Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
coolrajiv

Ultra Low Cost Eee Pc

Asustek Computer on June 5 unveiled its ultra low-cost notebook, the Eee, at Computex Taipei 2007, with volume shipments to being in August, according to company chairman Jonney Shih.

The Eee name comes from ‘Easy to learn, easy to work and easy to play,' Shih said in a conference chaired by Intel's executive vice president Sean Maloney.

The lowest-priced Eee PC will carry a suggested retail price of US$199 and will come with a 7-inch display, Intel Celeron M CPU, 2GB flash memory and support the Linux and Microsoft Windows operating systems (OS).

Shih also estimated that shipments of Eee PCs are likely to total 500,000 in 2007, but declined to say how many Eee PCs would be shipped in the coming years. However, Shih stated that shipments of Eee PCs will help Intel achieve its goal of seeing a total global shipment of one billion Intel-based PCs.

The new PC has already drawn comparisons with the OLPC (One Laptop per Child) project, which is attempting to ship US$100 to developing countries. However, that project has not met its price targets, with the system BOM reaching US$140. In addition, the OLPC project lacks a strong after-sales support network and initial shipments have reportedly been delayed.

Recent reports stated that Quanta Computer's shipments of XO notebooks under the OLPC project may be delayed, again, to the fourth quarter instead of the third quarter due to a delay in designs of varied application scenarios for different emerging markets.

Sources at Taiwan-based component makers indicated that Quanta has not yet released its orders for parts and components needed for the OLPC notebooks, indicating that Quanta will not be able to start shipping the low-cost notebooks in July as scheduled.

If Asustek is able to maintain its schedule, the Eee may beat the XO to market.

In related news, Shih said that Asustek may push its schedule to divide its brand and ODM/OEM businesses to before the end of this year instead of in 2008 as originally planned.

After separation, the current Asustek will focus on the operation of brand products in a way much the same as Acer does today, whereas the manufacture of notebooks, motherboards, networking devices and other products will be handled by a newly established EMS unit that will compete with Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report.

Asustek Eee PC 701 specifications

Display 7-inch

CPU and chipset Intel mobile CPU & chipset

OS Linux/ Microsoft Windows XP compatible

Communication 10/100 Mbps Ethernet; 56K modem WLAN WiFi 802.11b/g

Graphics Intel UMA

Memory 512MB DDR2-400

Storage 4/ 8/ 16GB Flash

Webcam 300K pixel video camera

Audio Hi-Definition Audio CODEC; Built-in stereo speaker; Built-in microphone

Battery life 3hrs (4 cells: 5200mAh2S2P)

Dimension and weight 22.5×16.5×2.1~3.5cm

Weight 0.89kg

Asustek chairman Jonney Shih (right) unveils the Eee PC as Intel executive vice president Sean Maloney looks on...

Looks very nice i guess for people who want a low cost PC this is the one for them

Even though its called Eee PC to me it looks like a laptop ....

should be a success in India .

post-14950-1181187880_thumb.jpg

post-14950-1181188015_thumb.jpg

Really cool, I think it will be chaper than sony UMPC (Ultra mobile PC)? no difference except hard drive. Sony UMPC cost 1 lakh. I think future belongs to these type of PC's rahter than smart phones or PDA phones.

Really cool, I think it will be chaper than sony UMPC (Ultra mobile PC)? no difference except hard drive. Sony UMPC cost 1 lakh. I think future belongs to these type of PC's rahter than smart phones or PDA phones.

Sure its gonna rock :)

Wow i am waiting to get my hands on this awesome ...wonderful... yet cheap notebook..

Edited by coolrajiv

i agree, and considering the core 2 duo prices falling southwards..its going to e a bonanza time soon.

That means it will available for Rs. 10000 in india.

Well currently 1 US$= 40.5 rupees so one can get this amazing notebook at only 8100 rupees+ Tax so roughly around 9000 rupees

at this price this product can easily replace the DESKTOP PC...

This time during Diwali its gonna be a treat for all the users ... people will get this amazing notebook and also around this period

people in Tier 1 cities will get wimax access wow now THATS COOL :)

but wen it'll come ...

AU Optronics (AUO) is expected benefit from Asustek's launch of new ultra-cost notebooks with future orders from the latter, according to sources.

