Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Arun

Reliance Communications ties up with BSNL for Toll-Free Services

Business Standard Reporter

New Delhi November 13, 2006

Reliance Communications has tied up with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) under which its 80 million subscribers will now be able to access 1-800 toll free services provided by either operators, paving the way for network-independent access to 1-800 services in India for the first time.

Reliance has also tied up with HFCL (Punjab) and is in talks with all major operators for network independent access to 1-800 services across the country.

1-800 or all toll free numbers are useful for the customers as they can call companies or service providers without incurring any phone charge.

For instance, you could call a company’s toll free number and find out details of a product you want to buy or make a complaint to your cable operator about the service on a toll free number.

For companies it is much more easier to advertise one toll free i.e. 1-800 number nationally and place such a number in their advertisement or any other mass media communication. This is a major relief for them where today they have to advertise a series of different numbers in different cities.

Currently 1- 800 numbers are accessible from BSNL and MTNL phones only. With the new tie up they can be accessed from Reliance CDMA and landline phones. Reliance will be the first telecom operator, which has tied up with BSNL. At present there is around 600 toll free numbers in the country.

With this tie up 80 million subscribers (55 mn BSNL and 25 mn Reliance) can call the toll-free numbers provided by Reliance and BSNL once the interconnects are implemented. Talks are also on for introducing premium rates and tele-voting services through the toll free numbers. But these might take off after a few months.

Industry estimates that the market for this service is around 300 million STD minutes annually and Reliance hopes to get around 80 million minutes once the agreement is implemented.

Telecom experts say that in the next two to three years the toll free numbers could generate revenue of over Rs 800 crore to operators and become an important source of revenue.

Operators make money on toll free numbers by charging a fee from the companies to host a toll free number on their network. They also share the revenue on each call made by a subscriber on the toll free number.

With the new deal, customers of BSNL who dial a toll free number hosted by Reliance will be paid a certain revenue share by the state owned company and vise versa.

one of the best things reliance has done in recent times :P:P

numbers like 197 rail info etc should also be added :clap:

^^^

Rail info already working with Reliance.

Great News for the tie-up with BSNL for Toll Free services.

Cheers !

not MTNL?

^^^

I think Reliance will have the tie-up with MTNL also very soon.

Regards.

I personally think reliance is changing for better.. particularly frm the news coming out in several weeks..

CHeers!

^^^

Rail info already working with Reliance.

Great News for the tie-up with BSNL for Toll Free services.

Cheers !

rail info where ???

rail info, airlines info, etc working in chennai without any std prefix 044 since last one year. but not in tn circle. and best news is for DAPO, access is full free within the 1st 400 mts, and thereafter at 1.00 pm.

i think it should be working for delhi, mumbai, kolkata. in bangalore it was working with the prefix 080 last year. users of these circles please check and post.

thanks

All services should work across numbers.... 1-800 or premium call numbers or 100/101/102 and of course rail etc like 197 and more.

I think this is a good step forward... but wtf was TRAI & the operators doing all this while! I dont have a landline and my office has TATA/RIl landlines... and this real was a PITA. I'm glad we are going to get 1-800 free soon on RIM.

rail info where ???

@abhay

My dear friend I'm using different Railway helpline numbers from the last 2 years on Reliance.

Regards.

well almost some of the best decisions are being taken by lil ambani's team...bingo!wanna hear some mopre

It was reported in hindustan times tht reliance is in advance stages of talks wit MTNL for similar agreement!!!

Edited by vmsanghrajka

1800 series still not working from any Reliance phone or mobile.

HL says it will take some time maybe a week or two.

Another long wait or wot?

rail info where ???

@abhay

My dear friend I'm using different Railway helpline numbers from the last 2 years on Reliance.

Regards.

no honest it dose'nt work in my case (reliance FWT)

^^^

My dear Abhay but it is working fine on my FWP. Some times in between when I was unable to use these helpline nos. I called CC and lodged the complaint about the same and my problem was solved within 24 hours.

You also must complaint to CC.

Regards.

maybe for FWTs it may not work. Check with HL or email to CC

Hi

i had read recently that reliance communication has forged some partnership with bsnl, coz of which we will b able to call toll free numbers(1800) from our reliance phones.

is it true?

if yes how can v make thses calls?

Hi

i had read recently that reliance communication has forged some partnership with bsnl, coz of which we will b able to call toll free numbers(1800) from our reliance phones.

is it true?

if yes how can v make thses calls?

you can dial directly like bsnl phone. i just tried from my postpaid mobile get connected.

Doesn't work yet from my postpaid mobile nor from FLP :)

dont work for my Post Paid, Prepaid and Reliance Land line too.

???

Its not working, nither on my postpaid mobile nor pospaid FWP. When I called CC for that, they told we didnot have any such facility to call BSNL Toll Free numbers :) .

^^^

My dear Abhay but it is working fine on my FWP. Some times in between when I was unable to use these helpline nos. I called CC and lodged the complaint about the same and my problem was solved within 24 hours.

You also must complaint to CC.

Regards.

Edited by abc2005

i also talked with CC they are juat unaware of such facility , poor people :confuse: