Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
jmthakur

Can A Palm Treo Cdma Model Be Used In Reliance?

I had raised this question in a different context but could not get a clear answer and hence raising again. Can a Palm Treo CDMA model be used in Reliance? I have been so used to the Palm OS and organiser that I actually use the old Palm Handheld Zire 71. The Palm Treo models such as Treo 650 and later versions can be used in the GSM services only in India but in USA there are several Treo models for CDMA services. Can these be used in India for Reliance CDMA is my question. Friends, any tips/solutions/suggestions? Any comment or guidance also welcome! Thanks!Lets see if I progress further in this interesting issue. I had considered the UT 6700 smart phone but my comfort with the Palm OS makes the Palm models more attractive to me.

I note that there has been discussion on this site about many other non-Reliance CDMA phones activation about Reliance. But I cannot find a conclusive answer - Yes or No!

sadik /hetal/ dheeraj/ kshah can answer your query

sadik /hetal/ dheeraj/ kshah can answer your query

Yes, Tanveer, I see, though I am a new member here, that these are the stalwarts. I had originally planned to shift to UT6700 but was reluctant to do so, being a Palm OS user since many years now, wholly satisfied. I eagerly look forward to their comments whenever they have time to do so and if they have noticed. If not, I will PM them!

Palm have Windows based CDMA Treo 700w, and palm OS based 650p, 700p

Windows based can be converted easily go to Mobile-Files.com for Update

Palm have Windows based CDMA Treo 700w, and palm OS based 650p, 700p

Windows based can be converted easily go to Mobile-Files.com for Update

Yes. that is true. But can one use these CDMA Palm models in Reliance? I have used a Treo 650 in GSM without any problems including GPRS. But what about using the CDMA models in Reliance? Any idea or suggestion? Thanks for the reply!

Jayant

my initial thoughts when getting xv6700 were identical to urs... i have been using a treo 650 on gsm and have to say i am over pleased with it... but come to windows based palms and they are not quite there yet... endgadget.com describes the treo 700w and wx as being a b*****dy cross... windows wont accept it and palm almost disowns it... haha... but there is one thing u must reflect on... windows based palm aint that great in its conformity and utilisation as is the original palm. cdma palm 680 or 700 would be difficult to migrate on reliance but 700w and wx, if delved into, might just turn our way as hetal suggests...

reading b/w the lines, i would suggest u get either a ppc 6700 or wait for the ppc 6800 (to be available soon)... that is with the resolve that u wanna migrate to a windows interface... if u want to stick to palm my friend then gsm is the safer bet...

just my two cents...

Jayant

my initial thoughts when getting xv6700 were identical to urs... i have been using a treo 650 on gsm and have to say i am over pleased with it... but come to windows based palms and they are not quite there yet... endgadget.com describes the treo 700w and wx as being a b*****dy cross... windows wont accept it and palm almost disowns it... haha... but there is one thing u must reflect on... windows based palm aint that great in its conformity and utilisation as is the original palm. cdma palm 680 or 700 would be difficult to migrate on reliance but 700w and wx, if delved into, might just turn our way as hetal suggests...

reading b/w the lines, i would suggest u get either a ppc 6700 or wait for the ppc 6800 (to be available soon)... that is with the resolve that u wanna migrate to a windows interface... if u want to stick to palm my friend then gsm is the safer bet...

just my two cents...

I think your "two cents" worth is very insightful and thoughtout indeed and while it reduces my false hopes of having the treo cdma model for Reliance. it will now at least not result in my not wasting time in this direction. Thanks for your experienced and valuable advice.

My reason to use a PDA is that i depend on the calendar/tasks/memos structure (I am a fanatic fan of GTD system of David Allen) of Palm and windows mobile based devices. Palm based devices have been generally very fast, with low demands on hardware and battery and generally the applications and the OS is sturdy. My earlier experience with windows based mobiles was disappointing (though it was always second hand and a little more than one year now). My reading of posts in this forum made me feel that while the UT 6700 was quite good generally there seemed to be battery problems. Right now I am using a 6265 with a palm organiser and I wanted to replace it with a common device.

Anyway, thanks again. Let me brood a little more and then take a decision.

GTD also reminds me of a very good and close frnd of mine...

battery problems with the 6700 are well "problems" owing to your nature of use... i can get a whole days juice out of mine... almost 2 hours of talktime over bluetooth with some music and browsing thrown in... now i am almost always away from my desk at home or office when at site so my phone is pressurised to go thru more than a 24 hr cycle without a second taste of a power dripping socket ;):P so on those days i tone down the brightness to the minimum but one... the backlight goes off in 10 secs and i make it a point to suspend the pda when on a longish telephonic conversation... so that works for me...

if u have stints longer than 24 hrs or have more talktime then i would suggest u to invest in a spare 1500mah li poly battery which then adds 120% backup when used in conjunction with the 1350mah li-ion battery of this phone.

squarely put, just as ur 6265 lasts with battery, would this phone depending on ur ability to tweak its resources...

I have read that Treo 650 can be MADE TO USE on reliance network. Battery life of 6700 is pretty decent in all the manner. Ofcourse standby time is not I really appreciate. But I consider reliance responsible for that rather than PDA. Reliance network is deteriorating day by day. Rather becoming over crowded and CDMA has tendancy to make handset consume more power in case of network congestion.

GTD also reminds me of a very good and close frnd of mine...

battery problems with the 6700 are well "problems" owing to your nature of use... i can get a whole days juice out of mine... almost 2 hours of talktime over bluetooth with some music and browsing thrown in... now i am almost always away from my desk at home or office when at site so my phone is pressurised to go thru more than a 24 hr cycle without a second taste of a power dripping socket ;):P so on those days i tone down the brightness to the minimum but one... the backlight goes off in 10 secs and i make it a point to suspend the pda when on a longish telephonic conversation... so that works for me...

if u have stints longer than 24 hrs or have more talktime then i would suggest u to invest in a spare 1500mah li poly battery which then adds 120% backup when used in conjunction with the 1350mah li-ion battery of this phone.

squarely put, just as ur 6265 lasts with battery, would this phone depending on ur ability to tweak its resources...

Thanks again, Dheeraj, for your insights and for the trouble you are taking on this. And I noted that you have the best of both worlds (I presume that the two phones shown in your signature are those you use) - Windows Mobile Phone and Treo 650 - a dream combination. Just one last question, if you are familiar with a comparable device like Imate K Jam, how would compare the hardware and the software of UT 6700 and this Imate model. Friends of mine who use this KJam cant stop praising it though in comparison with, say, my 6265, there is no radio, poorer audio/music, poorer camera, etc. But I want to compare UT 6700 with KJam. If you know, please share. Thanks again.

I have read that Treo 650 can be MADE TO USE on reliance network. Battery life of 6700 is pretty decent in all the manner. Ofcourse standby time is not I really appreciate. But I consider reliance responsible for that rather than PDA. Reliance network is deteriorating day by day. Rather becoming over crowded and CDMA has tendancy to make handset consume more power in case of network congestion.

kshah, this is very very interesting. Can one actually use a GSM Treo 650 over Reliance CDMA network? I wouldnt have believed it possible at first but there are people in this Forum (see the post of Tanveer above) who swear by you. This should be really great.

I am sorry if you misunderstood. I am talking about treo 650 (CDMA) may be model no is different.

Can we expect Imate phone in CDMA with range about 15,000/- as in GSM.

or some other windows based CDMA handset in this range.

Dont keep too much hopes from These CDMA Operators if you want greate Device only option u have is GSM

Dont keep too much hopes from These CDMA Operators if you want greate Device only option u have is GSM

You are right. but what has happened for me (and i am sure for many others) is that at home and at office, I have ensured that others also have reliance phones to save costs because of on net packages of sms and calls. If I have to shift to GSM, it means that I have to shift the whole bundle and thus consider the loss of such facilities, costs of new mobiles for all, informing all of new numbers, etc!! So, on balance, it seems that I should wait for the PPC 6800 (to get the latest technology) and keep the small hope alive that CDMA operators start thinking more of their customers!! Thanks.

You are right. but what has happened for me (and i am sure for many others) is that at home and at office, I have ensured that others also have reliance phones to save costs because of on net packages of sms and calls. If I have to shift to GSM, it means that I have to shift the whole bundle and thus consider the loss of such facilities, costs of new mobiles for all, informing all of new numbers, etc!! So, on balance, it seems that I should wait for the PPC 6800 (to get the latest technology) and keep the small hope alive that CDMA operators start thinking more of their customers!! Thanks.

By the time 6800 will be in India surely when obsolete world over. Reliance is selling 6700 after obsoleted only. So dont keep high hopes, it hurts.

By the time 6800 will be in India surely when obsolete world over. Reliance is selling 6700 after obsoleted only. So dont keep high hopes, it hurts.

Ya. what to do? Just bought my 6265 a couple of months ago (in replacement of a thoroughly lousy LG chocolate). so my gadgets budget for 2007 is already exceeded! B):clap:

My experience is that we land up spending more on handsets in CDMA (Read RIM) than GSM 'coz we never get what we really want, always compromise somewhere. In GSM you get handset exactly you want, so use for longer. Also CDMA handsets are really poor in quality and very lousy software wise (bcoz made impotent by reliance).

My experience is that we land up spending more on handsets in CDMA (Read RIM) than GSM 'coz we never get what we really want, always compromise somewhere. In GSM you get handset exactly you want, so use for longer. Also CDMA handsets are really poor in quality and very lousy software wise (bcoz made impotent by reliance).

You hit the proverbial nail right on the head! Many of (including me) are thrilled at a couple of thousand rupees of talk time but end up with very poor quality of handsets and service which finally results in net loss.

Its time to say bye bye to Reliance and Hook up with GSM Player with Good Handset with HSDPA (3G) Capability and EDGE (Enhanced GPRS) on Phone

I am Trying for Good Airtel Number with 3G and EDGE ENabled Pocket PC.

I have Preordered HTC Kaiser @ $ 700 in USA and Using HTC Touch right now.

Hi Hetal, I saw the photos of HTC Kaiser and it is a gorgeous model with features way beyond the existing models. The sliding keyboard, the 2.8mp camera, etc. were all features that makes the model attractive and with the HTC company behind it which, as I was surprised to learn a couple of months back, actually makes the Imate, O2, etc.

All the best!.And do post your review and experience of this model when you get it and use it!