Asustek on June 5 unveiled its new ultra low-cost notebook, the Eee, at Computex Taipei 2007, with volume shipments to begin in August, according to company chairman Jonney Shih. The notebook is using 7-inch LED-based LCD panels, said the sources.

Shih estimated that shipments of Eee PCs are likely to total 500,000 units in 2007.

The average selling prices (ASPs) for 7-inch panel with LED backlighting sources are about US$40-50 currently, compared to US$25-30 from CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp)-based panels, the sources added.

Although AUO will provide Asustek with 7-inch LED panels with quotes at less than US$40, the sources indicated that AUO will still be able to enjoy profits from the orders

The sources indicated Asustek is expected to seek other panel suppliers in the feature.

One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) now source LCD panels from Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), who is supplying a special dual-mode panel for Quanta Computer-made OLPC notebook's (XO), the sources said.

AS MENTIONED IN THIS ARTICLE U CAN GET THIS AMAZING NOTEBOOK FROM AUGUST ONWARDS ...

post-14950-1181229245_thumb.jpg

^^^

Its really great news my dear friends. I am eagerly waiting for the launch of this product in India.

Regards.

Well currently 1 US$= 40.5 rupees so one can get this amazing notebook at only 8100 rupees+ Tax so roughly around 9000 rupees

at this price this product can easily replace the DESKTOP PC...

This time during Diwali its gonna be a treat for all the users ... people will get this amazing notebook and also around this period

people in Tier 1 cities will get wimax access wow now THATS COOL :GirandoOjos:

I hope this product has is upgradable to newer solid state disks. Please see http://digitallinks.blogspot.com/search/la...20State%20Disks for info.

Then its a cool product.

-prakash

Asustek Computer's $199 Eee PC is turning out to be one of the stars at Computex 2007, grabbing attention for its small size and even smaller price.

Jointly developed by Intel and Asustek, the Eee PC will hit the market during the third quarter, most likely in August or September. The notebook will be aimed at education users, but it should also be available more widely.

Prices are going to start at $199, rising based on the amount of flash memory that comes with the machine instead of a hard disk. Currently, Asustek plans to sell models with 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB of flash, but that may change between now and when the first Eee PCs go on sale.

Measuring 9 inches wide by 6.6 inches deep, the Eee PC 701 is about 1.5 inches thick with the screen closed and weighs just 31 ounces. Other specifications include a 7-inch monitor, a 300,000-pixel camera, 512MB of DDR2 memory, and Wi-Fi. Next year, Asustek plans to introduce a second Eee PC model, the 1001, which will have a 10-inch screen.

CPU Mystery

Asustek isn't disclosing what processor is used inside the device, except to say it's an Intel mobile chip. One possibility is that the Eee PC is based on Intel's McCaslin ultramobile PC platform, which includes either the A100 or A110 processors, formerly codenamed Steeley. Or it could be something else.

Whatever chip it's using, the Eee PC doesn't run hot. The prototype tested had been running continuously for at least six hours , and the machine was barely warm to the touch. Asustek said the notebook can run for three hours on battery, which is sufficient for surfing the Web or checking e-mail, but I would like more. Unfortunately, Asustek doesn't have plans to offer an extended-life battery for the Eee PC. Hopefully it will offer extra batteries as an option.

The keyboard and trackpad are slightly small due to the Eee PC's size, The keyboard feels fine for typing out e-mails or surfing the Web, but one prefers a full-size keyboard for typing for an extended period of time.

Linux-Powered Unit

Like Palm's upcoming Foleo notebook, the Eee PC runs Linux instead of the Windows operating system. In the case of the Eee PC, Asustek chose to use Xandros for the operating system, the Open Office applications suite, and a Firefox browser. This helps to keep costs down and means the Eee PC boots in about 15 seconds.

Overall, the Eee PC prototype showed a lot of promise. In terms of its size and capabilities, there appeared to be no obvious tradeoffs for a device that could function well as a second notebook PC for busy executives.

Edited by coolrajiv

All attractions is just for its cheaply priced.

I want atleast one usb in it.

All attractions is just for its cheaply priced.

I want atleast one usb in it.

