Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arun

Now Talk About Free Outgoing Calls !

Rediff.com

August 21, 2006 09:52 IST

Forget low call tariffs, cheap text messages, package offers, and discount plans. You could soon be paying nothing for making calls from your mobile phone, provided you have the patience to listen to 30-45 second ad jingles or commercials before a call goes through.

The service, christened "sponsored calls", is set to be offered soon by an Indian mobile operator, and will be similar to the one launched last year in the US. In the final stages of preparation, the marketing initiative is expected to be offered on local calls made within a network.

However, Arvind Rao, chief executive officer and founder of OnMobile, which developed this value-added service, declined to name the operator that intends to launch the service.

A senior executive with Bharti Airtel said the company had not made up its mind on offering the service "immediately."

In other instances of direct marketing on mobile phones entering a new dimension, mobile operators will soon be offering options that allow a mobile subscriber to choose a company's signature tune as his ring tone.

Callers to that particular number will listen to a jingle that sells the company's product, or promotes its brand. "With a person receiving at least 10 to 15 calls every day, this form of direct marketing is bound to create a lasting impression," he said.

While Rao declined to name the service provider launching this particular scheme, he emphasised that it was not the same operator that was launching sponsored calls.

At present, officials of corporates such as ITC, Fortis, and Ford India, and mobile operators like Airtel, Hutch and Idea have customised music as their ring tones.

Meanwhile, Airtel has tested another marketing initiative involving 45 restaurants in Bangalore. Subscribers in the vicinity receive short message services from Airtel, offering discounts at the restaurants.

Thats interesting news. And hope the Service Provider is our great Reliance. But I would not be interested in the ad jingles for 30 to 45 secs. What about others?

IDEA's offer is different and there are no advertisement. So yes, its not a "first time offer" among Indian mobile operators.

I wont really mind the jingle if I get to save some bucks. Hell, I am willing to endure two more if they allow me to make STD calls as well. Btw, what will be the duration of free call? I think they will limit the duration to say 10 mins after which you will have to disconnect, call back, listen to the jingle and then talk.

I think its been Airtel or Hutch to launch this service in India first.

@ctrl_alt_del: Don't dare to dream of 10 minutes. Even 3-5 minutes will serve the purpose.

@Honest: Nice quotes but too much gyan.

Is it possible in the age of ADC to provide on-Net free calls for GSM operators?

Question really is - is this really a workable business model.

Do companies really think they can actually get value out of such advertising? Would people really be ready to put up with such ****?

I know I wouldnt but maybe students wouldnt mind. But then the ads have to be targeted towards the buying power of students and such!!!

i think hutch did this to its prepaid users but the difference was that there were no free calls!! From time to time I used to be subjected to a recorded message detailing about Hutch's offers before my call was connected. It was annoying to say the least!

I think it wont b completely free.. It ll b free for 3-5 min.. If its completely free thn i dont mind listening to 45 seconds for 1 hr call.. lol..