Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Utsav

Death Of Sch-n191: An Epidemic

:( This may sound weird but TRUE!

:P Take instance of my first Samsung SCH-N191 Handset, which I've bought from it's first owner an year back and used with reasonable care. But it died a couple of months back!

:'( Now, my SECOND Samsung SCH-N191 Handset, I borrowed from my brother-in-law a month back has also died of the same EPIDEMIC.

EPIDEMIC :quest:

------------

Yes, epidemic it is... as described by my local RIM dealer, all the Samsung SCH-N191 Handsets are dying.

Symptoms are:

(01) The handset switches off all off a sudden... even while talking!

(02) It vibrates if I press power switch to switch on again...

(03) Vibrates and the light on the top corner glows Green!

(04) It doesn't boot!

(05) After a couple of days, it boots! VOILA!

(06) But again shuts down without intimation!

(07) It vibratres/shows Green light while charging!

(08) It fails to charge!

(09) After a couple of days, it boots again! This time I use an HCC to shift the no.

(10) The same symptoms reappear.

:ph34r: With my first handset described above, I went to the nearby SAMSUNG authorised service center (Franchisee) and they claimed Rs.3500/- with reluctance for service! The main SAMSUNG Company Service center is a bit distant so I decided to try a bit of luck. I've given the set to a local Mobile Repairing shop and the set was made running after a week long wait. All the data from the set was lost now. I've paid Rs.250/- for it as it was booting while I was given the delivery, but it died soon after. It seems that the set Boots while the battery charge is at medium level and stays alive for a few minutes. Later, I moved to the main SAMSUNG Company Service center. It was so badly tampered (bny the local techie) that the SAMSUNG Company Service center said they need to replace te motherboard to revive the set.

:unsure: Now, do you think I should try my second Samsung SCH-N191 Handset with Main Samsung Service Center or accept that it is a breed facing extinction?

Edited by Utsav

You can give it a try. My 191 is still going strong without hickups so far. Hopefully, it will remain the same.

If the MotherBoard cost is not very high, you should give it a try. The problem with that handset is nothing but its Motherboard. Get it replaced.

If the MotherBoard cost is not very high, you should give it a try. The problem with that handset is nothing but its Motherboard. Get it replaced.

My N191 was too died with the same symptoms. when i went to samsung service center they said they will repair it but it will work for a week and charged Rs110/- there after the cell goes dead in 3 month.

I went to samsung service center they told me. that IC is not wrking and motherboard has to be replaced and the cost of it was Rs4500/- (dec 2004).

:'( :P I have kept the phone in showcase now.

sleeping quietly there. If the price of MotherBoard is reduced then plz reply i would like to give another try

well my samsung is 3 years and 3 months old..till now no such symptoms and working like a real Strong horse.....and this is one of the best handsets reliance has ever launched..i lv my 191 it rocks!

My n191 died after three years of use it died on 29th of april this year the problem is that it cannot receive signals but if I make a call to emergency no saved in the mobile it find the signal but after the call it drops the signal again and if I want to keep the signal I have to keep it in emergency mode and to make any calls first I have to put that no in emergency no list and then call it The ASC tells rs 2500 for repair

Samsung SCH N191 is one of the most loved CDMA sets ever launched in India. But, seems that the set is having some trouble due to unknown reason! Is there any technical reason that is beyond the set? I mean a gross network upgradation by Reliance which the N-191 is not compatible with?

bt am nt at all facing any problem..till date is working like aamir khan

That's gr8 @ksh@T, but what I am trying to warn ppl through this thread is that the phone runs smooth even before the last breath and it revives itself ehen the battery is at medium-low level.

So guys, better don't go for a cheap repair upto Rs.300/- which usually fails to make the phone ring for more than a couple of months. If you don't replace the m/b the phone usually sinks.

By the way, has anyone tried replacing the m/b?

Did anyone face this peculiar problem?

Samsung N191 : works fine in my area : Sleeps any outside area still in the same city

I reside at Indore. My phone works normally at my residence without any problem.

but when I go into city the phone stops responding. Even when the signal is full.

If I try to call I do not get any response. Many times it just drops the signal

level to zero and remains like that for some(otherwise simply it is not possible to

have zero signal next to the tower !). All my friends say they can not reach me.

I went to the samsung service centre. They say they have to replace the mother board.

I am surprised,.

because

if the circuit is bad it should give problem even at my residence. and the problem should

be coupled to signal level and not to where I am?

secondly when I went on a vacation this phone used to work in some places and it

just stops at many places!

Did anybody face similar problem?

I have seen prev. mails and I am going to try putting my home number as a emergency number

and see what happens

thanks everybody.

rgds

prsad indore.

What cost they gave you as estimated to replace the motherboard?

they say approx 2k

old hand set samsung n 191 is available for 800Rs max and my

friend says he can get one for me at Rs 500.

that is way.

they say approx 2k

old hand set samsung n 191 is available for 800Rs max and my

friend says he can get one for me at Rs 500.

guys ! doesnt it make sense to replace the handset itself per se rather than spending on the repair which costs more than the piece ??? y pay 3k-4k, when you can get a new handset for not more than 2.4k ..... ?

that is way.

I have faced the same problem with my two N-191 phones about a month back.

One of my phones went through the exact conditions as enumerated by Utsav. And the other one just does not switch on, neither does it gets charged.

The local authorized service centre is no good. I have sent it to another city's service centre through a friend. Let us see what he says.

Does anybody have a solution ?

Dear friends

My Samsung SCH Is going strong , I think when

these were launched they were used heavily by

users because of free initial schemes.

Do not forget these sets had a

problem of heating .I think this might have affected

motherboards.

Finally, yesterday night my pone, too died while my family members were talking. The bugger wouldn't boot, and there was the constant green light. Went to the Samsun service center and told them to replace the motherboard for which the cost is Rs.2000. They said the phone will be available on Monday. So it is indeed an epidemic.

Nice to know that at least someone has borne the cost of Rs.2000/- to revive the oldie... Sheer passion! Isn't it?

Along with voice I also need NetConnect. Buying a new handset would have meant shelling a lot more money. Financially, things are going to be a little tight in the next few months. So decided to revive this phone.

Hi

My N191 is working fine for the past 3+ years. Nick ups so far.

However for all those who complained can you let us know if ou are using the original charger.

Even my Samsing N191 working fine since i bought it on 16/02/2003. Planning to buy new one now.

Any suggestions about latest in market with at least FM.

Thanks