abhay

Reliance To Shift To Wcdma

SHOULD RELIANCE CONVERT TO WCDMA BEFORE ITS EXPANTION PLANS ?? OR :P  

22 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD RELIANCE CONVERT TO WCDMA BEFORE ITS EXPANTION PLANS ?? OR :P

• YES
    • NAH i just purchased a new CDMA HANDSET let it get a lil old first
    • leave CDMA & WCDMA bharti is no 1 with GSM! CONVERT TO GSM

Finnish telecom equipment major Nokia is talking to operators in India, including Reliance, for migrating them to the WCDMA technology.

WCDMA technology is a variant of the GSM technology while Reliance offers services on both GSM and CDMA technology. "We are talking to operators in India, even Reliance for deployment of WCDMA technology," head of 3G WCDMA Networks at Nokia Emilio Brambilla said. He, however, did not say whether the talks are on for upgrading the GSM or CDMA networks of Reliance.

He said there was an end of the road for Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) as no further evolution was possible in this technology after EVDO, whose data transfer rates are 2.4 megabits per second.

"In markets like Latin America and Korea, the operators are shifting from CDMA to WCDMA, which is an evolution of GSM technology. We are talking to operators in India, including Reliance, for migrating them to WCDMA," Brambilla said.

He said that 2004 was a turning point for 3G. As of June 30, 2005, there were 78 commercial WCDMA networks across 36 countries, amounting to a customer base of over 28.34 million WCDMA subscribers, a number that will go-up exponentially over the course of the next few years.

Closer home in Asia Pacific and China, Nokia is the leading supplier of WCDMA networks and has supplied 12 of the 22 networks.

Brambilla said the third generation mobile services based on the GSM technology are in for a further boom worldwide with the availability of the 3G compatible handsets at less than Rs 4,500 by the end of 2006."By the end of next year we will see the availability of 3G compatible handsets at less than 100 dollars a piece," he said. One of the major hurdles in the roll out of 3G networks is the high cost of handsets. Once they come down, the service providers will find it easy to migrate more people to the new technology.

Further, Nokia is working to increase the speed of data transfer on WCDMA networks."At present rate of data transfer in 3G network is around 1.0 to 2.0 megabits per second and we are working on increasing it to anywhere between 10-100 megabits per second," said Tuomas Tormanen, Strategy Director Consumer and Market Operations, Nokia Networks.

Nokia is already at the forefront of research in High Speed Packet Access (HSPA), a natural evolution to WCDMA 3G that brings higher data speeds with a simple software upgrade to Nokia's existing WCDMA 3G radio network.

He said that Nokia has already started working on 3.9G standard, open-standard specifications, which are expected by 2007.

you can get a better formatted story here :P

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articl...790,curpg-1.cms

wont they have to scrap the cdma infrastructure(or a part of it) and buy the costly gsm infrastructure for this to happen..

y a GSM infra?? they have to upgrade frm CDMA to WCDMA not GSM

yup i think they have to scrap some amout of cdma infra!! well dose ne1 know the diffrence between CDMA INFRA and WCDMA INFRA

what would be the changes a cdma network have to make

Edited by abhay

there were things that i could find about WCDMA pretty self explainatory

WCDMA is a 3G evolutionary path for GSM and TDMA technology. Wideband Code-Division Multiple-Access (W-CDMA) is one of the main technologies for the implementation of third-generation (3G) cellular systems. It is based on radio access technique proposed by ETSI Alpha group and the specifications was finalised 1999.

WCDMA handsets use an extended SIM, called a USIM (UMTS Subscriber Information Module) which contains additional WCDMA information.

The biggest difference between WCDMA and CDMA2000 is the origin. WCDMA is an evolution of GSM, while CDMA2000 is an evolution of CDMA. WCDMA uses a broader spectrum and the signalling is based on GSM. CDMA's signalling is somewhat related to TDMA signalling. Both use Code Division to get the packets in sequence and both offer similar data speed and voice capabilities.

what i dont get is if WCDMA is gsm based then will a operator have to change to GSM ?? :P

y a GSM infra?? they have to upgrade frm CDMA to WCDMA not GSM

yup i think they have to scrap some amout of cdma infra!! well dose ne1 know the diffrence between CDMA INFRA and WCDMA INFRA

what would be the changes a cdma network have to make

40992[/snapback]

but what happens to its 16 million subscribers.

Nokia in talks with Reliance: Nokia is talking to operators in India, including Reliance, for migrating them to WCDMA technology. WCDMA is a variant of GSM while Reliance offers services on both GSM and CDMA. PTI

But boss where is it written that they are converting CDMA to wCDMa...cant they convert GSM to wCDMA

Nokia in talks with Reliance: Nokia is talking to operators in India, including Reliance, for migrating them to WCDMA technology. WCDMA is a variant of GSM while Reliance offers services on both GSM and CDMA. PTI

But boss where is it written that they are converting CDMA to wCDMa...cant they convert GSM to wCDMA

41048[/snapback]

we are here to dicuss SHOULD RELIANCE CONVERT TO WCDMA BEFORE ITS EXPANTION PLANS ??

no1 said reliance is gonna convert or no and yup u are right reliance can even convert frm GSM to WCDMA but in the article stated above the point which is majorly strressed upon is

He said there was an end of the road for Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) as no further evolution was possible in this technology after EVDO, whose data transfer rates are 2.4 megabits per second.

"In markets like Latin America and Korea, the operators are shifting from CDMA to WCDMA, which is an evolution of GSM technology. We are talking to operators in India, including Reliance, for migrating them to WCDMA," Brambilla said.

CDMA to WCDMA so its obvious at the first look ne1 would guess that reliance would shift frm CDMA to WCDM rather than GSM to WCDMA

Edited by abhay

Abhay:

Apart from the names there is nothing similar to WCDMA & CDMA.

WCDMA is GSM (UTMS actually) standard and has absolutely nothing to do with Qualcomm's CDMA platform. WCDMA is a upgrade for GSM 2.5 G.

CDMA's upgrade path goes - EVDO, EVDV, and various versions of EVDV etc....

So RIM won't be converted to WCDMA. Anil's not that charming that he can persuade even 10% of his 10 million subscriber base to buy new phones because they just wont work on his new network!

And he is not that charming that he can persuade Nokia to give away free WCDMA replacement handsets for his 10 million CDMA subscribers.

If he manages to pull that, I guess I will start worshipping him :)

WCDMA is definately more expensive than CDMA especially cost per MB (Qualcomm, Alcatel) of data transferred, irresective of speed at which data is transferred. Only advantage WCDMA over CDMA (For GSM networks) is cost of upgradation, if we read stats (Siemens), what ever may be the claim by GSM technologies, data speed is never as good as CDMA because CDMA is developed keeping data in mind, where as GSM is keeping voice or P2P communication in mind.

Though GPRS is ideally able to transfer upto 80Kbps, I have not seen any GSM network capable of even 40 kbps. Where as in CDMA we all have seen good data speed. At time upto 115 kbps as claimed.

I belive over a period of may be 2 years, CDMA technology will mature when there will be better SMS, MMS, EMS, DATA and handset support. RUIM is step towards it.

I too think that Reliance will not shift atleast in the near future!!!

Well, I guess not....

Reason?? Simple, even at present, Wideband CDMA in no way offers faster data transfers than CDMA Ev-DO....theoretically WCDMA offers transfers upto 2 mbps at present compared to 2.4 mbps of CDMA.....and I don't believe someone saying that there is no scope of futher upgradation of speeds on CDMA technology...

We must not forget that even in many europian countries (which are considered as the GSM only) are also deploying CDMA networks now. And not to mention, Hutch, the major GSM global player, is operating on CDMA 2000 1x in Thailand.

As of now, I believe RIM will not switch to W-CDMA, especially when there is not exceptional reason to do so. But yes, since Anil is backing and planning the expansion of Reliance GSM, I will not be surprised if he opts of W-CDMA for Reliance GSM.

Cheers!

Edited by basant_jp

I presume .... CDMA and WCDMA could co-exist... if Ambani bhai does not want to loose out all these 16 M customers

Cheers

Ashok

Also, Reliance had a kindda presentation on CDMA 1x EV-DO early on in Jan '03. I guess Reliance would also upgrade the CDMA network to EV-DO soon alongwith GSM upgrade to WCDMA

Edited by Chirag

yes thats a good option

Very true DaveM

Cheers

Ashok

hey, all seems to be too optimistic, dont you think so? Still GSM guys has not reached to EDGE fully, you think they will upgrade to W-CDMA in next 3 years? Why they will upgrade? I dont remember the price but it was astronomical price per MB in EDGE on I think Hutch Delhi ad.

FYI, India has only 5.3 million internet connections so I dont see any techno commecial benefit to service providers.

Just my thoughts, u may disagree. :D