Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
dhullazaran

Mogul's Complete Hack List

Mogul's Complete Hack List

WARNING:

If you don't know what "Registry Changes" are, please ask questions before attempting to do anything described below... you can loose all your data and brake your Mogul's software.

If you decide to do any on the below changes, DO THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Remember to backup the registry before editing it. If you are looking for a registry editor just have a look here :

Free Registry Editors

Speed up switching between Portrait & Landscape Modes

HKLM\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\

Change limit from 8192 to 16384

Faster but it will use more memory

Enable BT & USB DUN

Go to the phone application and dial ##3328873# (FEATURE) and hit dial. It will ask for your unlock code, so enter 000000 (six zeroes) EPST will popup and you'll see two entries: Enable Wmodem and Enable BT DUN. Highlight each in turn and click edit on the bottom right, change both to enabled. Push ok and it will prompt you to soft reset. After soft resetting, you can then dialup via Bluetooth or USB cable. In order to use the USB cable, you'll need the CDMA USB modem drivers which are on the product CD under \OEM\APPS\Drivers\CDMA USB Modem. Or download them (CDMA USB modem drivers.) It comes with a dialer program that you don't necessarily need to use. However, if you're using the USB cable, you have to start the wmodem program on your pocketPC to keep it from trying to activesync. It's located in \windows\wmodem.exe. Run this before you connect the handheld to your PC via USB. Then you can just setup a DUN connection in windows to dial #777, use your 10-digit number @ vzw3g.com as your username and vzw as the password. Once the connection is setup (assuming you're using a manual connection in windows) click on the "setup" button in the connection under USB CDMA modem and change the COM port speed to whatever the highest setting you have is. After that, you should be able to dial up just fine.

Change softkeys on "Today" screen

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\keys\112 for left

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Today\keys\113 for right

You may not have a 113, but you can just make the 113 identical to 112 and change the "open" command. The value for "Default" controls what is displayed on the screen.

Get rid of SMS Delivery acknowledgements (popup text msg)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\SMS

Change "Delivery Ack" from 1 to 0

Now go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox

Once on 'Inbox', start a new 'key' and name it "Settings" when done, click on your new key Settings

Now you should be on HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings

Start a new 'Dword' and name it "SMSNoSentMsg" with the 'Value Data' of "1″.

Activate MS Voice Command via Bluetooth

You must have Microsoft Voice Command installed to use this hack.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\VoiceCommand\Path

Change the default value from

\Windows\SDDialer.exe to

\Program Files\Voice Command\VoiceCMD.exe

Eliminate accidentally dialing #777 (useful if you don't have the unlimited plan)

Add a user name to the Data Network connection, without any password. In this way, when ever the phone attempts to dial #777, a password screen pops up. You can click cancel, if it isn't intentional, or just click "OK", and it will then complete the connection.

Not sure how? Here is how:

Tap on Start > Settings > Connections > Connections > Manage existing connections

Edit the Data Network Connect that has the #777 number

Click next > next > then put in a username (ANY name will do), and NOTHING else.

Increasing ringer volume!!

I was very annoyed by the ringer volume on the 6700 like some others. I figured out a way to increase the volume on the phones without voiding any warranty on the phone.

First - Go download this freeware called WavePad. We are going to edit the ringer with this program.

Second - Pick a song with the program that you would like to use as a ringer and open it. (wav format)

Third - Cut the length of the song to about 20 sec. You do this by putting the indicator on any point on the track and going to the Edit trim start (for the beginning) and Edit trim end (for the end).

Four After you cut your track to the length you would like, you want to highlight the whole edited track. Just click and drag over the entire track. Now go to the Effects tab High pass filter. I recommend putting in a value of 200MHz and up. Not lower than 200Mhz because our Mogul can’t handle well low frequencies. Then click OK.

Fifth - Now go to Effects tab and amplify the sound in intervals of 120. Make sure you don’t amplify the sound too much. If the sound starts cracking when you amplify it you know you have put to much amplification in it. Just undo and lower the intervals.

Sixth - Now go to File > Save As and type in the name and location you want to save the file to. Then a dialog box will pop up. I recommend saving the file as Radio Quality. That gives you a pretty good sound out of the phone. Now just add to the phone like normal.

NOTE if your speaker is popping on your phone when you test the ringer. You have put much amplification. Or you might need to switch the high pass filter to a high value like 250 or 300.

MP3/WMA/WAV for Ringtones:

Add media files into "\Windows\Rings\" folder or use File Explorer and click and hold on media file and select "Set as Ringtone"

WAV for SMS/EMAIL/Alerts/Alarms:

Add WAV files into "\Windows\" folder

They will now be available in the Settings > Sounds and Notifications section.

Registry hack for longer/shorter keyboard light

HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight\

At the bottom you'll see a key that says QKeyLedTimeOut

Modify that key and change the D Word from 10 to whatever seconds you want.

Disable start menu animation

HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Menu

Change "AniType" to 0

Force EVDO/1X for a quicker ring response

To do this, you will need your MSL number, which only Sprint can provide you. Verizon’s code is 000000. Open up the phone app and dial ##778# (PST). You will be asked to enter your MSL. Enter it, and you will be brought into the provisioning of your phone. From the top left, select Modem Settings. On this page, your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) is how often your phone polls the tower for incoming calls. This value is 1.28 seconds multiplied by 2^value (i.e 0=1.28 secs, 1=2.56secs) with 0 fastest, 7 slowest. The default is 2, but lowering it to 1 hasn't noticeably affected my battery life, and roughly 2.5 second (SCI 1) response time is far more reasonable than roughly 5 seconds (SCI 2).

Also on this page is your preferred operation mode. The Default is Automatic, which is the best available mode (EV that will roll back to 1X when EV is unavailable). There are times when you might be in a fringe area and your mode may cycle frequently and this can seriously drain your battery. Setting this to HDR will force EVDO only if you demand an EVDO connection. Changing this setting to CDMA only will force the phone to ignore an EVDO tower and maintain only a 1xRTT connection.

Step by Step guide to removing junk from new rom

Here are the steps I followed, since there seems to be a lack of usable instructions on this site.

1) Install the new ROM update, and let it do it's thing and install all of the junkware.

2) Delete any existing partnerships with ActiveSync, and then reconnect the PPC6700 to the computer.

3) When prompted create a new partnership, and uncheck all of the checkmarks by the sync items, so you get an ActiveSync profile that does not sync anything.

4) Download the Apache ROM unlocker

5) Download Total Commander

6) For the ROM unlocker, they used RAR to compress. You will need to get WinRAR to unrar. Once that is done put the .exe on your PPC6700 by using the Explore option of ActiveSync.

7) Put the total commander program on your ppc6700 in the same way you did the unlocker.

8) Disconnect the PPC6700 from the computer and use File Explorer on it to find the files you just put on there.

9) First click the total commander icon and this will install total commander.

10) Next click the ROM unlocker link and it will pop a dialog box. Click ok.

11) Soft reset the device

12) Once back up run the total commander program out of Start -> Programs -> Total Commander.

13) Type in the path \Extended_ROM\ in the path box

14) Select the config file from that folder and move it to you Documents and Settings to modify it.

15) Pull up the properties on the file and uncheck the read only attirbute of the config file.

16) Use total commander to edit it. Romove the following lines:

CAB: \Extended_ROM\WTLAudiblePlayerPocketPC.arm.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\AudibleSample.sa.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\sprint_software_store.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\GetGL.CAB

CAB: \Extended_ROM\Disable_RemoveProgram.sa.CAB

17) Pull up the properties of the file again and re-enable the read only attribute of the config file.

18) Move the file back to \Extended_ROM\ directory.

19) Hard Reset the device

20) After it installs all of the necessarry files, go to the remove programs setting and remove the 2 programs listed there. I dont know what is installing them, but they are junkware related so get rid of them.

Now you have a PPC6700 free of junkware!

Enables the Ext Rom visible

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemStora geManagerAutoLoadTRUEFFS_DOC1]

"Bootphase"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemStora geManagerProfilesTRUEFFS_DOC1]

"MountHidden"=dword:00000000

Below is a copy of Verizon's config.txt for the cabs to be loaded on hard reset:

SHOW: Extended_ROMVerizon_Logo2.bmp

EXEC: Extended_ROMTPDisable.exe

CAB: Extended_ROMVZWProvision_Signe d.sa.CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMSigned_MMS3.0.6.22 _Apache_VZW_26Sep05.CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMCustomize_105201.s a.CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMEnable_RingTone.sa .CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMRegion.sa.CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMVZWProvision.PPC40 0_2577MTM.CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMRemove.sa.CAB

CAB: Extended_ROMLink.sa.CAB

EXEC:Extended_ROMTPEnable.exe

RST: Reset

An easy way to get rid of the "user configurations" Verizon enables is to hard reset the 6700 (hold down both soft keys while hitting the reset key.)

Once your device resets and you begin the set-up wizard you can then reset the device before any of the "customizations" are installed. If you want to go back and install the "customizations" you can install them one by one by unlocking the Extended Rom and then opening the cab files yourself.

You can browse to the Extended Rom and view the CAB files by installing Total Commander and typing /Extended_ROM/

The important one's to install seem to be:

Enable_RingTone.sa.CAB

Link.sa.CAB

Region.sa.CAB

Signed_MMS3.0.6.22_Apache_VZW_26Sep05.CAB

VZWProvision.PPC400_2577MTM.CAB

VZWProvision_Signed.sa.CAB

The nice part about installing CAB's this way is that you can uninstall them at anytime.

Thankfully VZW doesn't install all the Junk that Sprint does, but they do add some restrictions, such as crippling WiFi and Bluetooth...this should help eliminate both of those restrictions.

Today Screen Wireless

This will show if you are on your home network or roaming, also it will show if your WiFi & bluetooth is On/Off. Very cool hack, thanks to that_kid for posting this over at pdaphonehome.com

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Click SOFTWARE

Click Microsoft

Click Today

Click Items

Click "Wireless"

Thier will be nothing in this folder to start!

Now add the fallowing to the folder

Add new Dword with a name Flags and the value is "0"

Add new Dword with a name Options and the value is "0"

Add new String Value with a name DLL value is "netui.dll"

Add new Dword with a name Order and the value is "0"

Add new Dword with a name Enabled and the value is "1"

Add new Dword with a name Type and the value is "4

Now close the program and soft reset the phone.

If you hate the way the volume slider works by default .

Push and hold down the thimb wheel and it moves down once, then moves down rapidly. You let go and it keeps moving. Argh! You can change this. Go to Settings / Personal tab / Buttons / Up/Down Control tab. I set my Repeat rate to the slowest setting and that seems to turn repeat off. With that setting, you have to slide it and release it once for every notch you want to move up/down in adjusting the volume

The Vision duration registry edit from the 6600 works on the 6700.

This edit allows you to see the duration of your Vision connection along with a button to disconnect it. You see it in the bubble that is displayed when you tap the Vision icon.

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Click ControlPanel

Click Phone

[at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'

Click the bottom menu 'edit'

Select new dword value

Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).

Select the 'hexidecimal' button.

Type 10

Click ok.

You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

Flags2 16 (0x00010)

When done, reset the device.

Make Your PocketPC Faster

Open your registry editor on your Pocket PC

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\

3. Change the value of 'limit' from 8192 to 16384… or even to 32768 for a faster setting but eats up more memory

4. Close registry editor and soft reset.

Increase the Quality of the Video the camera takes :

HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\ReParam\MP4Large (or Medium or Small).

Change the FramRate value from 10 to 19

*don't exceed 19

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS

I changed the CacheSize key from 0 to 8192 and it seems to have sped up my ppc. not only that but BT 3900B doesnt seem to give me the memory error anymore that had begun to reoccur. give it a try and let me know what you find

Obviously you actually lose quite a bit of space with this hack with a value of 16384, around 16mb almost. I instead used 4096 as the value a 3-4mb loss, no biggie since i have a 1gb sd card). This seems to improve the speed of my PPC as well. I might try a value of 8192 here soon as well as i have plenty of space available

How to Store PocketInternetExplorer data on your Mini-SD card instead of the internal storage.

