now!!

I agree, reliance is ripping off people, right now on the R-connect.

And it's almost time to cut to atleast half.

Deepu: I plan to join the HR team reliance soon (YES ! -- Anil is on the search for talent across industry to man infocomm. For HR, I'm an obvious choice)

My first action after joining would be to hire you (Deepu) into the pricing group of Infocomm (esp. the R-connect pricing group). You just passed the electronic interview, here at rimweb. Congrats !

I agree that Ambanis and Reliance are known for ripping Indians pockets! They even had to pay the penalty for the government for doing mischievous things what alternate we have? Only TATA, which is another Reliance!!!!

I am paying only Rs. 250 per month accessing internet thru my mobile [Airtel] which is giving decent speed. Thru Rconnect also I am getting same speed but I need to pay almost 10 times if I use my internet service at the same level as I do with the other provider. My internet connection thru airtel is unlimited.

Only in India we have this strange thing as Data usage. I have not heard this in any other country, where the rates are fixed for the entire month.

I would not use Reliance Rconnect for my internet connection unless they reduce the rate like Airtel. They can never give internet connection like broadband any way.

Soon GSM providers may able to give Broad band internet connection thru EDGE/3G facilities by which time Reliance would have lost their race by thousand miles. Already, they are light years behind as far as handsets are concerned.

Yes i definately approve that prices of Rconnect should be reduced. If you compare the speed of Rconnect it is more that Pstn/dialup but less than broadband. it is just high speed net access with mobility.

rconnect freedom650 plan should be around 400 rs and unlimited account should be around 700rs. it charging double the cost , as if you compare SIFY 64kbps access.

on reliance we get around 40-50kbps at most and sify offers 64kbps nonstop speed.

Even if you compare bsnl dialup it cost less than reliance and its speed is about 80% of Reliance.

the only advantage of Reliance is that it offers mobility.

So Reliance Should Reduce its Rconnect Charges

bye-

vivek

No Ramchi I dont agree with you. GPRS typically doesnt give more than 3 kbps (even in the best of conditions), although it is cheaper.

RIM gives me around 10kbps at peak times and 12-16 kbps at night. Also GPRS is useless in most cases while roaming. Not so with RIM.

Internet access thru GSM is practically useless (... and prices ..huh. Most of GSM are blood-sukkers -- aptly lead by hutch).

But reliance distanced itself from being compared to the blood-sukking gsm people.

But reliance should reduce prices .... and also launch R-connect prepaid cards for Rs. 200 or Rs. 250 (data of even 100MB is fine -- for those who just want to check emails. No video downloading).

No Ramchi I dont agree with you. GPRS typically doesnt give more than 3 kbps (even in the best of conditions), although it is cheaper.

RIM gives me around 10kbps at peak times and 12-16 kbps at night. Also GPRS is useless in most cases while roaming. Not so with RIM.

38636[/snapback]

hmm..

I agree GPRS is very slow compared to RConnect. I was using that earlier on my Nokia 6600.

But even if you get the 10KBps day time downlad speed its very costly( I usually get 2-10KBps on peak hours :confuse: ( ).. compare with sify (256Kbps, letz say u get 1/3 of the quoted speed at peak hours its around 11+KBps which Reliance Internet gives only in off peak hours! and sify gives it at much reduced rates 1100pm).

Anujit,

I was able to download the entire Windows XP Service Pack 2 thru my GPRS connection, ofcourse, over a 2-3 days time. I have been using my Airtel GPRS for the past one year without getting into major problems. There are performance issues no doubt but I have checked those websites thru my RConnect which was having problems with my Airtel Connection. Same problem exist even with my RConnect as well.

So by opting for Rconnect I was not gaining any significant performance improvement. Even if I get slightly better speed thru Rconnect still I will be paying almost 5-10 times (that of Airtel GPRS) depends on the plan you take.

Not only that, if I avail GPRS facility, I can also surf WAP sites thru my mobile without paying extra charges. I am not sure whether this is true for RWorld. I heard that R World does not allow people to use various sites.

Just imagine, if you can sign-in to Yahoo & MSN Messengers thru your mobile phone. Using GPRS facilities in the roaming areas is perfectly possible without having to pay extra.

All these facilities are available for just Rs 250 in Airtel.

Edited by Ramchi

Just imagine, if you can sign-in to Yahoo & MSN Messengers thru your mobile phone. Using GPRS facilities in the roaming areas is perfectly possible without having to pay extra.

38642[/snapback]

may be these services(yahoo IM) are available in metro cities :confuse: !

infact i was in a dilemma whether to go for GSM with GPRS or Reliance's data service.

I heard info that GPRS is very slow and the plans for using GPRS for internet connectivity is very high, finally i decided to go for RIM.

may be these services(yahoo IM) are available in metro cities  :confuse: !

infact i was in a dilemma whether to go for GSM with GPRS or Reliance's data service.

I  heard info that GPRS is very slow and the plans for using GPRS for internet connectivity is very high, finally i decided to go for RIM.

38643[/snapback]

Believe me, I am not residing in any of the Metros or big cities but I have used these facilities thru Airtel GPRS.

Also, I have used Y! & MSN Messenger in my mobile thru Airtel GPRS without having to pay anything additional. Sending and receiving messages thru Y! and MSN Messenger is free if you sign up for GPRS!

Speed is not greate for sure; but my experience with Rconnect is also not that great. There may be slight performance improvement but not significant enough to down load songs from music websites. I have tried it thru both Airtel & RConnect.

Reliance mobile handsets may not be allowing you to visit WAP Sites. Even if you use R World you may need to pay extra even if you have signed up for one of the RConnect plans.

Edited by Ramchi

Believe me, I am not residing in any of the Metros or big cities but I have used these facilities thru Airtel GPRS.

nice to know this!

Also, I have used Y! & MSN Messenger in my mobile thru Airtel GPRS without having to pay anything additional. Sending and receiving messages thru Y! and MSN Messenger is free if you sign up for GPRS!

38644[/snapback]

I like to stay online in y! messenger infact :quest: ; but i got info from www.airtelworld.com, that GPRS Rental Rs. 600 :confuse:

i should have postpaid connection too.

and by the way, what is signing up GPRS :)

Edited by rakashj

I wouldn't buy the argument, that since u r not using the Mobility feature of ur RIM, u shudn't be paying for that feature while using R-Connect!!! Thats absurd, according to me.

Are u trying to tell that since u move at snail's pace while driving a car in Mumbai, u shudn't be paying for PETROL??? U could have easily used a bicycle to reach that destination in the same time! Is that how u compare?

If u r not mobile while using R-Connect, its not RIM's fault. you shud hence be using Internet thru a fixed connection and not a mobile connection. I hope u r getting my point! My argument is not that R-Connect charges are rock-bottom. But i see some ppl talking something ridiculous. Buy a landline to make calls cheaper since u r fixed; and buy a cellphone since u r mobile all the time.

Believe me, I am not residing in any of

I like to stay online in y! messenger infact  :quest:   ; but i got info from www.airtelworld.com, that  GPRS Rental Rs. 600  :confuse:

i should have postpaid connection too.

and by the way, what is signing up GPRS :)

38646[/snapback]

Again you need to trust me. I have three connections, using Airtel Prepaid[350 Per month] & Postpaid [100 + 250] and Reliance postpaid [Joy499].

I have taken up an Airtel connection only for GPRS. I have signed up Rs 100 per month connection [Total Freedom 99] plus Rs 250 for GPRS. Including some voice usage, Service Tax, Clip charges it comes to Rs 450 Per Month.

In Airtel, GPRS service is available thru prepaid connections as well for Rs 250 as a separate GPRS Card. I was originally having GPRS thru Prepaid connection. Since I had to pay Rs 330 + 250, I have decided against that.

I may soon disconnect my Airtel Prepaid and convert it into postpaid. Because I use my Reliance phone as the primary phone for making outgoing calls (both Local + STD). Airtel connections only meant for receiving calls and for GPRS.

Signing up means apply for the GPRS plan.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Edited by Arun

I wouldn't buy the argument, that since u r not using the Mobility feature of ur RIM, u shudn't be paying for that feature while using R-Connect!!! Thats absurd, according to me.

Are u trying to tell that since u move at snail's pace while driving a car in Mumbai, u shudn't be paying for PETROL??? U could have easily used a bicycle to reach that destination in the same time! Is that how u compare?

If u r not mobile while using R-Connect, its not RIM's fault. you shud hence be using Internet thru a fixed connection and not a mobile connection. I hope u r getting my point! My argument is not that R-Connect charges are rock-bottom. But i see some ppl talking something ridiculous. Buy a landline to make calls cheaper since u r fixed; and buy a cellphone since u r mobile all the time.

38648[/snapback]

I am not really getting your point.

I am not regularly using Rconnect but I was just trying Rconnect to test its speed and other things for mere comparison with my Airtel GPRS connection. Otherwise, I can not talk about performance, isn't it?

To me, I do not gain any performance improvement by connecting thru Rconnect (using my Nokia 6255). I have tried accessing similar sites using two connections.

If Reliance charges me only Rs 250 for unlimited usage, I need not take up Airtel at all. This is my simple Point but I know Reliance want to rip more from your pocket which many are happily obliging.

Compare the handsets with GSM providers, Reliance is way behind just because they have customers who are satisfied with anything.

Edited by Ramchi

38648[/snapback]

:confuse: ) I never told that im moving at snails pace. When I said that RConnect charges are high ppl said that daz coz u r getting mobility.. so there should be different tarrifs for mobile and non-mobile users..

when others are providing 256Kbps Unlimited @ 1066 pm I felt that RConnect (115Kbps Unlimited @ 1600+pm) should bring the prices down..

If u really need mobility you can opt for it @ some extra charge.. Neither i said i wanna move @ snails pace nor i said i dont wanna pay for petrol :) ) :quest: )

If u really need mobility within fixed radius u can opt for wi-fi (My laptop has that and I am planning use the same in my house also).

But the thing is How many users really want this? that means RConnect isnt good for Home uses? Thatz what I am getting from your message..

Lets us debate and get other users views.. you can also express ur view.. but definately not like this..

Ramchi - at 3kbps you should be able to download around 4-5 MB/hour. Over 2-3 days you can download (max) - 360 MB! Anything less than that and your connection is even slower than that! :confuse::):quest:

And I think SP2 is around 80 MB (or 125 MB but not much more) for a complete download - even less if you just update the components you have installed on your computer (it goes down to a minimum of around 24 MB I think).

So thats really nothing to brag about.

For your reference - at peak speeds I download over 50 MB/Hour (roughly little less 1MB per minute) using R Connect.

Anujit,

I was able to download the entire Windows XP Service Pack 2 thru my GPRS connection, ofcourse, over a 2-3 days time. I have been using my Airtel GPRS for the past one year without getting into major problems. There are performance issues no doubt but I have checked those websites thru my RConnect which was having problems with my Airtel Connection. Same problem exist even with my RConnect as well.

So by opting for Rconnect I was not gaining any significant performance improvement. Even if I get slightly better speed thru Rconnect still I will be paying almost 5-10 times (that of Airtel GPRS) depends on the plan you take.

Not only that, if I avail GPRS facility, I can also surf WAP sites thru my mobile without paying extra charges. I am not sure whether this is true for RWorld. I heard that R World does not allow people to use various sites.

38642[/snapback]

Anujit,

There is nothing to brag about speed but I was just mentioning that it was adequate for ordinary needs.

I recommand the following bench-mark:

Please go to the following link using your RConnect:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/7Jb2uoXypdNvwrOupt7D/

and let me know what you hear?

This is my bench mark. I tested it in both Airtel GPRS & RConnect; I could not play the song.

Yesterday, I downloaded more than 80 MB worth of file but after 8 hours.

But how much you can download using Rconnect? If you go for a limited package you will be forced pay if the limit is exceeded.

:clap: ) I never told that im moving at snails pace. When I said that RConnect charges are high ppl said that daz coz u r getting mobility.. so there should be different tarrifs for mobile and non-mobile users..

when others are providing 256Kbps Unlimited @ 1066 pm I felt that RConnect (115Kbps Unlimited @ 1600+pm) should bring the prices down..

If u really need mobility you can opt for it @ some extra charge.. Neither i said i wanna move @ snails pace nor i said i dont wanna pay for petrol :) )  :) )

38665[/snapback]

Lolz! U simply didn't get wat i mean. Not everything has to be implied literally! :)

Let me try once again.

As far as the rates go, i really dont care. But maybe and probably there is scope for reduction with R-Connect Tariffs. R-Connect like R-World has been quite a success simply becoz of the Mobility feature and the Speeds. Now if u label R-Connect as good as ur Airtel GPRS, then u were jus lucky. But most other subscribers of GPRS haven't been that lucky to get those speeds.

Now if R-Connect has been that huge a success and a roar amongst the ppl of india, i believe, they can sell it a premium. As they've said, Good things come at a price. If u cant handle the price, move out!! Period! So if u dont want mobility and want non-mobile stuff, its already present wid ur BSNL/MTNL. who wants those speeds? If you have the pockets to go for EDGE enabled handsets, then go for that stuff. And if u have the pockets for mere 3000 bucks, then go for RIM with R-Connect. Thats how the deal is. Dont forget, u live in a Capitalist and Globalised Economy. So keep ur mind cool, and make ur move.

Corporates dont work with the mindset of wat ppl want!! Sorry! Corporates and Globalised India works wid the market sensation. If the market disapproves of the tariffs, they r bound to reduce tariffs and make them acceptable. and if its successful, they will continue to suc*k the money till it milks! :) Most of us do the same in our own businesses!

U and me discussing here, doesn't make a damn difference to them! Coz the cow still milks for them. So chill ! ;)

Some ancient song Ramachi... btw I have used R-Connect sometime back ...and believe me ! IT WAS GOOD!

and I am sure this song will play perfect on a R-Connect .

btw I personally think there is not much discussion left... u want a reliance net connection (mobile or not) u pay 1500/- (for unlimited) , else use whichever connection u wanna use ... whoz forcing u ?

Go in for a damn... cable connection u get dl speeds of a MINIMUM of 6kbps at just Rs. 375/- per month (mumbai)

Cheers

Ashok

Hey ramchi...... what GPRS connection are you talking about???? As far as i know airtel offers two types of connection (1) Rs. 100 as rental and additional data charges and (2) Rs 500, better known as MOBILE OFFICE, as unlimited GPRS connectivity including rental and unlimited data.

As far as the better connection is concerned......You simply can't compare the two on quality. Its like comparing a Toyota Corolla with Maruti 800. Sure airtel Gprs is cheaper but trust i've used both the connections over here in delhi and while airtel gave me speeds of about 3-5 KBps, reliance constatntly gives me 14-16 KBps download speed and since i download all the time, nothing like it. sure airtel is cheap but only for people on the move for plain surfing and rare downloads; whereas reliance is for all of these including decently high speed and superb roaming in most parts of india......Don't know how is the speed of airtel in all cities but can't really compare it with reliance speeds......

Its all a matter of choice.....you are content with airtel gprs, which is absolutely fine keeping in mind your expectations and needs from ur net connection...... as for people like me i don't mind paying 1500 bucks a month if i get a decent speed like r-connect (Its awright till EVDO/3G hits the market)......

Anyway do clarify which airtel gprs conncetion u've taken for Rs 250 per month. I can keep that to use internet and yahoo/msn messengers on my nokia 9500 (communicator) for in the move till reliance comes up with a good PDA phone.

Well i have jsut switched to airtel from rim , a week back and the speeds r good , though not as good as relaince but not bad also as per the price and one thing to note is its unlimted also!!! that counts a lot!! and speeds r arund atleast 33kb i.e. what i get and dowload from 5 to 8kb. i reside in thane very near to mumbai.