Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anuragz

Mobile Tv

Hi, Recently i went to Doordarshan office & there i came to know that dd is working on some type of mobile tv technology. I thought it must be IPTV but to my surprize, it was something else.

I was lucky enough to go there & have a glimpse of it. I saw that on a Nokia N92 some dd channel was running. As i changed the channel some other channel was visible, very clear video & audio reception. I was told that this service is under test run these days & will be officially available to consumers next month. Although anyone having Mobile Tv enabled handset can watch it now also within a rdius of 12km.

When i asked which service provider is going to run this service on its network?

i was told that service provider got nothing to do with this service.

This service does not comes through any kind of data transfer or GPRS. This service is just like your handset picks up FM radio signals from the air. Similarly your mobile handset will pick tv signals from air.

There's no need of any data transfer or buffering. This service is free of cost. Presently only 16 of DD channels will be aired. The region will be Delhi.

A lot of people were misunderstanding this service as iptv but it is different . it's called DVB-H TV broadcast( also called Terestrial Tv).

INDIA IS FIFTH NATION IN THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THIS SERVICE.

Presently only two handsets in India support this service.

1. Nokia N92 (cost around 30k) http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n92-1346.php

2. Nokia N77 (about to launch, cost around 17k) http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n77-1859.php

Edited by anuragz

I tink this same thing was posted by HONEST...

a few days bak...

and yep its true..that this service wil only b available in Delhi..

Our own RCL has already started offering SUN TV and all its channels here in Chennai/TN. I dont know if this similar to the one offered above by MTNL.

RCL charges Rs 15 for every 5 minutes for this facility and on my 6265, the video and the audio were almost flawless. Sometimes, there was a time gap but overall it is very good. The only thing is the high charges. If you mis out on a serial and want to watch it on your mobile, you would end up paying Rs 90 for the half hour serial. This is exorbitant. I haven't seen any other channel, so I cannot comment on how visible/readable the ticker screens on the news channels are.

Thanks

Edited by khs123

Our own RCL has already started offering SUN TV and all its channels here in Chennai/TN. I dont know if this similar to the one offered above by MTNL

Mobile tv was there since long back. I hope u remember those Hutch ads which quoted "we have shrunk your tv".

Any type of tv available on mobile is just like watching tv on the internet.

1. it requires an internet connection. (gprs or any medium for data transfer)

2. it requires buffering.

3. there's a bill to be paid for this service.

But mobile tv from DD is different. it's just like attaching an antenna to your tv set & watching programmes for free.

Its exactely like you hear fm on your mobile. You can hear fm irrespective to which service provider you have. Even if the sim is not active u can do that.

Similarly mobile tv is a free service. It does not require any internet connection to watch tv on your mobile. Which is quite revolutionising.

All other service providers are working on mobile tv just to increase data transfer & thus increase their revenue. The cost of watching tv on moblie will ultimately bourn by the consumer.

I can watch India TV, AAJ TAK on my b&w RIM thru R-World. Isn't that mobile TV as well?