Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Himanshu Singh

Defence To Free Up Spectrum By End '07: Minister

Military will free up some telecom spectrum by the end of 2007 which could be used by wireless operators to provide second (2G) and third generation (3G) mobile services, the telecoms minister said on Thursday.

"An institutional mechanism has been put in place for early vacation of spectrum by defence," Andimuthu Raja said at a conference. The defence ministry had set up a committee to decide on freeing part of the spectrum used by the military so that it may be used for commercial purposes.

"We are hopeful that some spectrum for both 2G and 3G services will be vacated by the end of this year," Raja said, adding the amount to be released would be decided by the defence ministry committee. Analysts expect 20-25 MHz of spectrum will be released.

Raja also said mobile operators may roll out 3G services by mid-2008. India, the world's fastest growing telecoms market, had 209 million wireless subscribers at end-September, an increase of 61 per cent from a year earlier. This rapid growth has led to a paucity of spectrum, affecting expansion plans of telecoms operators.

^^^

This confirmation is really a good news my dear friends.

Regards.

Whether the end'2007 will really come by december 2007 or 2008 or 2009?

it will because now reliance wants it. Not because reliance grease palm but they know how to convince people and also they are the only people capable to fight with multinationals.

^^^

@kshah

Well said my dear friend. Ofcourse Reliance is the only operator to give such biggies a kick. I'm eagerly waiting for the launch of Reliance GSM service.

Regards.