Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
IC£MAN

Setting Up And Optimizing The Kyocera 7135

This thread is for posting information about setting up and optimizing the 7135 for those that first get the phone. I've tried to compile a list of things that gathered from various sources. I hope others will add suggestions as well.

Settings:

Set the keypad sounds to clicks in the Phone Prefs: this speeds up the reaction time of the keys

Set the Date & Time option to manual in the PDA prefs: this alleviates the flip delay associated with the phone trying to synch the time from the cell phone network each time the phone is openned

Lower the brightness: it has been reported that this helps with battery life

Turn off beam recieve: Old Palm trick that supposedly also helps with battery life

Soft reset: Many have reported more stable operations by doing a regular soft reset .

Utility Applications-

Contrast fixer (Dave Walthall): helps solve an issue with the contrast washing out on the phone.

Energy Saver (Dave Walthall): Utility that turns off the phone side when no cell phone signal is present then turns on the phone at regular intervals to check for a signal. This prevents excessive battery drain when searching to a signal.

Jot or Teal script: adds extra graffiti functionality especially for those that don't prefer Grafitti2

BackupBuddy VFS (http://www.bluenomad.com/): Backup utility for backing up/restoring the phone and PDA data to/from an SD card. Usefull for restoring PDA/Phone data in the field without having to hotsync in the event of a crash.

Crash (http://www.79bmedia.com/): automatically soft resets the palm when it locks up. Version 2.3a which doesn't require a hack manager but I think the newest version requires one.

7135/Smartphone Applications:

Beebopper (Jonathan Bell) & KyoAmp: replacements for the under powered built in MP3 player

TakePhone (Shimon Shnitzer): Excellent dialer app that searches the address database

Minutes PLUS (Rick Whitt): Application to monitor and estimate phone minutes usage.

Directory Assistant (Rick Whitt): Look up phone numbers and addresses on a phone enabled Palm PDA.

Blazer/WebPro: Replacement browsers for the built in web browsers

SnapperMail: More featured email client that the built in mail app.

1Button voice recorder (Mike Evans): Launches the Voice Memo app and starts a new Voice memo on the 7135

Voice Memo Exchange, VMX (Stephan Marchant): Utility for exporting voice memos from the 7135 to the SD card.

Speaker Phone monitor (Dave Walthall): Turns off the speakerphone after a call.

Known Problem apps-

Avantgo- Many have reported resets associated with the use of Avantgo. Often it can be resolved by exiting Avantgo before closing the phone. Others have reported having to remove it.

That's it for now to get things started. I'm sure others have suggestions for applications and configurations that help them increase the functionality of thier 7135, so bring it on! :(

One thing that was missing that I have found to be my daily go to program is

Today 2.2

It is freeware on PalmSource.com. Link below:

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/inde...=7&prodID=38922

Or just go to Palmsource.com and type "Today" in the search area.

Runs perfect on my 7135. I assigned it to my Calendar button and it brought my PDA to life.

I highly recommend it to ALL 7135 users.

Description from PalmSource:

The Today application gathers information from the built-in applications Date Book, Mail and To Do and displays the things to do today together with current time and date and owner of the handheld device. Other applications (e.g. DateBk4) can be launched instead of the built-in ones.

ZLauncher ofcourse... for a more functional launcher...

BackupMan: for backups... I just prefer it.

DopeWars: To pass time while on hold.

MyWorkBench: For enhanced file manager. You can even use resco file explorer.

AcidImage: Better Picture Viewing / maybe faster too.

For a better Browser try Blazer its nice, uploading it for you all. Sorry Cannot upload. ( Mods Help )

Just my 2 cents for the 7135 family.

Will keep you guys updated.

Ps : This is information gathered after hours of serching online and Trial & error, so please use at your own risk.

Edited by IC£MAN

can u tell its cost n availability

Well Supernova its available with Mohsin ( id = Kalyanprince ) for Rs 15,000.

Nice phone if you looking for a Pda

thanks iceman ......... before ur post i aleady bought it from him.

Great .... I am positive if you set it up right you will be more then happy with it.

