Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drali

Does Changing D Motherboard Need D Reinstallation Of Os?

i am using 2 Os - 98 & Xp at C & D drive. my mother board is 810E intel chipset now i m planning to change my M.B with compaq(intel) M.B.do i have to reinstall my both OS.

advice me.

thanx!

I guess yes, it is always safer to reinstall the two OSes, as the drivers of MB, onboard sound/graphics, USB etc will be reinstalled with new MB. If there is some error in installing the new drivers (and most probably there will be, given the 'reliability' of windows, machine will be in bad shape and you'll have to format it anyways. SO better to have a clean machine with new MB.

My 2 cents.

I don't think you need to really reinstall coz the system will detect the new hardware and according install/ask for new drivers.....

yup no need to reinstall the os but i would recommend u to do so coz the driver file and everything would be fresh then no dublicate or wrong drivers installed

i don't think so but if u r using genuine copy than i think u need to install it again

AFAIK, you have to re-install XP at least if not Win'98.

I had to do twice for my two computers.

Edited by khs123

you need to reinstall. Windoze needs to rebuild the VXDs or something...

hehehe widows needs to build itself up :P and make if somewhat like linux and remove IE from it

Abhay, infact if it were Linux, say Gentoo, then it wouldn't have worked at all. Gentoo is optimized for hardware i.e. it squeezes out every bit of performance from your hardware ( uses all possible built in instructions available on your hardware ). So when you change the hardware you would need to recompile the kernel to get your system working fine again! :unsure:

While other distros like Fedora, SuSE have more generalized kernels, they would adapt to new hardware without any problems, unlike Windoze here :unsure: