Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
robbyji

Plan 700 Under Threat ?

as so many news are coming , i feel as if plan 700 is under threat , what people have opinion about this plan , i am using this plan for more than 4 months , it is huge saving for me

:'(

Now fixed telecom service only on wireline, says DoT

by Siddharth Zarabi

Monday, September 05, 2005, New Delhi: The Department of Telecom (DoT) has proposed a radical change in the way telecom service providers roll out their services across the country in the future.

Currently, companies like Tata Indicom, Reliance Infocomm, HFCL, Shyam Telelink use wireless in local loop technology (WLL) for the last mile connection to the consumer. The phones, which look like normal landlines except for a small antenna, are called fixed wireless phones/terminals.

The DoT has now decided that ‘fixed’ services could now be provided only through wireline. In effect, the last mile will have to be a copper cable and normal instrument, the normal way BSNL, MTNL, Bharti connect landline users. It proposes to amend the basic services and unified access service licenses of all operators. Once implemented, it would mean that operators would not be able to offer FWP services.

The decision was taken at a high-level DoT meeting about ten days ago and was put up for the approval of Minister of Communications Dayanidhi Maran on August 30. Just a day before this decision, the department had ordered a major clamp down on the existing 60 lakh WLL connections like the Tata Walky. These users will now have to pay a higher call rate of Rs 2.10 per three months, up from the present Rs 1.20 for the same duration. But it is believed an extension (possibly 90 days) is likely to be given for implementation of this order.

However, the amendment of the license on fixed services is a far bigger move as it seeks to amend all existing policies. In fact, almost all the growth in fixed line services over the past three years has come as a consequence of using WLL technology and the fixed wireless phones. The impact, the operators claim, would be higher in rural and distant India, as it is prohibitive to lay wireline networks in such areas. Proponents of WLL technology used to say that it was the only solution for connecting the unconnected. As the numbers reveal, these phones are being used more in cities than elsewhere.

Edited by robbyji

hmm im also using this plan since its inception!!! but i think the order iz for new suscriberz and not for the ones already suscribed to it !!!!

and yeah these op's have gone to the court lets c what happenz there ! hope 4 d best :'(

what i think DOT should realize that wireless iz always better than wireline! whats the point in having 100 company's putting their own cables under our building its just a waste of resources! most of us (99%) already have MTNL & BSNL cables under our feet whats the point in having multiple lines going below our feet! so for wireline connectivity MTNL & BSNL are enough !! others should be givin permission to use wireless services

Edited by abhay

Yes, it looks to me that the plan 700 is under threat.

It's either foolishness or bribes at work.

Bharti (i.e. Airtel) is the biggest gainer if this happens.

I guess it can work, if simply a small antenna(for signal reception) is placed on top of the building(terrace/roof) and then the wiring is used as a last mile connectivity to the subscribers home. It might involve some cost and Subscribers can bear a part of it, but it will ensure the current tariffs for more time!!

Hey ... Chirag ... u gotta try for a job with Reliance ... sure they will take u in, and be assured they will pay better than that CAD CAM job ;):P

cheers

Ashok

Hey ... Chirag ... u gotta try for a job with Reliance ... sure they will take u in, and be assured they will pay better than that CAD CAM job ;):P

cheers

Ashok

41847[/snapback]

They already installing patch panel in areas where signals are weak

Hey ... Chirag ... u gotta try for a job with Reliance ... sure they will take u in, and be assured they will pay better than that CAD CAM job :'( :(

cheers

Ashok

41847[/snapback]

They already installing patch panel in areas where signals are weak

41890[/snapback]

ya i have already have patch pannel antena installed , signal is very good even in weak signal areas like me , by putting patch pannel they can restrict its mobility in say one room

Edited by robbyji

patch-panelz old! i got it a year back when i had a FWT for the first time ! comes with the terminal itself

Edited by abhay

If this is the case then what do BNSL/MTNL do with their WLL customers? Dump them into the Arabian sea perhaps!

Also, Reliance is shifting many fixed phones to copper as the density in locations increases and cables are laid. They want to sell them Broadband as well. Bharti in the early days (im MP) did the same. WLL units until they had enough conenctions etc. to make copper viable, and then switched the subscribers to wired lines.

I hope BSNL learns that they are no longer a monopoly. Also, they should heed the discussion in parliament, telecast on some channels where Mr Ahluwalia stated :

MTNL -> Mera telephone Nahin Lagta

BSNL -> Bai Saheb Nahim Lagege.

This I presume is in the records of the parliament.