Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Arun Sarin To Leave Vodafone Tomorrow

Arun Sarin to leave Vodafone tomorrow; plans trekking in Himalayas

28 Jul, 2008, 1600 hrs IST, ET

LONDON: Arun Sarin, a controversial albeit one of the most successful CEOs of British telecom giant Vodafone, will hang his boots tomorrow to don a new gear for trekking in Himalayas.

Sarin, 53, quits Vodafone at the pinnacle of his career, accentuated by addition of India on the map of the UK telecom behemoth, amid speculation that he may get an offer from conglomerates like Tatas or a host of MNCs across the globe.

After heading the world's largest mobile firm for five years, a tenure that saw him grappling with demands for his resignation to the high points like takeover of Indian mobile player Hutch, India-born Sarin immediately plans trek to Himalayas before settling down in California.

Days before the scheduled voluntary retirement, Sarin, who often figured in global lists of most powerful business leaders, visited India along with his successor to participate in Vodafone-Essar board meeting, triggering speculation that he may join Tatas, but officials of the Indian conglomerate debunked any such report.

The British daily Financial Times said in a report today that "Sarin wants a new challenge, perhaps a mixture of business, philanthropy or a stint in public service - should a call come through from Downing Street or the White House".

Speculations have been rife about Sarin's next move right from the day Vodafone announced his departure two months ago -- spanning from possibilities of starting a PE firm, a public service role and taking up non-executive roles on boards of some large MNCs to heading some diversified business conglomerate in the US, UK or even India.

from the rumours what i have heard,he has got an offer from the Tata group!

Done my bit, not being pushed out of Vodafone: Arun Sarin

29 Jul, 2008, 1926 hrs IST, ET

LONDON: Arun Sarin today got a left handed compliment on the last day as CEO of the world's largest telecom firm Vodafone when he was asked to intervene to pacify agitated Indian-origin sharholders who wanted to know if he was being pushed out of the company that he took to new high.

Debunking suggestions that he was being pushed out, the Indian-origin Sarin, who figured regularly in the lists of most successful CEOs across the globe, said, "Decision to leave the company is entirely my own."

Sarin, 53, was asked to intervene after several Indian shareholders stood up at the company's Annual General Meeting to ask if the India-born CEO had been "pushed" from the top post.

Sarin, in reply, said, "I am assuming this is meant to be some kind of a backhanded compliment. Far from being pushed it was my decision. I approached the Chairman Sir John Bond, six to eight months ago, asking to be relieved because I wanted to spend more time with my family and return to California."

He recalled that when he joined Vodafone five years ago "I had a view: we wanted an international company, an integrated company, a real culture, a successful company."

"We wanted Vodafone to be not just in mobile telephony, but also be a leading player in broadband and internet provision. The things that I came to do, I've done," he said.

Sarin steps down as Vodafone chief, says India key to growth

30 Jul, 2008, 0006 hrs IST, ET

LONDON: Arun Sarin stepped down as chief executive of the mobile service provider Vodafone on Tuesday saying his strategy to invest in India remained key to offsetting recent losses in Europe.

"We feel positive about our business. I expect Europe to remain challenging but emerging markets to continue growing," Sarin told the annual general meeting of Vodafone shareholders before stepping down.

Sarin's last AGM as chief executive was dominated by repeated references to India both from the floor as well as the Vodafone management.

Sarin told investors Vodafone Essar, in which the British company has a 67 percent controlling interest - bought for 5.5 billion pounds in February last year - "is growing very rapidly".

"We are investing a lot of money to build the business. Our revenues are growing 50 percent a year... You can look forward to receiving big cash flow dividend in the coming years," Sarin said.

He said the Indian mobile phone market was growing at a rate of about 50 percent year-on-year.

He commended his strategy of "continued exposure to GDP growth in emerging markets like India", which in turn was backed by his successor Vittorio Colao and Vodafone chairman John Bond.

"Sarin gave a superb performance and led the charge to India, which was a hugely significant move for this company and I believe the best days of India clearly lie ahead," said Bond.

"India will continue to grow very excitingly in the years ahead and also become a source for talent for Vodafone," Bond said, adding he hoped to see more Indian professionals to be in "key positions" in Vodafone.

Several shareholders at the AGM praised Sarin's India move - one said the Vodafone logo could be seen "from coast to coast" in India, while another told Bond: "Thanks to Sarin, you've got a goldmine for 5.5 billion pounds."

A Vodafone spokesman told reporters there were no special farewells planned for Sarin.

"There was an event at the headquarters last Friday. We had a couple of drinks and he said a few words.... It wasn't a shindig or anything," he said.

At the AGM, Sarin assured a number of worried Indian-origin investors that the decision to step down was entirely his own, and that he wasn't pushed.

"The things that I came to do, I've done," he said. "I came from California. There's a desire on my part to go back to California. That's all it's about.

"I have done my bit. It's now time for someone else to take this company forward. It was my decision. I went to John (Bond) six, eight months ago.

"I want to spend some time with my family. And do something else. You're right, I am only 53 and there are many things in one's life you want to do other than be the chief executive of Vodafone."