Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxguy

Reliance Gsm Roll Out?

Reliance is going to offer EDGE services check this link - http://www.rimweb.in/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry100829

Reliance gonna be the market leader in Indian telecom by 2010

Edited by coolrajiv

Just hoping that Reliance GSM rolls out cheaper tariffs for Mumbai circle too in contrast to the other GSM operators' usual tyranny of levying comparatively higher tariffs. Once this is done, I am sure the other operators are gonna get kicked in the butt .... [ :P ]

^^^

My dear friends, Reliance will provide the latest technology to us and we will get world class EDGE services from Reliance. It will outdate Airtel or Vodafone's Gprs. Eagerly waiting for this to happen.

Regards.

I guess the tariffs have come down in Mumbai. Quite significantly too. But they're still looting us. Hopefully reliance will bring in better competition. Lets hope they don't cannibalize their CDMA business...

^^^

I dont think the above is possible at all. You will have to buy a separate SIM and a separate RUIM. Then again, all the other operators will object, so it cannot be introduced at all. This is my opinion.

I thinkm RUIM is compatible with both GSM & CDMA Handsets

Reliance RUIM are not GSM compatible. Because of its implementation. Tata RUIM are GSM compatible.

very right. reliance ruin is not gsm compatible... need to check for tata..

^^^

What exactly is meant by GSM compatible?

Does it mean that if you put a RUIM in a GSM phone, the GSM phone should be ale to read the data on the RUIM? If so, my RUIM when put in my GSM LG C3400 phone, reads my SMSs and also my contacts.

Does compatibility mean the handset or RUIM?

^^^

What exactly is meant by GSM compatible?

Does it mean that if you put a RUIM in a GSM phone, the GSM phone should be ale to read the data on the RUIM? If so, my RUIM when put in my GSM LG C3400 phone, reads my SMSs and also my contacts.

Does compatibility mean the handset or RUIM?

If compatible then yes. If not, then your RUIM will be rejected saying invalid SIM - sort of - message

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

RCom GSM order: 80-100 mn lines

Surajeet Das Gupta / New Delhi January 14, 2008

:cheer::cheer:

To account for 10% plus of 3-yr global output.

Reliance Communications (RCom), the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group-promoted telecom company, has floated an order for 80 million to 100 million lines for GSM mobile services.

The company recently received spectrum from the government to launch GSM services in 14 service areas under a controversial new cross-over technology policy.

This will be the country’s largest order for telecom equipment and one of the world’s biggest. The installed production capacity of GSM electronics worldwide is 250 to 300 million lines annually, suggesting that the order could account for more than 10 per cent of global production over the next three years.

The order, which will be spread over three years, is expected to be finalised in the next few weeks.

The company has begun discussions with leading equipment manufacturers such as Huawei, Alcatel Lucent, ZTE, Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia, amongst others.

A meeting of potential suppliers has been called at the end of this week to choose the vendors.

An RCom spokesperson declined to comment on the issue.

The largest order placed in India was for 45.5 million GSM lines by the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL). However, the contract ran into a controversy, as a result of which it was halved to 22.75 million lines at a cost of $2.2 billion.

Insiders said RCom is negotiating to cut the cost of equipment significantly by offering vendors a large upfront order to vendors.

Executives involved in negotiations with the company said it has been looking for a 50 per cent reduction in price to its nearest competitor.

In the last big order for GSM equipment, BSNL paid $100 per line for only second-generation (2G) services to Ericsson. The RCom order will have a combination of both 2G (of current level of services) and 3G equipment.

Equipment manufacturers said considering the fact that Ericsson refused to accept the full order after other equipment manufacturers walked out of the BSNL deal, few manufacturers are ready to cut price in the interests of volume.

“The Chinese might offer you lines at $50 (Rs 1,950) per line but they have no back-up support or experience in India. European companies have the experience and installations in India and for that you need to pay a premium,” said a executive who is negotiating with RCom.

RCom, which is the country’s largest service provider of CMDA mobile services, already has GSM operations in six service areas.

The company has over 40 million customers, of which 35.5 million are on CDMA while the rest are on GSM services. By adding GSM operations in 14 service areas, it will become a pan-Indian player, competing with incumbents such as Bharti Airtel and Vodafone-Essar.

Equipment makers said RCom’s pan-Indian GSM plan means that the company will also need to buy more transmission towers. It currently owns about 14,000 towers but will need 50,000 across the country.

So far, the company has commissioned 40,000 towers through its subsidiary Reliance Telecom Infrastructure.

Still no question of competing with Vodafone or AirTel.

Reliance's 'Smart' GSM is a no-frill service, without any GPRS/EDGE, no call conferencing, no post-paid connection, no MMS, no value added services like using the phone as credit card, news alerts, stock ticker etc. Without all these, Reliance GSM is still a competitor of no-frill service providers like Aircel. One cannot use PocketPC or smartphone for mobile browsing internet or cannot MMS a pic taken by 2MP camera of the phone. So, let us wait and watch whether the service becomes at par with RIM or lags behind. Increasing the subscriber base only will not suffice to be a market leader.

Regards.

No sir its nothing like dat...i m from jamshedpur n smart(reliance gsm) is there since 199x n it has introduced Edge/Gprs in 2007 only n rest like call conferencing n value added services have always been there....they started out wit only post paid at first n den even started pre paid after 2 to 3 yrs of operation.U can check all d details bout it in www.reliancemobile.com.