Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
IC£MAN

Increase Your Mmc Card Space

Hi Friends,

Dear Mods hope this is the right place to post this & hope its not a repost.

Found this on one of the GSM sites i was surfing, hope its helpfull.

Your files in MMC are stored in multiple (disk) blocks.

So if you format using 16K block, the space used will be 16K eventhough your file is just 1K.

If you buy MMC, it is usually preformatted with 16K block. Therefore alot of space is wasted as most installed program files are usually less than 2K.

You will need a card reader to do this:-

1. Connect card reader and copy all your files in the MMC to computer disk. (Make sure you set the show all/hidden/os files to "on")

2. Do a format of the MMC using command line "format" and use the /A=size option.

Alternative, you can use the Disk Management in Adminstrative Tools to format. Make sure you select FAT. For 256MB MMC, smallest block you can use is 4K, 128MB is 2K, 64Mb is 1K and 32MB is 512B.

(Note: You cannot use the phone "format MMC" to do this as the format just clear the allocation table and does not change the block size)

3. Copy back all files to MMC.

Now you will find that you will have more space.

256mb MMC got back 30+ mbs

Nice find dude!! Will try it soon.

yes that is true, but users of Digital Camera's please beware, as sometimes, the card data gets corrupted, when a "Block Compress Format" is performed.

For mobile phones, It might be perfect (never really tried it)

Cheers

Ashok

Manish that happened coz the filesystem read sector has been accidentaly corrupted... the MMC might not hold on to data for long.

If u wanna try, take a normal 1.44 floppy, using diskedit, change the 3 byte to A1 it will show u a HUGE!!!! disk! now that is not usable..

Cheers

Ashok

hmm a logical one since mobile files are usually small so we can use that extra space

Manish that happened coz the filesystem read sector has been accidentaly corrupted... the MMC might not hold on to data for long.

If u wanna try, take a normal 1.44 floppy, using diskedit, change the 3 byte to A1 it will show u a HUGE!!!! disk! now that is not usable..

Cheers

Ashok

46260[/snapback]

Yes you are right ashok it does not hold more data that 249MB but shows 4 GB

r2m

Hi ICE MAN,

Well just bought a 512 MB MMC card and it is showing 489.7 mb as the CARD SIZE...is this the same reason that the mmc capacity is reduced ? WHAT SHALL I DO and is it safe to actually change the structre of this CARD ?

Thanx

The Cyberwiz

TARUN

Well just bought a 512 MB MMC card and it is showing 489.7 mb as the CARD SIZE...is this the same reason that the mmc capacity is reduced

Hi Tarun,

It is a simple reason to all memory device. The technically they calculate the space based on 1KB=1024 but really they calculate based on 1KB=1000. This is the reason u purchased 512 MB MMC Card but get 489.7 MB.

Simple calculation (512 * 1000 * 1000 )/(1024*1024), after calculation u will get about 489.7, which u get. Enjoy ur new MMC.

Thanks and Take Care!

Bingo RajanPERT ... Thanks i could not explain it any better then the way you have put it sir. Thanks.

It is also in d case of hard disks 80 gb hard disks shows only 74 gb i.e huge 6gb GABAN :clap:

U r right. So i explained, it happened with all memory device. Don't know why this principle apply.

Thanks Annish. Always for help. Its my work.

Keep Posting at RIMWEB.

Thanks and Take Care!

This left space is used for MBR,DBR,TOC IN ne storage devices. :clap:

U r right. But it require only some mega byte (MB) Space, not so much (i.e. 6 GB in ur case). In 80 GB case u will get about 74.50 GB space. from which some space is used by MBR, DBR, TOC. than u will get about 74 GB space. But above difference of 6GB is due to difference between both logic of understanding the number. Computer used Binary number so it calculate based on 1024, while we use decimal number so we calculate based on 1000. Thats all the difference. Great logic who think this.

Thanks and Take Care!

and again ... the storage also is dependent on the FS being used... if someone is really intrested, just message me on Y! messenger (sometime during the day ... if i am around, I will show u a small OS designed by my friend Ramji, this OS coded almost entirely in ASM and C, including a altogether FS...)

Even I need to search for the docs. .. but I guess I can still explain ways to cheat the OS to show things beyond the scales :clap:

Another thingy ... lotsa people cited around sending mails too that u cannot make a folder with "con" "aux" etc....

do this

start -> run -> cmd

cd\

mkdir \\.\c:\con

try it out mates :clap:

Cheers

Ashok

explained earlier ... excellently by RajanPERT mate... check his post

Cheers

Ashok

Hi Guys...

Well thanx for the Help so far and the good idea of utilising some more space on our MMC..but I just noticed something since last 1 - 2 days. Thought of asking you all.

I find that my battery finishes more sooner than it normally did, afterI have started to use the 512 MB MMC card ??!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this has anything to do with the CARD SIZE or Can there be any problem with my card ?

Thirdly after I bought my sister Nokia 6630 the dealer also told me that there are 2 types of MMCs.....One with Single frequency and the other with double frequency...( I hope I am using the correct word frequency here )

So is there any performance difference here. Obviously the double frequency is more expensive than the single one.

MY 512 MB MMC card of NCP company came for Rs.1800 ???

ANY inputs and facts would be appreciated.

Frequency ? for MMC ? Hearing that for the first time.....

Frequency if I am not mistaken is the number of times something happens (and what happens on an MMC ? ) do u mean a double life ? like say 20000 writes?

Cheers

Ashok

I think he was refering to the dual voltage and not frequency card. 6630 uses a rsMMC (reduced size MMC) which operates on dual voltage.

ohh k... then it is understandable. .. coz freq on MMC will be a first time in my life :)

Cheers

Ashok

I have corrupted 64 MB and 256 mb MMC Card when i format it through dos it will format card but at the end it give error "Bad partition table".

I have already use FDISK to create partition table, but it dosn't work.

Please help me.