Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sklm

Pathetic Broadband

Hi all,

I got my 24Online Boardband connection gust yesterday from my local cable operator. I heard that they got the connection from WEBEL and WEBEL is getting the connection from Reliance.

The cable operator advertised as broadband upto 256 kbps. That means I can expect atleast 100-150 kbps at midnight? But it was my dream when I checked the speed on the last night. I was downloading a torrent file of 422MB with BitLord 1.1. Today 11-10-2005 at 9am I saw the remaining download is 240MB. The download strted at 10PM on 10-10-2005. This is Boroadband? Now I still downloading the file with the average speed @ 2-3KBps. I just called the cable operator about this speed and he replyed that we advertised upto 256kbps and I asked him that upto means 20-28kbps (2-3KBps) and then he replyed that no not that you can get 256kbps also when there is less users online. I told him that it was 5-6KBps allover the yesterday's night. He replyed we can't do anything. For this type of connection I agreed to pay Rs. 700/- + 10.2% TAX every month.

Is the GOVT. rule about the speed of bdoadband must be 256kbps or upto 256kbps.

I want to complain about this type service. Where to complain and whom to complain?

Any suggestions?

This "upto" thing is bull... like the "upto" 60% discount kinda trick. tricky b*****ds. ;)

and... im not sure if reliance is offering a 'broadband' cnxn as of now.dont know what this WEBEL does.

Anyways, this i kinow for sure - the govt defn of broadband is "above/minimum 256 kbps". ur guy should NOT call it broadband, strictly speaking... but hey, didnt u hear, "broadband" has been THE most mis-used word of the year.

These are shared connections meaning therby that many users from your locality would be using a part of this bandwidth.

You need dedicated lines where you actually get the best of speeds.

I think Airtel and MTNL/BSNL are providing the best speeds though MTNL adn BSL have download caps

2-3KBps for a 256Kbps (32KBps) connection is unacceptable. I have a 64Kbps (8KBps) connection and I get 5-7KBps regularly on torrents. Are you sure that he is giving you a reliance broadband connection or is he giving you powersurfer.net connection? Reliance broadband shouldn't come with a 24OnlineClient. It should be a PPPoE connection.

Where exactly are you located??

What is the data transfer limit per month for your connection ? If its unlimited, then 256 kbps for Rs.700 per month is cheap enough that they could be sharing the connection with many users.

The thing is that while they give you a max possible speed. They don't give you a minimum assured speed (kbps)/service level (uptime)!

For corporate connections a shared ILL (internet leased circuit) is shared amongst 4 at max. So that means for a 256 kbps shared IlL that you will get a minimum assured speed of 64 kbps and a max of 256 kbps.

But dont expect that kinda professional behaviour from Webel and similar service providers.

What is the data transfer limit  per month for your connection ? If its unlimited, then 256 kbps for Rs.700 per month is cheap enough that they could be sharing the connection with many users.

43639[/snapback]

How is it cheap when hes actually getting 2-3 kBps??? In fact such a low speed is unacceptable for almost anything ...except maybe text chatting. Whats more, what has been promised isnt whats being delivered! And that shouldnt be put up with!!

I'd suggest you confirm your connection speed with maybe some speed testing site. Try www.dslreports.com speed test ...there are others also.

And, just the speed is not the only parameter to measure your connection quality with. What about packet loss? I had taken a Hathway connection which was HELLway ...packet loss was around 50 to 80%!!! Not to mention other problems like speeds of 0.5 kBps sometimes and more than half the time it just would not work. No way I can put up with that ...and to make a long story short, I got them to disconnect it. Unfortunately I'v paid 6 months advance (Rs. 3,306 with tax) to avoid installation charges. And now they are telling me that I'll only get about Rs. 800 as refund! I guess I'll have to date them in court... :)

I'v just got my BSNL Dataone connection (256 kbps) and tested it late last night. Gave a sustained throughput of around 29-30 kBps while dl a Rapidshare file. :) But BSNL's customer service is absolutely pits! But at least the #$&! connection works!!!

Heard of Consumer Court? well all u need to do now is to drag ur friendly neighbourhood ISP to court!!!

Cheers

Ashok

Giys, please don't try yto count your d/l speed on the basis of Torrent d/l speed! Install netmeter or use features like "Download a test file" with Download accelerators.

You can also go to zdnetindia.com to check your net speed. Pls close all the apps while running the test.

I am answering one by one.

Yes, this connection from Reliance. I confirmed it with my close friend who is also a sub-cable operator in just 50 meter from my location. He said this connection is comming from a Reliance BTS which is 500 meters from my location and was marketed by WEBEL.

This 256kbps @ Rs. 700/- pm with no download limitation (unlimited).

hi raccoon,

you asked about the packet loss. There was not a single packet lost in last 48 hours.

http://www.niitstudent.com/india/ this site showing my connection speed like:

Test Your Connection Speed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your connection speed is 6230 bytes/sec

Your connection speed is 50 kbps

previously it shown 42 kbps.

The only best thing in this connection is the webpages openning very fast. I tryed to open www.2advanced.com and the whole page opened in 2 minutes and 55 seconds after clicking on the ENTER link on the site. Try to open this site and look how much time to takes to open?

I am from Chandernagar which is just 33km north of Kolkata. Not too far from Utsav right?

router? Software type or Hardware type? If software then good if hardware then I think you know the price.

Just see what http://www.niitstudent.com/india/ shows my 256 kbps DataOne speed as -

Test Your Connection Speed

------------------------------------------------

Your connection speed is 12541 bytes/sec

Your connection speed is 100 kbps

5 mins before it showed 68 kbps. Wierd! :)

niit student do not give right connection speed estimates, I use BSNL 256 KBPS broadband and gives 25-35 KBPS DL speed donsistently, at times it is about 45-50 too. At NIIT it shows only 6027 bytes / 48 kbps. I still suggest all my rim web frnds to consider BSNL over any one else as they give better services. Why loose money?

Broadband in india s**ks bigtime . When the TRAI said that only connections above 256Kbps could be called broadband . Sify did jump into the bandwagon only to place a 150MB cap during the day . 150MB .....???? that can be dlaoded in a paltry 90 minutes with that connection . Even though night times are free sify resorts to session expiries . Who is gonna reconnect at 2 in the morning :angry: . The dialer whose setup size increased from 4MB to a huge 8MB has really nothing much to offer .That darn thing dosent even have an auto reconnect feature . 8MB and no auto reconnect ??? . neway until the higher ups really take some initiative into providing broadband to the customers (which i doubt they will ever do) .Broadband in india will only be good for surfing the net

Edited by wastedtime

There are programs for this too :-called supersify which is an alternate sify client and helps to reconnect when the connection is broken. and another called sify guard which logs you off the moment ur daily limit is reached.

Just google around and you can find these, pm incase u need help!

and the 256 kbps family pack is another shared one,

The night unlimited 256 which is reasonably priced gives u real good speeds

Edited by tanveer

Hi all

I tred the same test the resulsts varies form 44kbps to 55 kbps.

Below are the test results

Test Your Connection Speed Your connection speed is 6672 bytes/sec

Your connection speed is 53 kbps

I am using a lan internet coneection, which i connect through PPOE,

charges are Rs 550 per month for 64 Kbps.

Other options he has is to go for

128 Kbps for 750

256 Kbps for 1000 per month

the connection is based on unlimited usage.

I think i have a good deal, what do u guys think ??

this is what i got

Your connection speed is 10363 bytes/sec

Your connection speed is 83 kbps

I have a 96kbps connection