The File added is a good web browser better then the one provided try it guys.

blazer.zip

webprov.zip

Edited by Ashokjp

How do I create MP3 ringtones for the 7135?

Creating MP3 ringers for the 7135 can be a little tricky. You need to keep in mind the following:

• Amount of time the ringer should last.
  • It will loop during the duration of the incoming call, so even if it's 5 seconds long, it will play over and over again until the incoming call is answered or times out.
  • Making a real long ringer is fine, but you may not hear it all if you answer your calls quickly.
  • The MP3 you choose, and the ringer it creates is yours, and the loudness of it is your problem

There are some basic things you will need to edit, convert, and load this successfully (other than already having the software installed for synchronizing your 7135 to the PC):

• Kyocera MP3 - Ringer Maker - You can find it under the "7135\Additional Apps\MP3 Ringer Maker\" directory on the CD.
  • MP3 to WAV converter - You can find free and free to try converters here for Windows. I happen to use Easy CD-DA Extractor as it does CD ripping, converting, bit rate changing, etc all in one application. MP3 is a compressed audio file that can't really be edited properly. It's a "zipped" version of the WAV that is extracted as it's played. Some editors will allow you to edit the MP3, but you are really editing the WAV, and that's fine.
  • WAV editor - (Windows PC's come with "Sound Recorder" in the accessories folder on the start menu. It works fine for this). If you need a WAV editor, look here.

This is assuming you already have the MP3 you want to use. If you don't have the MP3, but have a CD with a song you want to use, the link above also shows CD rippers/encoders for extracting CD audio to a WAV or MP3 file. Once you have your MP3 file, you will need to convert it to a WAV file for editing using the following steps:

1. Take the WAV file and open it in your favorite WAV editor. Find the section you want to use as the ringer sound and remove the audio before and after that section in time. Depending on the editing software you use, you can change the properties of the WAV file and play with the sounds.
  2. Save the edited WAV file (some editors will allow you to save it as a MP3, and that saves the need to convert it.
  3. Convert the new edited WAV, back to MP3 using your converter. If it asks you for the bit rate, etc, stick with anything between 64-128kbps. Any more is useless for a ringer as the "quality" is not that important, any less will have poor sound. I personally use 64kbps for the ringers to keep them small, and they sound great while making a 20 second ringer only 80kb.
  4. Rename the new MP3 file to something seven characters or less. I would recommend ring001.mp3, ring002.mp3, etc.
  5. Open the Kyocera MP3 - Ringer Maker application. Browse to your new MP3 using the "Open File" button.
  6. Choose ringer as the type of sound you want to create.
  7. Leave the "Maximum kB" box blank.
  8. Press the create button.

The Kyocera MP3 - Ringer Maker will create a PDB file in the same directory as the MP3 you used. Install this PDB like any other Palm application to the handset via a synchronization. After installation, reset the 7135 by pressing the reset button under the battery door. Your new ringer will be available after it boots back up.

Another Option

Another option is to not edit the MP3. You can pick any MP3 you want using the Kyocera MP3 - Ringer Maker. The "Maximum kB" box will allow you to specify the size of that file. What this does is allows the tool to start from the beginning of the MP3 and create the ringer until it reaches the size limit you specified. For example, if you have a 4MB (4096KB) MP3, and you specify a 1000KB limit, you will get about 1/4 of the MP3 as the ringer. I that happened to be a 4 minute MP3, more than likely, that's around a one minute ringer. This is obviously the easy way, but leaves you to the mercy of the beginning of the song.

Either way, the PDB contains the raw MP3, with a Palm wrapper. You'll notice this when you see that the convert works in a second no matter the size of the file.

[/font]

Edited by IC£MAN

Things You Can Do With Your Kyocera 7135

MP3 player with stereo earbuds

Use it as a TV remote

SSH into my webserver

Track Gas Mileage

Check Register (with Money)

Check news and movie times with Avangto

Email/Web stuff

Games, lots of games.

Fax/modem when on the road

DocsToGo to use Word/Excel files for work

eBooks

Image viewer to show off family and other cool pics

Unit conversion/calcuator for work

Dictionary

Intimate positions reference manual...ahem ( ashoksoft you there )

Bar drinks database

Start Your CAR with it.

.................. Lots more will kep you guys posted.

Edited by IC£MAN

Things You Can Do With Your Kyocera 7135

MP3 player with stereo earbuds

Use it as a TV remote

SSH into my webserver

Track Gas Mileage

Check Register (with Money)

Check news and movie times with Avangto

Email/Web stuff

Games, lots of games.

Fax/modem when on the road

DocsToGo to use Word/Excel files for work

eBooks

Image viewer to show off family and other cool pics

Unit conversion/calcuator for work

Dictionary

Intimate positions reference manual...ahem ( ashoksoft you there )

Bar drinks database

Start Your CAR with it.

.................. Lots more will kep you guys posted.

Hi All,

With regards to the network support, there are many issues unresolved as on date. Here in Delhi it is told that this handset does not work fine . Also email and other utilitiies are not available on the network for this PDA. Also all of PDA functionalities are not there nor upgradable

This offer is also there in North India for Rs 8000/ and is limited offer

You can talk for this with me on 9312925645 or at chn_rahul@yahoo.com

sorry mate, dont know about delhi but me using it in bombay and its serving me great. I logged in to R-connect & browsed on the phone too ( misplace the link that tells u how to, will upload that soon ), connected it as a modem also. let me tell u for 12000 or 13000 , its a steal and worth every penny & for 8000 its the best buy. The only drawback is the battery life it last only a day. Havent had a single network problem. The Mp3 player ( after installing bebooper ) is as good if not better then my ipod. The KYO supports 2gb of memory ( me using a 1gb currently ), you can store all word power point excell documents. Maintains your bank accounts. Loads of more functions ( can fill this entire page ). More then 10,000 freeware applications availabe to download. Try using KYO for SMS and u will never use another phone again. :( The most imp thing is that its a PDA phone so its gonna give u a little network problem, pls dont compare it to a nokia, seimens or anyother phone. If configured right, its a great buy. I am Loooooving it. :D

ICEMAN aka anish u seem really impressed by this gadget almost to the extent of tempting me to go for it within 4 months of me buying my 6255( which is almost new since I got it exchanged)

But i guess i would wait, since I am not sure if I would stick to reliance once my DAPO finishes.

Anyways enjoy and keep looving this phone and do fill us in on anything new that you come across fiddling with this phone.

FAQ: Changing the SMS Messages Beep.... AND other System Sounds! Question:

Can I customize the SMS Messages "Beep" with a mp3?

Answer:

Yes you can! As soon as I got my 7135 this was one of the first issues I wanted to figure out and I was successful! biggrin.gif

Here's what I did to make a MP3 into a "Beep" for the SMS Messages app:

CAUTION: This does involve replacing a default system file! If you create the file incorrectly you may encounter problems--

be sure you read these directions completely & carefully and feel free to ask questions if you are unsure about what is happening. The original "Beep" can be restored from the ROM by deleting your custom mp3 and then perform TWO soft-resets.

Step 1. Choose your victim: Select the mp3 you wish to make into your SMS Beep. I used the 3 second 64kbps mp3 of the Beatles: "Send me a postcard, Drop me a line!" which I think I downloaded from this forums "7135 Files" section. (Thank you whoever that was! biggrin.gif) I have also tested a 96kbps file, however like the flips and ringers, I wouldn't use a 128kbps just to be safe. Name your file KWC_sms.mp3 - I have included the Beatles version below if you want to skip to Step 3.

Step 2. Prep the patient: This is the easy part. Kyocera has already given us the ability to create the file, we just never knew it! Open the Kyocera Mp3maker app on your desktop and browse for the KWC_sms.mp3 file from Step 1 above. Choose "Tone" as the sound type and press "Create". Before you install this file rename the resulting KWC_sms.mp3.pdb to KWC_sms.prc

Step 3. Safety First: In the Messages apps "Incoming

messages.." settings, select "Disabled" for each option: Pager, Text Msg & Net Alert. You can skip this step during the install as long as you complete Step 5 BEFORE you receive another SMS message.