Asustek announced Asus Eee PC, an ultra small and light laptop designed specially for Internet related activities.Asus Eee (Easy to learn, work, play - Excellent Internet experience - Excellent mobile computing experience) 701 model weighs approximately 1.96 pounds and features 7-inch screen. It is based on some of the Intel’s processors and chipsets with integrated graphics. The Eee 701 PC has 512MB of DDR2-400 memory, while for the data storage there are 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB Flash drive option.

Asus’ Eee PC 701: sub-sub-notebook

Regarding communications, it has Ethernet LAN, an 802.11b/g wireless, and a 56K modem, while for audio/video chat there are integrated web camera and microphone. Eee PC has at least two USB ports, VGA out, and some kind of card reader.

According to press release, the Linux and Windows XP compatible Asus Eee 701 PC offers two modes of user interface design: the easy mode and the full desktop mode in order to accommodate both experienced and inexperienced PC users, assuming these modes are provided by Linux operating system.

As clearly mentioned in this article it has 2 USB ports....

well its cheap so what ? Just think what potential this product has ..... it can be used to surf internet, watch movies on the go,

edit your documents on the go, wireless internet access on the move,

and for those who want a large screen Asus is planning a Eee PC with 10 inch screen next year...

& remember we r living in India where people want a product which has utility as well as it should be cheap as well so this amazing notebook fits us absolutely ....

Yeh baat kuch hajam nahi hoti when people say oohhhhhh sasta product hain isliye accha hain isliye publicity mil rahi hain

Remember This product is made by Asus who is a Taiwan based manufacturer so rest assured their quality will be good..

Asus’ Eee PC 701:

Dear all... hey... now the shipments of Asus’ Eee PC 701 for across the world is started... with home delivery, it may cost around Euro 240 to 250...

Bu two options are there...

ONE: Place the Order and enjoy the designate of being the pioneer :( , and stand apart when the others are carrying 2 - 3 kg laptops...! :)

TWO: Wait and Watch... and grab the upgraded version with some higher cost... thats the basic funda in electronics...! :confuse:

Any comments...?!!!!

>>>

had to happen !!!!

just look around... the cost of ownership of a computer has to come down... i bought my first desktop in 1993, compaq, and it costed me the world then... to now when where ever u see... u see tfts and laptops...

having said that, this option ends up being useful for those hating to lug seemingly bulky 14" laptops now... mostly frequent travellers... i wonder how it integrates with schoolbags and office desks...

I had inquired on www.asus.com & i got a response from them that this product will be available in USA from December 2007

Regarding when it will be available in India one needs to contact the local Asus distribution channel

Here's the link for it

http://in.asus.com/aboutasus.aspx?show=3

U can pre order now on the below mentioned website ( they r only shipping in USA currently)

http://www.allasus.com/CATALOG/advanced_se...48644ccca8cd947

The basic price is supposed to be 199$ but will likely be higher this was told to me by the following person mentioned below

Jerry Stigliano

Internet Sales Associate

STAR TECH/ALLASUS

1490 N. Hermitage RD ~ Hermitage, PA 16148

Phone 866-939-2787 x106 ~ Fax 724-962-1186

www.stipc.com

Edited by coolrajiv

todays newspaper in mumbai had the offer of dual core at 29000/- can you believe it!!!!

i got one celeron at 33000/- eight months back..

Asustek to start volume shipments of Eee PCs in September

Yen-ting Chen, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Monday 20 August 2007]

Asustek Computer will begin shipping its ultra low-cost notebook, the Eee PC, simultaneously to clients in the US, Europe, China as well as Taiwan, in mid-September, with the first-round shipments targeting 20,000 units, according to sources at the company.

In addition to securing orders from the mentioned countries, Asustek has also landed orders for its Eee PCs from a number of education organizations, insurance companies and emerging markets, the sources noted.

However, the company is concerned that the persistent tight supply of a number of key components might affect production in the second half of the year, contended the sources.

The Eee PCs will be available at US$199, US$239, US$349 and US$369 depending on specifications, with the model priced at US$349 targeting the mainstream, said the sources, noting that the first-round shipments will be mostly of the mainstream model.

Since the specifications of Eee PCs are similar to a mini notebook, international market research firms are reportedly considering classifying shipments of Eee PCs as notebooks, which could boost Asustek's market share as well as its ranking in the global notebook market, according to market sources.

Shipments of Eee PCs are expected to top 500,000 in 2007 and increase to 3-5 million in 2008, company chairman Jonney Shih predicted earlier.

Asustek was ranked the world's ninth largest notebook vendor in 2006 with own-brand shipments totaling 2.74 million units, according to data available at market research firms.

Any update on this PC?? when its gonna availablein India ???

Any update on this PC?? when its gonna availablein India ???

Source - http://www.tech2.com/india/news/ultraporta...-prices/19881/0

Asus has unveiled the pricing and configuration of its highly awaited Eee PC. Overall there are four configurations to choose from and, depending on the RAM size, storage capacity and battery duration, the PC will vary in cost from $299 to $399.

The top-end model is the Asus Eee PC 8G which features 8 GB of SSD-based storage and offers 1 GB of RAM. The next model is the 4G model which comes with 4GB of SSD storage and 512 MB of RAM. Both these models are equipped with a 5200 mAh battery, which is good for 3.5 hours of portability.

The next two models are the Eee PC 4Gsurf which also comes with 4GB of SSD storage and 512MB of RAM while the Eee PC 2G Surf features 2GB of SSD storage and a measly 256MB of RAM. Both the Surf models are equipped with a 4400 mAh battery that will provide around 2.5 hours of battery life.

This new ultraportable will weigh in at 2.03 pounds and will be compatible with both Linux and Windows XP operating systems. It will ship later this year.

Saw the Ad abt the product in times of India... products is priced at 18k... dont know abt the confi though.

Cheers.

post-8210-1201637771_thumb.jpg

The wait is over my dear friends. Asus Eee PC Launched in Mumbai today and will be available in CROMA Stores, Mumbai from 2nd February 2008 onwards.

Asus Eee PC Now in India

After a long wait, the Asus Eee PC has finally made it to the Indian market with a price tag of Rs 18,000.

Targeted at user segments like school children, housewives, senior citizens, and teenagers who enjoy simple computing with lightweight gadgets, the 7-inch Eee PC -- weighing even less than 1 kg -- was launched at an event in Mumbai today.

According to Francis Kao, product manager (Notebooks) for Asus India, "The worldwide acceptance of this product is symbolic of its simplicity, robust build quality, and user-friendliness. Although it is primarily aimed at school children and teenagers, even other user groups have shown a lot of interest in the product."

The Eee PC promises the most comprehensive Internet application based on three Es: Easy to learn, work, and play; Excellent Internet experience, and Excellent mobile computing experience.

On the occasion of the launch, Albert Tung, managing director of Asus India, said, "The Asus Eee PC aims at enriching human life like all our other technology offerings. With growing computing demands as well as growing number of users, both young and old, the Eee PC provides users with a new mobile Internet experience like never before."

Based on the Intel CPU and chipset, the Eee PC offers two modes of intuitive user interface for both experienced and inexperienced PC users, and packs over 40 built-in applications. The other specifications include built-in flash-memory, 512MB DDR2 memory, 300K pixels video camera, and WLAN.

However, what is missing from the machine is an optical drive, the reason given being light weight and ultra-compact form factor. Leaving out on the optical drive seems to be the mantra for making slim and light weight notebooks. The very recently launched 'Mac Air' has also missed out on the same, and apparently for the same reasons.

Initially, the Eee PC 4 GB model running on the Linux operating system has been launched only in Mumbai, and will be made available in other cities in March. In addition, Asus is also working on a Windows version of the Eee PC.

The Eee PC will be available starting February 2 evening at Croma stores in Juhu and Malad, as well as at e-zone. It will come in two colors -- Galaxy Black and Pearl White.

Interestingly, HCL just recently launched its MiLeap X series ultra-portable laptops featuring nearly the same technical specifications as the Asus Eee PC. There are very few differences, one of them being storage capacity; the Asus Eee PC has a 4GB internal flash memory while the HCL leaptop has a 2 GB internal flash memory and no Web cam. Minus these two features, the HCL laptop is available for Rs 14,000.

So my dear friends, for those who are waiting for its launch can now go and get it at the CROMA Stores in Mumbai from 2nd February 2008 onwards.

Regards.

Edited by Honest