Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KumaarShah

Nokia Now Sues Qualcomm

Link: http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,...,18387,p,0.html

Tuesday, 12. June 2007

Nokia Now Sues Qualcomm

Finland based Nokia Oyj, the world's top mobile phone maker has filed a patent counter-suit against American company Qualcomm Inc in a Texas court seeking damages and an injunction against the company that invented the CDMA technology.

Nokia has accused Qualcomm of infringing six implementation patents in its MediaFLO mobile TV technology and its Brew mobile data technology. Nokia makes more than one in every three mobile phones made in the world. Hit by Qualcomm’s arrogance, Nokia and its partner Sanyo decided to stop making CDMA handsets.

Qualcomm has filed 11 patent suits against Nokia in less than two years, seeking damages and injunctions, so far without success. Last month Nokia filed its first counter-suit against Qualcomm, in Wisconsin, and related to chipset technologies.

Both the companies have been suing and counter suing each other since part of a cross-licensing deal over technology patents expired on April 9. Their rivalry has worried analysts and investors on both sides of the Atlantic.

Nokia’s chief technology officer Tero Ojanpera said, "We see Qualcomm has copied our technology without compensating us, so we need to enforce our technologies and patents we have."

He also said Nokia had a long history of innovation in the fields of IP broadcast television and mobile downloads and the US firm needs its patents for the broadcast quality of MediaFLO or to download programmes in Brew.

Last week, Qualcomm was hit by an US International Trade Commission ruling that banned imports of new advanced phones using chips the ITC said infringed on Broadcom patents. Broadcom and Qualcomm are fighting eachother over patent cases.

Its getting nastier day by day.

I think street dogs will behave better than these companies.

Nokia is so arrogant that it wants to control whatever whichever realted to telecommunication. It has monopolistic mindset.

Qualcomm is greedy that it wants to have control on complete 3G portfolio with its patents and sometimes it wrongly claims certain innovations as its patents although those were never its own invention.

I've always dreamed of a situation when Nokia & Qualcomm will work together.

Just imagine how fast we'll be moving in telecommunication in that hypothetical situation.

Now I beleive that'll never happen in my life-time.