Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Anil_S

Skype On Netconnect

I use skype regularly. But when I use skype through R Connect, the voice normally cracks, some times some portion of the voice gets lost. But at some locations there is no problem, it works fine. What can be the reason.

I have been checking speed , normally it is around 100 kps ( checked through mtnl broad band site)

I have also used "at+crm=1; +cso=33" but no improvement. I have Nokia 2112 & DKU 50 cable & it is installed as Nokia "CDMA 1xRTT 3G Packet Data Modem". I have no issues with the speed, as it is always good & normally at 100 kbs. At my house i get around 180 kbps.

Please help

^^^

My dear friend, it seems to be the problem from the server. As sometimes the same problem exists in Yahoo Messenger also.

Regards.

Yeah RConnect isnt the best tool for voice calls because you don't always get a consistent connection/throughput. You should only try voice calls with a broadband connection that has a stable throughput.

I know that there are some inherent latencies issues while using internet through CDMA networks. These inherent latencies issues during data transmission make the voice cracking. The reason for putting the problem on forums was to discuss the same & if there is any way to reduce the same. I already have MTNL broad band at home & office & Skype works fine there. I use netconnect only when I am outstation & normal broadband is not available.

At some locations I found the the voice doesn't crack at all ( Jaipur near airport & some remote places in Rajasthan) but at some locations the voice quality is so bad that you can hear nothing. There appears to be some thing called "EV-DO" with CDMA networks which can reduce these latencies.

Are there any strings like "at+crm=1; +cso=33" which can reduce the voice cracking?

Any information ?

First thing to look is the Coverage. Are you have Better Range in Handset if yes the Problem can be solved.

Second thing is if the Coverage is Better But Is the Reliance Tower is Connected with Reliance Back Bon Fiber or Any Old Method like RF Link Between the Towers.

Older RF Link to Connect Tower to Nearest Fiber also Make the Internet speed slower

Is there any way to reduce the speed & compression ?

I feel higher the speed, cracking problem is more. If the speed is arount 70-80 kbs the voice quality & video quality is poor , but voice doesn't crack. Higher the speed, the video & voice may be better bit it cracks.

No Way

Lower the Speed means stable Speed

Higher means Burstable Packet which some suddenly and als stop suddenly

I have been using Google talk / skype / yahoo on a 64 kbps VSNL connection for the last 9 months and till now has absolutely no troubles. Infact it has been excellent and even better than ISD calls!!!!

It will work fine if the throughput remains constant and on a broadband connection it will remain constant

Edited by deepu

yeah exactly deepu. It isnt peak speed thats an issue here. its (in)consistency that phucks up a voice call. In a voice call, every packet counts... drop a few and there goes the call.

EV-DO is a next gen technology that won't be launched in India till mid 2008 at least.

Edited by anujit

How do I reduce speed, so that data transfer is consistent. Any strings or settings for modem to connect it with a lower speed & less compression ?

Edited by aksha_sail

Exactly anujit.

Quality / Stability Matters normal Air Interface Based Interenet Service Lacks this.

EVDO / WCDMA-HSDPA will solve the Problem.

yeah exactly deepu. It isnt peak speed thats an issue here. its (in)consistency that phucks up a voice call. In a voice call, every packet counts... drop a few and there goes the call.

EV-DO is a next gen technology that won't be launched in India till mid 2008 at least.

I think Reliance will go to Directly WCDMA instead of EVDO

as per thr rule If any CDMA have to take Bandwidth in WCDMA then he can not get Frequncy for EVDO

Another thing can be Get 3.75 in 2100 and get Only 1.25 for EVDO in Base Spctrum

(Any Suggestion from any body)

Please let me know how do I reduce speed & compression so that I can get a consistent connection. Latency in communication I will be able to handle.

I only want solution to voice skipping ( some words get skipped) / cracking. Latency in communication I shall be able to handle by using pause between talk

Speed is achieved by so many Things like Coverage, Towers Backbone, International Namdwidth, INternal Opertors Bandwidth, How Much Program in Comuter Accessing Net on COmputer etc.

The COmpression is achied by Anaylsing our Own Data.

and We dont have COntrol on Both

hpnasik: despite similar names WCDMA is actually an upgrade of GSM. Reliance will have to go for some version of EVDO which is a CDMA technology.

aksha: lowering your speed wont help in this case... because the problem is that the connection will completely drop at times. Its best to keep an active ping and if you can set the interval to every 5 seconds or so.

Edited by anujit

Anujit going to WCDMA will better fits into Reliance Stategy'

I definatel know WCDMA is a Code Division Tech of GSM Forums, but reliance already testing in in four matros

If reliance goes directly to it we wanna have a flood of Handsets.

WCDMA isnt backward compatible with CDMA at all. So I really doubt if they're testing it.

aksha: get pingapp from www.deepu.info/pingapp.zip

Run it in background. This will ping the reliance servers at an interval. This may help.. But I really doubt

aksha: get pingapp from www.deepu.info/pingapp.zip

Run it in background. This will ping the reliance servers at an interval. This may help.. But I really doubt

PINGAPP HAS HELPED. I have also disabled the software compression in the modem properties. The cracking problem has reduced. I need to check it when I go outstation next time

If there are any other suggestions, please post..

Thanks......

Edited by aksha_sail

Sorry, it did not work . I went out & tried , problem is same