Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arun

Creative Advertising ? Better Watch Out !

11-yr-old boy sends notice to naukri.com

Press Trust of India

March 18, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chandigarh: An 11-year-old boy has sent a legal notice to a job website naukri.com claiming damages of Rs 1 crore for using part of his name 'Hari' allegedly in a derogatory manner.

Hari Bhanot, in his notice, charged that an advertisement of the site had resulted in mental harassment and agony as many of his friends and acquaintances have made him a butt of jokes after watching it on TV.

The advertisement in question has a person telling on phone the full form of the name Hari as "H for Hitler, A for Arrogant, R for Rascal and I for Idiot," it said.

The legal notice, sent by Aneesh Bhanot on behalf of his son Hari, says, "The advertisement is totally insensitive to the name Hari.

"The telecast of the advertisement has undermined the status, reputation, respect and self-confidence of my client and has severely affected his standing in the school, residential locality and social circle. After the advertisement came on air, many people known to my client have told him that they have a lower opinion of him," he claimed.

The notice wants withdrawal of the advertisement forthwith and a public apology from the website in the same manner and coverage as the advertisement has been given and pay Rs 1 crore as damages and said failing this criminal and civil proceedings would be filed against naukri.com.

----------------------------

Any Hari's in the forum ? Maybe you can try your luck as well :'(

Cool...his parents must have had been a great inspiration !..lolz

Heh,

It seems flaunting stupidity with blind and sick confidence is becoming creativity nowadys.

Cashing on the frustration of frustrates "MANTRA OF TODAYS IDIOTIC MARKETING AND

RELATED ADVERTISEMENT".

Keep watching ...

Don't forget the Balbir Pasha and Manjula ad. I am sure many Manjulas and balbirs are now in deep discussion with their lawyers! But really, it IS a bit humiliating, considering that the boy will be really teased by his school friends now.

For small kids getting harassed in the schools are matter of life and death. They lose confidence, they develop inferiority complex and eventually their lives become destroyed just because some irresponsible ad agency picked up some name. We as adults can manage such insults. Look at discussion forums when some one abuses other, the abused one gets back with vulgar words. Since adults know how to react, they do so; but for kids they do not even know how to properly retaliate or handle such situations? If such abuses continue for days or months, it will definitely impact his moral for sure. Good that this kid is taking up this issue with the court; only problem is the compensation which seems to be low!

Edited by Ramchi

hehe wish someone started an ADVERT on my name.

i shall be mentally affected for 10 crores :rolleyes:

so,what names should they use?donkey,dog,buffalo......these??

Why not?! Unless Animal rights wing do not sue the ad agency.

Infact, I have seen Animal rights wing taken up a case against one of the companies I used to work with when they aired a commercial in which Gorilla Monkey acted as a character. To counter Animal rights wing, the company had to provide all necessary details and telling them that they never intended to abuse the animal either physically [due to lightings, etc...] or otherwise [in the name of humor].

So if a Gorilla can have rights, why not a human being?

I am not saying what Naukri did was wrong? because it might have been unintentional but that does not make the litigation as bogus, greedy etc…

This litigation may bring some sort of awareness among various ad agencies on sensibilities of people that are characterized in their commercials. In that direction I welcome this law suit.

If the intention is to make quick money or if Naukri is trying to get some media attention thru proxy law suits, then it must not be encouraged.

litigations like this are surely ridiculous. If it goes on like this tomorrow Americans and english people will also object to using their names like RICE & BAKER etc. The court should think before entertaining such litigations

Ashokjp... the moment they say "ASHOK" in any damn ad... there I go!! I will call u and we can have a nationwide collection of "ASHOK's" and kaboom ... 10 crores per head!!

seems too reasonable :)

cheers

Ashok

The poor boy will lose the case. Filing a case is an act of desparation. What has Naukri.com got to do with teasing of a boy???

The boy needs to stand tall and bold, and turn a blind ear to those who tease him. Sooner or later, they will stop. This was what was told to us by our parents in our childhood :angry: