Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maximus

Crippled 6255

Hi,

I would like to share this with you. I have bought a Nokia 6255 and have found that its usefulness has been crippled by RIM services in the following way:

1. No Multi-part SMS: Yes, although Nokia 6255 supports multi-part SMS (SMS which contains more than 160 characters and which is charged as more than 1 sms), since RIM does not support this feature, it has meddled with the software of the handset and as a result, you simply cannot write an SMS which is more than 160 characters. Not just that, if your friend has a GSM mobile and if he or she sends you a multi-part SMS, RIM will not allow such a message to reach you! Also, because of this, you will also not be able to send picture messages to other mobiles, since each picture message is about 3 SMS messages. You will also not be able to send business card because of it.

2. No WAP surfing: Although Nokia 6255 has a WAP 2.0 browser, RIM has disabled WAP surfing for it. As a result, you only have to be content with browsing its pathetic R-World service minus WAP surfing.

3. MMS: Your MMS through this handset, as with other handsets RIM offers, simply do not reach other networks although they do reach e-mail addresses.

4. E-mail: Although, Nokia Website says that this handset supports email messages, RIM has totally disabled "Email Messages" option from the handset's "Message" menu. As a result, you will simply not be able to download email messages from you POP3 servers to your mobile, although the handset is capable of that.

5. Apps: I am not sure, if this is because RIM has disabled it or what, but you will find that you cannot install java apps and games on this handset. The mobile simply does not recognise the jar or jad file although theoretically it should.

I wish RIM had not crippled this marvelous handset to such an extent, and had allowed its patrons the pleasure of its full features.

Thanks,

Maximus

I also hate it, as much as you do.

I'd love to distribute my MMS clips from 6255 ... but can't !!!

I'd love to distibute my beautiful pics but can't.

If anyone wants to buy my 6255, pm me. Please.

There is no alternative.

5. Apps: I am not sure, if this is because RIM has disabled it or what, but you will find that you cannot install java apps and games on this handset. The mobile simply does not recognise the jar or jad file although theoretically it should.

We all have tried it and have successfully installed games and applications.

If you need help pm me

As for the other things yes, I do agree that with so many other things Reliance has deprived the users of some wonderful services.

Patience my boy ... the day is not far when handsets will no longer be on the networks monopoly... already u can use RUIMs on other handsets ... Reliance will need to provide all the options for handsets it launches (at least on such marvels like 6255)

Or else wait for someone to fiddle and screw their happiness

Cheers

Ashok

I just dont like the fact that there is no WAP access. If they provide it on the Kyocera, no reason why they cant here. Especially considering it would be 100000000 times better than Jatayuus software.

I just dont like the fact that there is no WAP access. If they provide it on the Kyocera, no reason why they cant here. Especially considering it would be 100000000 times better than Jatayuus software.

47099[/snapback]

*#BROWSER# to access MINI BROWSER MENU but dont know the server settings

Thanks Manish. I'm the one who first discovered and posted that hack here. ;)

I cant get a third party wap server that I can connect to. But I dont think RIM would allow that anyways.

Thanks all of you guys for such invaluably helpful replies. That after all java apps can be installed on 6255 -- thanks to Tanveer -- and that "Mini Browser" options can be accessed on the handset -- thanks to Manish -- are pretty useful tips indeed. Keep it up. We can pressurize RIM into giving all the services if this forum continues this way, I hope.

Thanks once again,

Maximus

Edited by Maximus

Thanks Manish. I'm the one who first discovered and posted that hack here. ;)

I cant get a third party wap server that I can connect to. But I dont think RIM would allow that anyways.

47110[/snapback]

Naaa reliance dont allow that i tried Airtel and hutch settings but didnt work

Maximus: You forgot to thank me, for my post ;)

47112[/snapback]

Oh, how could I ever forget you! You were the first one to ever reply to this topic. Thanks a million. Keep it up.

By the way, thanks to Manish, I believe that we are pretty close to solving the WAP mystery. If only someone using Kyocera can read the server and port settings from his/her handset and post it here!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks all of you once again, especially you, SexyGurl.

Maximus

SMS is compabtible with all mobile services! Only LONG SMS messages arent support.

MMS compatibility is a RIM-vs-other-service-providers issue not a 6255 issue.

You CAN send emails through your phone. Just type it in as a regular TEXT message. Select SEND - SEND TO EMAIL and send it. You cant receive any emails on it. And thats the problem. This is a non-issue because you dont have POP, mail client etc support like in Blackberry devices.

OTA java apps cost between Rs. 50-100 to download and store (on Yahoo and the like). RIM charges Rs. 2 everytime you download the game. Use blue tooth. Its free. Its fun.

You CAN send emails through your phone. Just type it in as a regular TEXT message. Select SEND - SEND TO EMAIL and send it. You cant receive any emails on it. And thats the problem. This is a non-issue because you dont have POP, mail client etc support like in Blackberry devices.

OTA java apps cost between Rs. 50-100 to download and store (on Yahoo and the like). RIM charges Rs. 2 everytime you download the game. Use blue tooth. Its free. Its fun.

47136[/snapback]

POP3 emails is not a non-issue. Actually 6255 does have support for a POP3 account. Please refer to Nokia Website. It has been disabled by RIM.

There are a lot of WAP sites such as www.getjar.com which offer shareware and demo games and apps for free. If RIM provided WAP support for 6255, we would be able to download those files.

Thanks,

Maximus

Edited by Maximus

Only Hope in SMS compatibility with all mobile networks including multi-part SMS. May wait for other for a long time.

Thanks and Take Care!

PS: Reliance Style, So we are here.

Maximus - you can download jars anyways to your phone through mobimb!

As for POP the 6255 DOES NOT support it! Heres what the Nokia India website says:

* Send, receive and share short images, video and audio messages via MMS

* Predictive text input

* Send and receive emails

* Internal handsfree speaker

* Share picture highlights of your trip by creating a MMS slide presentation

The new 6256i that is being sold in the USA by Verizon does support POP3 & IMAP. Even the older 6255i did not support it.

Edited by anujit

Hi there,

Guys you are doing GR8.....BUT BUT BUT, can any one pl. let me know that how to LAUNCH the mini Browser ? I mean, how do I actually TYPE the *# and then the CHARACTERS : BROWSER ....etc....where do we type this and how do we launch ?

Secondly can't we simply subscribe to a WAP SITE / SERVICE provider to use the SERVER address on this MINI BROWSER ?

Hi there,

Guys you are doing GR8.....BUT BUT BUT, can any one pl. let me know that how to LAUNCH the mini Browser ? I mean, how do I actually TYPE the *# and then the CHARACTERS : BROWSER ....etc....where do we type this and how do we launch ?

Secondly can't we simply subscribe to a WAP SITE / SERVICE provider to use the SERVER address on this MINI BROWSER ?

48697[/snapback]

Typing BROWSER means typing the keys corresponding to the spelling, means in this case, it will be 276937.