Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
amc

Postpaid / Prepaid / RIP / Which handset?

RIM is now offering recharge refills with a ONE year valadity (untill 31st March 2005) with Nokia 2280 prepaid plan. This package comes at Rs. 6500.00

This is good news for low volume users as they can now make calls for one year compared to the previous 6 months.

I am considering this purchase mainly to use the R Connect services to access the net while travelling in India. Would appreciate feedback from actual users of Nokia 2280 and their experiences using R Connect.

Thanks.

please dont go for prepaid for rconnect services. they charge rs.1 per min. go for post paid plans with other plans.

nokia is also available for rs.4000.

Thanks Greens,

What model would you recommend for the postpaid plan to use with the R Connect service.

best for rconnect is lg2030 or 2130.

i am using 2030 and works fine

vin :grin:

RIM is now offering recharge refills with a ONE year valadity (untill 31st March 2005) with Nokia 2280 prepaid plan. This package comes at Rs. 6500.00

I wonder if they have the same offer with the LG RD 2030?

I am a newbie migrating from GSM to RIM.

Apart from making and receiving calls, I would be mainly using the R Connect services.

I would appreciate feedback and experiences from actual users of both LG RD 2030 and Nokia 2280 while using the R Connect services.

I have personally seen both the models and am leaning more towards the Nokia 2280. However I thought it would be best to get suggestions from the RIMWEB.com community to help me make my decision.

Thanks to you all.

although ive been having a few problems with my lg phone, i would recommend it for r connect becuase it worked perfectly for almost a year.. makes methink its a problem with windows

Thanks gdi123 for your feedback.

I would appreciate more comments from other users of Nokia 2280 as well as LG 2030 users.

Thanks to you all.

Well, i've merged both ur topics "amc" coz they r both on the same lines, and basically its for selecting the right kind of handset for R-Connect.

umm... i'ven't ever used R-connect specifically. But i wud rather suggest u to look into deeper aspects than to jus select the right handset. Handset is definitely an imp thing... but look at it this way.

Firstly, u need to identify ur usage pattern. Meaning, would u be using ur phone, as a mobile or more for R-Connect and hence as a landline! Most ppl fail to establish this fact, and then complain of huge bills. If u r really goin to use ur phone at one location and hence more for R-Connect, the best and the cheapest option would really be LG Fixed Wireless Phone(FWP). The R-Connect rates are drastically low here and the call rates are also very low compared to the present Postpaid or Prepaid tariffs. Check here for tariffs and Internet access charges of FWP.

If at all u r sure on being really "mobile" and hence wanna go for a Rel Mobile, then the problem(maybe its coincidental) at rimweb.com is Statistics show that we have plenty of LG users as opposed to Nokia users. Hence u might end up with a biased view in favour of LG here. Have u checked up Samsung users as well? NIKET uses Samsung for R-Connect and maybe he can put his views here abt the handset and R-Connect for himself.

Apart from that, PREPAID is definitely expensive for R-Connect, but if u r goin for POSTPAID, u might invariably end up with huge bills in the range of 1000-1500 (if u r using ur phone for calling as well as Internet). The amt i am stating here is a regular amt which ppl who are medium R-Connect and call users.

To be sure on ur pockets and whether u wud be able to spend the right amt on it, i would suggest not jus to look at the "entry" issues of R-Connect. Meaning, dont pay much attention to how much will the handset cost and all, rather take keen interest in a comprehensive understanding of ur usage! Say u would be using R-Connect for 5 hrs a day. Calculate the charges for the month and rem to add Rs. 200/- for R-Connect rentals as well... and accordingly u'll be able to understand how much dent is this venture goin to have on ur pocket each month! ;)

phew.... ! Hope this much helps... Any more info on the handsets, our techies r all here to help u out ! -_- And maybe u could personally visit a RWW and request them to have u try a LG and Nokia Handset for R-Connect at their WW! If tht happens, nothing like it!

:ph34r:

Is it true that ISP charges are less for RIP FWP than for RIM?

I've been told that there is a monthly fee for RIM but not for RIP.

If the fees is 200 and a FWP data cable costs 600,

it should break even in 3 months of usage (I already have RIM data cable).

Just trying to decide if I should switch my surfing over to my LG.

Thx,

itz 100% true, the rates are on hourly basis, ie. min comes around rs.11 per hour during night times and double that during daytimes in higher end plans.

so definetly rates are cheaper. apart from that 10 paise per min for isp is charged with reliance india phones.

cables are also cheaper.

contact ww for detailed tariff.

Dear All,

I wanted to know which is the best handset for R-Connect internet connection. I want to buy reliance phone for mainly internet connection.

Is color display phone LG 7130 good for R-Connect ?

Is there any speed difference between black & white and color phones.

Which phones are better for internet connection - color or black & white ?

how is LG RD 2130 for internet connection? Is it better then LG RD 2030 ?

Finally i see many USB cables for RD 2130 AND RD 2030 which can charge and deliver internet access simultaneously available at www.baazee.com are these cables good ?

Any experience or advice will be highly appreciated.

Have a great day.

:)

I don't think there is any difference between the most of the phones in terms of speed. They all operate @ 144kpbs EXCEPT THE LG CAM MODEL! The cam model is an CDMA EVDO phone capable of up to 2.4 Mbps.

One of the non-EVDO phones might perform marginally better than the others because of superior built-in software and signal reception capabilities - but the difference will be very very marginal.

However for the EVDO phone - you wont quite get 2.4 Mbps download speeds right away because Reliance doesn't support EVDO features as yet. So you'll be stuck with 144khps for a while. Expect RIM to upgrade their networks from CDMA2000 1x to EVDO by the end of this year. And then you'll see the LG CAM phone really shine!

think you're confusing R Connect (internet connection via computer) with R World (wap site through the phone!) Bored!

And the light not working (its a bug not a feature :);) )!!!

I would like to add that Nokia 2280 is the best for using R connect on the move..

The reason is unlike LG RD 2030 its light does not turn on and off.. so battery last longer

SO.. if u want a truly mobile experience with R connect..like in a car or park.. Nokia 2280 is the best

I heared other people say that nokia 2280 is not best for internet usage (r-connect) on computer ?!!!!

ok but on your words i will keep in mind that nokia also works good. its time to check for computer cables for nokia.

hi.....was interested in purchasing a mobile primarily for net access, and so wanted to know the various supported data speeds of AVAILABLE handset models and their performance......hopefully this would help people considering to purchase RIM for their net access.

please provide the model no. of your phone and the connection speed between the phone and the pc, as well as the maximum speeds attained while downloading...also tell if the charger and the data slots are different so that the phone could be charged while surfing even when using a local data cable....finally drop a note if you would recommend that handset for internet access.

I'll start off with my phone- LG LSI 110 (even though FWP).

supported phone data speed (connection between phone and pc) = 115kbps

Average download speed = 14 KB/s

Max speeds attained (at nights) = 17 KB/s (consistent)

data cable is a normal usb cable and charging is independent of data cable.

Recommendation = Highly recommended if you are looking for a FWP with internet access. apparently gives you higher speeds than shows reportedly, 'coz 17 KB/s = 136kbps (which is theoretically impossible as the connection speed displayed is 115 kbps).....

please share your experieces and comments!!!!

Edited by TeeKay

Hi TeeKay,

It is very useful post to the new user for RConnect. I have Two Models for RConect.

ONE

Phone Model - LG LSP 340E (FWP).

Average download speed = 11.5 KB/s

Max speeds attained (at day time of one National Holiday) = 21 KB/s

Data Cable is a Serial cable and charging thru Power Adopter.

(Always Switch of the Phone, When Charger is on Phone will ON. So Power not dependend by Battery)

Recommendation = I think it is good for RConnecT.

TWO

Phone Model - LG RD 2030

Average download speed = 10.5 KB/s

Max speeds attained (at day times) = 19 KB/s

data cable is a normal usb cable and charging is independent of data cable.

(Always Removed the Battery And Hole Power thru the same Data Cable. Battery will safe - Buying from Baazee.com)

Recommendation = Not Bad, Highly Recomeded for Mobile users.

Phone Model - LG RD 2030

Average download speed = 8.0 KB/s

Max speeds attained (at day times) = 19 KB/s

data cable is a low cost serial cable

dormancy is the only irritating factor, else it is a good way to get connected especially for laptop users.

If you can catch hold of samsung 191, not available new, so may have to go for used one, it has excellent data transfer rate and it has fever driver problems. Do not use nokia 2280, its worst. Nokia has good compression, but it does not disconnect easily, it may take upto 1-2 minutes before really disconnect. Some times it does not get disconnected at all and you have to reboot system.

LG 2030 is also good but not as good as 191. Only problem with 191 is that it require good uality data cable, else phone hangs. However data transfer with 191 is really robust.

What speeds can you get with Samsung N191??

i have a samsung sch n91 and it used to get connected at 230 kbps (connection between pc and the phone) and the download speeds used to be 14 - 15 kbps (average) and maxed out at 20 kbps!! its a great phone to surf the internet but the battery standby is poor. so you need to keep charging the phone while surfing or else th battery would not last more than an hour or so.

another thing that i wanted to know if anybody could help me, i currently have a samsung sch n191 which was under dapo and stands disconnected due to some incorrect billing issues which need to be sorted out between me and reliance.... is it possible to switch no.s in my case if i were to purchase a new handset and transfer the dapo no. to that handset and get the new no. on sch n191 using GSK and HCC. I had purchased an original n191 cable for 1200 bucks and don't want that to go waste. please let me know if this is possible.

Edited by TeeKay