Step 4. Transplant the file: I used XP to beam it to my 7135, however you can sync it as well. If beamed it should ask you if you want to replace the existing file. Answer yes. Those that use the install tool to hotsync the file will NOT be asked to replace the file. Copying from a SD card will not work -- it will tell you the file on the RAM is not writable. (see discussion below)

Step 5. Make the bypass: In order for the messages app to use the new mp3 file instead of the existing KWC_sms.prc from the ROM you will have to soft-reset TWICE. My unit did not recognize it until after two resets. My guess is one is for the palm-side and the other is for the phone-side. Ether way better safe than sorry.

Step 6. Reverse Step 3: In the Messages apps "Incoming messages.." settings, select "Soft Beep" or "Load Beep" for the options you want to hear the new mp3: Pager, Text Msg & Net Alert.

YOUR ALL SET. Send yourself a Text message, a Page or figure out how to get a Net Alert and you should hear your new mp3 sound instead of the standard Beep.

NOTES: Kyocera obviously did not intend for this to happen so it could cause problems --use at your own risk -- My unit has been running flawlessly for two days with the new beep. biggrin.gif

To remove the mp3 SMS beep:

Step A: Perform step 3 above.

Step B: Use file manager or Filez to delete the KWC_sms.prc file. (You may see two of them, but the ROM version will not let you delete it, so find the other one wink.gif )

Step C: Soft-reset TWICE and then perform step 6. YOU MUST RESEST TWICE before you receive your next SMS or your 7135 will Freeze! I reset ONCE and it still froze, But TWICE removed it perfectly.

-----------------------------------

WARNING DO NOT INSTALL THE FILE BELOW WITHOUT READING EVERYTHING ABOVE!

PS : Yes Tanveer i am enjoying it ........ cool phone

kwc_sms__beatles.zip

Edited by IC£MAN

How To Connect To R-Connect and Surf The Net on Your KYO 7135 PDA To Use R-connect to surf on the PDA. Use the PDA phone as you would any other mobile phone or Palm PDA. Besides these features, the PDA phone can also be used to access the Internet. There are two ways to access the Internet with your PDA phone: directly through your PDA phone or by connecting the phone to your computer as a wireless modem. To Activate & subscribe to the R Connect service To activate R Connect please call up Customer Care. To access the Internet directly through your PDA phone, please configure your phone as follows. 1. Open the PrefsPDA application on the PDA. 2. Tap on the list box in the upper right corner and select Network. 3. Set the Service to 'Reliance'. Enter the User Name: As your phone number without the zero. 9300000000. Your Password: Is the same as the User Name. 4. Tap on Connect To connect your phone to your computer as a wireless modem, there are three basic steps that need to be followed. Step 1. Install the modem drivers. Step 2. Configure a Dial-Up Network Connection Step 3. Connect to the Internet.

Edited by IC£MAN

Guy's After reading all above reviews on PDA ..........Dont u think that even U should have such RIM Handsets... Which is not just a handset..But a MINI LAPTOP........ :clap:

If ur intrested let me know ...........Just call me at 09324711118

I have already given Handsets to

Basant

Ashok

Iceman

Munnamobile

Supernova

For what are u waiting.. call me up for the best deal u will ever find............ :clap:

Iceman ... I am loving each and every post of urs... btw I've managed some more nice jhols .. will keep u posted (doing night shifts now .. so I am not online at nights :clap: )

Cheers

Ashok

Hi all...

I am facing few issues with this handset...See if any of you can help.

1. I cannot connet to Rconnect. In the PDPrefs > Network....The settings are preset to reliance. The usename is 'internet' and the password is 'assigned'. I not able to change these settings.

2. The headset does not work properly, mostly is does not outputs voice. I have to adjust is to get some voice. Mostly it does not at all.

3. The earpiece volume is so low (even at the max) that it is not possible even in a silent room to listen clearly. I am not sure if it is the same with others too. Have to use the phone in speakerphone mode, but then you need privacy at times.

And ofcourse the battery...but then I knew about that. I am not sure if you guys are having the ame problems as I do. Do let me know, and also the solution is anyone has.

Thanks.

Edited by basant_jp

Volume is perfect for me ... I have used the headset / speaker phone and normal mode.

Try to do a quick reset or a hard reset ... so that any probablity of software issues can be ruled out ...

Connection settings ... now let us get to that ... what u need to do is to open Prefs PDA, and add a NEW SERVICE .. with the details as follows.

NAME "Reliance"

UserName : Ur mobile number (with a preceding 0)

Password : Ur mobile number (with a zero)

Connection : "Wireless Modem"

Phone : "#777"

and do not use the defualt browser ... try something else

Cheers

Ashok

PS : Btw the earpiece is a "Slant model" try to tilt the mouthpiece away from the ear ... and u will find a lot of improvement!

also install back-it-up and crash pro so that u NEVER loose data :clap:

Hi all...

I am facing few issues with this handset...See if any of you can help.

1. I cannot connet to Rconnect. In the PDPrefs > Network....The settings are preset to reliance. The usename is 'internet' and the password is 'assigned'. I not able to change these settings.

2. The headset does not work properly, mostly is does not outputs voice. I have to adjust is to get some voice. Mostly it does not at all.

3. The earpiece volume is so low (even at the max) that it is not possible even in a silent room to listen clearly. I am not sure if it is the same with others too. Have to use the phone in speakerphone mode, but then you need privacy at times.

And ofcourse the battery...but then I knew about that. I am not sure if you guys are having the ame problems as I do. Do let me know, and also the solution is anyone has.

Thanks.

1 Download and us ethe brower uploaded be me in the previous post... the net connection settings are given too. 2 Ear piece is working great, while talking on the phone its mono only the left earpiece works and MP3 is stereo 3 Remove the plastic that covers the ear piece mate. LOL i guess thats not letting u hear properly. 4 There is a battery problem 4 hrs of non stop mp3 play back is all it can handle. Suggest buy a back up battery or a travel charger. Anything else let me know bro. If u want some softwares u can mail me at annish(at)annishsarin(dot)com

Easter Eggs on the 7135

Try this for a real "Easter Egg":

Go to your PDA Prefs -> choose "General" from the drop down list (Where you adjust your Brightness and Contrast).

Now on the display screen draw a very small letter O (clockwise motion) in the far lower right corner. You should see an easter egg appear!

BTW, when you have this easter egg enabled watch out for random taxis driving across your screen!

Enjoy!

Edited by IC£MAN

kewl! one that one mate!!

three cheers

Ashok

Thanks.

Even I was worried about my 7135's earpiece's volume. As you sai, even I was using it with the speakerphone on, at the cost of privacy. But there is a simple answer to it. Do you see the protective plastic cover on the screen? It extends to the earpiece as well. And as it is quite thick, it blocks the voice.

Solution: Make holes on that cover on the earpiece, and voila! there you are. This worked perfectly for me.

Is it possible to read acrobad documents of size 10 20MB in this handset?

Hi ss rakesh,

You can read acrobat documents. Havent tried a 10 mb document but it should not be a problem if loaded on the memory card.

Thanks to you all guys! Ok...so my Kyo is all set now. I can browse internet, have a better call volume now. But the headset still s**ks, I have to adjust a lot to get clear voice from thr headset jack. I guess I would need to see the Kyo SC soon. Anyway, did any one figure out the way to play live streaming video on the set? I wish if I could watch DD news (or some other news channel) live on this set....Can watch porn vids as well, I not a porn lover though....he he he :D

I need Quickoffice...is it possible for anyone of you to send me one, or to point me to a download link?

Cheers!

Edited by basant_jp

It seems that each and every one is enjoying with kyocera PDA.. guys i will be soon here to learn all things from u all.....

Keep posting....

Edited by kalyan_prince

iceman ur posts regarding pda are great . if u dont mind then pl. msg , post or pm ur mobile no.