It currently results in a PocketIE error where it crashes and closes immediately after loading a page. Clearing the data using the options in PocketIE solves the problem temporarily.

find this key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\

3 values are here:

\Windows\Profiles\Guest\History

\Windows\Profiles\Guest\Cookies

\Windows\Profiles\Guest\Temporary Internet Files

Create a folder on your storage card for all three and edit the values above:

\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\History

\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\Cookies

\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\Temporary Internet Files

After doing this, I ran PocketIE and browsed a few websites and it appears that the temporary files are now being stored on my storage card! Let me know how this works for you...

you should be able to clear your Windows\Profiles\Guest folder now...it had been saving my gmail login/pw and when i changed the registry to bounce it to the storage card, it no longer remembered...so it's not using these folders anymore.

My last question would be about the folder \Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - but that folder, for me, appears to be only taking about 20kb.

edit: i just found that, after making these changes, if you go to clear your temporary internet files through pocketIE, it will clear the storage card folders...if you want to clear your windows/profiles folder (which you should, to get all that space back), either do it before making these changes, or do a soft reset and use file explorer to delete the files right afterwards.

Always On Internet (Vision) Connection

- Change the "AlwaysOn" dword value from "0" to "1";

-- You may be asked for your Vision ID/PW. Just leave blank.

-- Warm Reset

[[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\ConnMgr\Providers\{7C4B7A38-5FF7-4bc1-80F6-5DA7870BB1AA}\Connections\Sprint PCS Vision]

"AlwaysOn"=dword:00000001

"RequirePw"=dword:00000001

"ConnectionGUID"="{8956986C-8ABE-ECBF-D48F-57F7DD6A7E6A}"

"SecureLevel"=dword:00000000

"Secure"=dword:00000000

"Enabled"=dword:00000001

"EntryType"=dword:00000000

"DestId"="{F079757F-9357-4000-8305-9CA6B9B6CAEC}"

Add a disconnect button and connection time to your vision connection bubble:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Phone

Go to New value, then click dword value

Name the value "Flags2" without the quotes

Choose decimal value and enter 16 for value amount

Soft Reset and tap on the vision icon and it will show the disconnect button and connection time.

Please note: The "always on" tweak and the Disconnect button/time connected tweak will NOT work together. The always on tweak will override the other tweak and those extra options will not be shown.

How to Change Internet Explorer Start Page

In the \windows\appbuttons folder you'll see an "Internet Explorer.lnk" file. If open the file using Word mobile it contains:

28#"\Windows\iexplore.exe"

\windows\default.htm

Edit the file so that it just says:

28#"\Windows\iexplore.exe"

Close Word mobile, kill any running instance of IE and restart it using the hardware button. Should work now.

Found a great little program that's free and doesn't do anything.

Let me explain-There's been a few people complaining, me too, that the virtual keyboard will often keep popping up and getting in the way when you don't need to be typing anything. Download NullKeyboard and it put adds a choice in the list of available input devices. It's a keyboard that doesn't do anything. More importantly it never pops up. When you actually need a virtual keyboard just pick something else.

Front Button Tips:

To allow buttons to turn device on: Go to settings-personal tab-buttons-lock tab this will allow you to change settting

Volume slider adjustments:

settings-personal tab- buttons-up/dn controls

Vision duration (see how long you are connected to vision & disconnect button)

- Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

-Click ControlPanel

- Click Phone

- [at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'

- Click the bottom menu 'edit'

- Select new dword value

- Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).

- Select the 'hexidecimal' button.

- Type 16

- Click ok.

- You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

- Flags2 16 (0x00010)

- When done, reset the device.

Make PIE look like version 6.0

(advert security check on websites) (Note: This can cause content problems. Esp. with video streams. You will get the following errors - Cannot play the file. The file is either corrupted or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play".)

- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\

- Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent \

- Change the default value from "Mozilla/2.0" to "Mozilla/4.0".

- Change the "Version" value from "MSIE 3.02" to "MSIE 6.0".

- Change the "Platform" value from "Windows CE" to "Windows NT 5.1".

- Some web sites may just compare the user agent string, but if this is not enough, browse to the Post Platform\ sub key and delete the "240x320" value that specifies screen size.

ActiveSync 4.0 turns on automatically

There were several posts indicating ActiveSync turns on by itself when the Axim is not cradled and eventually drains the battery. It never happens to me. Circumvention provided by Invid:

Disabling automatic syncing (and activesync startup) did. The new activesync is a dog, even worse than it was on WM2003SE and makes my x50v almost useless while running. I will list the steps to disable it. Note that you will still be able to sync, but AS will no longer start up on it's own.

1) Start up AS on your x50.

2) Tap the menu tab/soft key and tap "Add Server Source"

3) Configure a server source with a dummy IP address, user id, password and domain name; these do not have to be real

4) Once configured you should have another sync source show up on your main AS screen...continue on.

5) Tap the menu soft key again and you should see that the sync schedule option is no longer greyed out.

6) Change your schedule from a timed automatic start of AS to manual under both fields

7) If you try to sync now, AS will try to contact your imaginary exchange server and that will take forever until it times out, so you can now delete the exchange server from your list of sync sources. Your changes to the sync schedule will remain and will survive soft resets too.

If you have a switcher app running (like vbar) you will find that when you close AS it will now stay closed and you should see a corresponding increase in speed.

So you know how you get crappy images from the sprint proxy server? (like when you go to google and you see a grey box behind the compressed grainy google logo) Well, lets say you want to see pictures, but the real natural picture, and dont want the ugly compressed version, or lets say you need to download album art from the net to put into WMP10, you want colorful art right? Here's a solution.

Heres the correct reg edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows-> CurrentVersion -> Internet Settings -> 5.0 -> User Agent

change default to the following:

Mozilla/4.0 ; Blazer/4.0

make sure to do a soft reset and refresh your browser

Remove Wireless Manager and Power Icons from System Tray

First let me thank everyone for sharing what you have learned on our 6700's. I hope this is one of many post's with something helpful in it.... anyway here it goes...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\WirelessMgr

DWord: Keep Set Value: 0 0x0(0)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\Power

DWord: ShowIcon Set Value: 0 0x0(0)

HOW TO: Permanently Disable Flight Mode

You must have a registry editor installed on the PPC. I used PHM RegEdit

Go to the registry and change the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> ControlPanel -> PhoneExtendFunction -> CDMA

Change FlightModeSwitchByPnHEndKey to 0

This will prevent the phone from going into Flight Mode if you accidentally press the End Call button for too long.

Note that Flight Mode can still be used by tapping the signal strength meter. (I wish I could disable that too)

I shut off my blinking LED

Hkey_Local_Machine/Drivers/Builtin/AllLEDMgr

And change the Index value from 1 to 0

Then soft reset.

This is for both the blue and green LEDs.

[EDIT. Note: This deactivated the vibrate mode on my phone]

Speed up dialing on your 6700:

Turn off keypad tones:

Press green phone button

Bottom right "MENU"

OPTIONS

KEYPAD = OFF

OK

speeds up the dialing process a lil bit

But remember one thing- If you turn the tones off, then you will lose your ability to send "TouchTones" by hitting certain digits. No dialing of extensions, PIN numbers etc.

Prevent your Today background screen from getting reset every time you do a soft reset

Take any file management program and go to \Windows\StartUp. There should be a link to a program called __cusTSKTEMP.exe. Delete this link (or move it someplace else if you feel awkward about deleting things inside \Windows). I have tested this on a Verizon phone

Change Voice Codec (VOCODER) from EVRC to 13k on xv6700

First dial ##778

Tap on "Edit"

Enter Unlock Code 000000

Tap on arrow to upper left hand of screen to reveal drop down menu where it says "Display"

Select "CDMA Settings"

Click and hold on the "EVRC Enabled" line under the Settings column

Select "Edit"

Switch to "Disabled"

Then press "ok"

Click and hold on the "Home Page" line under the Settings column

Select "Edit"

Switch to "Voice 13k"

Repeat for "Home Orig" and "Roam Orig"

Voice Command Volume Fix

Open your regedit program

Go to

HKEY Current User - Control panel - Sound Catagories - Voice Command (or Voicecommand1)-

click on voice command(or voicecommand1) and look for the keys and value section

In the settings

Change:

Attenuation Catagory - Value 1

InitVol - Value 3

Close the edit app

soft reset

and then you might need to check your settings in Voice Command.

Once you have the VOice command settings set for the phone for announce calls, etc

Then call your phone and see if you notice an increase in volume.

If you are running any 3rd party apps, you might need to make sure the volume is set to full.

Cleartype mode in Landscape view

1. Goto "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\ClearTypeSettings\OffOnRotation"

2. Change/ensure the value is "0"

3. Soft reset

Another CACHE tweak

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\f sreplxfilt\ReplStoreCacheSize" and change/ensure value is "8192"

Start Items

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extensions\NewMenu

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Start Items

IE always wanting to go to the "blank" setting and not my home page

- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs

- change "blank" to whatever you want

Change Site IE Button brings up on your Keyboard (HTC)

Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\OEM\KEYBD\PieHomePage". You can either delete the value completely and get a LOCAL windows default page like I do or put in the site or local file of your choice.

Many people have experienced the DSOD

i.e. the phone's LEDs still blink but the device won't turn on and needs to be soft-reset. I'm collecting all the things we can do here to avoid DSOD. I haven't completely gotten rid of it, but I'm down from "DSOD after literally every hour" to "once a week".

- Disable the automatic ActiveSync checking. This is the official solution Verizon Data Technical Support gave me. "Stop Activesync". Yes, VZW Support told me to follow those clumsy steps.

- Do not install software on the storage card that might trigger automatically. That means: Absolutely no today plug-ins, no ring tones, nothing that runs in the background, and nothing that could accidentally be triggered if you hit one of the buttons of your device.

- Do not store data that might be accessed automatically. Same thing. Basically, do not store mail attachments on the storage card if you have wireless sync.

- Close programs that use the storage card before turning your device off. Magic Button is an excellent tool to do this.

- If you do install programs on the storage card, do NOT use the "Programs" window or the start menu to start them. Instead, use a File Explorer to run them. If you use "Programs" or the start menu, that program will be in your list of recently accessed applications in the start menu. So the next time you turn your device on and click on the start menu, the system will access your storage card to load the icon of the application - this will create a noticeable delay of several seconds, if not DSOD.

- You may try disabling the auto-shutoff of your device. Personally, I don't do that, but many people in this forum have successfully avoided DSODs by preventing their device from going into sleep mode in the first place, with just the backlight turned off.

- Get a good holster or find another good way of transporting your device. It seems to me that physical impact can cause DSODs. It might be a bad idea to carry the phone in your pocket. Try a good holster (and stay clear of the Verizon holster - my personal favorite is the Seidio holster, but check this forum first before making a decision - there are good reviews for most available holsters available).

- Don't randomly install crap. Every single piece of software you install could interfere with your system. Limit the software you install to what you really need. Check the forums, some people named a few programs that explicitly did not work for them.

Please send me things to add and I'll edit this entry if your suggestion has been proven to help. The main thread to discuss DSOD is here - please don't shift it over into this thread.

Remove Battery Icon on System Tray

But it wont remove the batt icon on the top

Change this registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\Power]

"ShowIcon"= to a 1

Automatic/Manual Time Sync (also Voice Privacy)

DO NOT EDIT YOUR REGISTRY IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....

Edit Regkey HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\PhoneSetting

Look for HiddenTimesyncPage and set the value to 0

(repeat for HiddenVoicePrivacyPage if you wish)

Now... When you got to Settings -> Phone -> Services you should see Time Synchronization (and Voice Privacy if you edited that key as well)

Active Sync Solution to Battery Drain Problem

think I have a solution to the Battery drain problem with the XV6700 PDA phone. It looks like Ative sync is trying to come on and sync draining the power from our units. Talked to a verizon tech. who provided the available info. Hope it helps. Sure has been an irritant not being able to trust my phone. Here's the instructions:

Go to program files

Go to active sync

Go to menu

Go to add server source (add a fake server and settings)

Once that is finished

Go to Schedule and set to manual

Go to options and delete exchange server from options

Working good so far. For the first time I have had 90% power all day long. Always before it would go down to 60% power or less in one day with no phone calls or gaming.

Please note that some have reported this "trick" is not compatible with the NEW Sprint AKU2/MSFP Rom update. Others have reported it works with the ROM update if you turn off the network time sync under phone settings

Edit the extended dictionary! look no further.

wow it seemed so difficult at first...but i found a .zip file that contained a .cab deep in one of its directories and it's a very small, simple dictionary editor.

you can add, delete or edit the words in the dictionary...as well as changing their "weight." the default and lowest weight is 3 and the highest is 113...i read somewhere that it is recommended that you set new words to 3 and let them change their weight automatically (the file is dynamically updated by the OS based on the frequency of use).

click "about" to see the instructions (they are cut short but i think everything important was covered).

you must click file/save and then file/reset before any changes will be saved/take effect. if you exit the program without reseting, any changes will be lost. if you click file/open, you will lose your changes because it will reopen the current .dat file.

to edit the word, highlight it and it will appear at the top of the screen. then change the spelling and click file/save. remember to soft reset.

i think this pretty much covers it - remember the phone already has a built in dictionary that has many words...this file cannot be larger than 7-8k apparently and so you shouldn't just add as many words as you can think of...just ones that don't show up with autocomplete that would be useful for you. it's also useful to edit out the words you don't want to show or that are spelled incorrectly.

Change Solitaire Graphics

You may have noticed that the graphics in solitaire look horrible. Indeed they look like they have not been updated since Windows CE 1.0.

The truth is that somebody at microsoft simply forgot to include the updated graphics in Windows Mobile releases for QVGA devices.

Fortunately the updated graphics are stored in a seperate file that can simply be added to the "/Windows/" folder.

The file is pegcards.96.dll Simply copy the file into your /Windows/ folder. Run solitaire. If it did not work, try soft reseting.

I'm not personally all that crazy about the updated graphics, but they are definitely better.

Increasing Speaker Volume

Try increasing the value in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Phone/"Vol"

I cranked it up to 95000 (original value is 65535 and that increase the volume substantially, I don't know what it will max out at or how it will effect battery power (I don't even care, as long as the volume is louder).

Modify the Low battery warning

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877D663-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}\

Create a String value named "Default" and set its value to "Low battery warning".

Now go to Start > Settings > Personal tab > Sounds & Notifications applet > Notifications tab, select "Low battery warning" in the "Select an event" drop-down list and you can customize it."

Additionally, another poster wrote:

"Change options value to 1073741833... not exactly sure what this references but what it does is allow for the repeat box to not be greyed out anymore under sounds and notifications. This is the same value that is listed under the reminders entry, thats where I got the idea from.

Ok so now turn off the ppc, soft reset and when you come back up you are going to have access to Low battery under sounds and notifications with all the options available. (Turn off repeat)"

Dialer codes

##DEBUG# - Opens a page called field trail. Shows the cellular radio debug info, signal etc... This one is safe for even inexperienced users as you cant mess anything up here. It simply displays information.

##RTN# - Shows runtime and info on phone. This one is safe for even inexperienced users as you cant mess anything up here. It simply displays information.

##pst# - edit epst. Displays critical data allows you to edit A-key, NAM settings, CDMA settings, home SID and NID, modem settings, PRL, packet dial string, phone directiry, M.IP settings, M.IP default profile and 5 customer profiles.

##VOCODER# - vocoder??? settings are home orig and roam orig

##AKEY# - Allows you to set a AKEY for the phone

##DATA# - Main programming of Sprint vision options

##PRL# - unlock PRL

#HELP# - only one # before code... It flashes the screen but nothing else. perhaps a modem reset?

##DIAG# - Passthrough enabled

##PREV# - Allows you to set the p-rev of your phone

How to hide the battery icon from the top bar

You'd need to add a DWORD ShowTitleBarBattery with value 1 in the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell

Extend the timeout of the Keyboard LED

HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight\QkeyLedTimeout

You can set it at 15 but you can have it set to whatever you wish

Force the data connection

HKLM\Software\OEM\PhoneSetting\HiddenModeOperationPage

Change from 1 to 0

Save and soft reset

After resetting, go to:

Start > Settings > Phone > Services > Mode of operation

You will now have 3 choices, Hybrid (default), EVDO, and 1X. This is great for those stuck on the fringe areas of 1X and EVDO!

How to create a start menu shortcut and get it listed under Programs

(for a program that's not actually installed)

Hook phone up through Activesync

Navigate to the folder containing the program that you need a start menu shortcut for.

Highlight the .EXE file, right click and create a shortcut. (You can rename it if you want, like delete "shortcut to" out of the name)

Next, move the shortcut to this folder:

Device\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

There will now be an option to link to that program in the start menu, it will also be listed and can be launched under "Programs".

Change the way your D-pad scrolls from TABBING to normal PAGE DOWN/PAGE UP.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Navigation\4-Way Nav

Change Value from 1 to 0

NOTE: This hack will cause opening any new messages (SMS, email, etc) at the footnote-end of the message. You will have to scroll-up all the time to read the beginning of every message.

How to Increase Your Battery Life

These will give you a serious extension on your battery life. If not, you've a bad battery or are using a non-OEM charger...get a replacement battery from Sprint. Everything below the bar is the 'quoted' material.

These WILL work, and WILL improve your performance!

1. HKLM\Comm\AsyncMac1\Parms\DisablePowerManagement

Change Dword value from 1 (default) to 0

2. HKLMComm\Irsir1\Parms\DisablePowerManagement

3. HKLM\Comm\PPTP1\Parms\DisablePowerManagement

4. HKLM\Comm\L2TP1\Parms\DisablePowerManagement

How-to: The Complete Guide to Text Messaging

When you’ve got a Windows Mobile phone, telephone calls aren’t the only way to keep in touch with your friends, family and colleagues. Your Windows Mobile device offers many powerful text-messaging features! But if you’re anything like me, you barely scratch the surface of texting functions.

This Windows Mobile guide will show you how to get the most out of your text messaging and help you broaden your communication options!

Compose and send a text message

# Tap Start > Messaging > Text Messages.

# Tap Menu > New.

# In the To field, enter the recipient’s phone number, or to insert a number from your contacts, tap Menu > Add Recipient, and then select a name.

# Scroll to or tap the message area and enter your message.

# Tap Send.

Note: A single text message can be up to 160 characters. If you compose a text message that is longer than 160 characters, it will be sent automatically as two or more text messages.

Request message delivery notification

# Tap Menu > New.

# In the To field, enter the recipient’s phone number, or to insert a number from your contacts, tap Menu > Add Recipient, and then select a name.

# Scroll to or tap the message area and enter your message.

# Tap Menu > Message Options.

# Select the Request message delivery notification check box.

# Tap OK.

# Complete your message, and then tap Send.

Send a text message to a speed dial number

# Tap Start > Phone.

# Press, but do not hold, the assigned speed dial number on the keypad. The corresponding speed dial contact will display.

Note: If you press and hold the speed dial number, the device will begin dialing the contact’s phone number.

# If more than one contact appears, scroll to the contact to which you want to send a text message.

# Tap Menu > Send Text Message.

# Scroll down and enter the message text.

# Tap Send.

Use a signature in text messages

You can use a text signature in your text messages as you would in e-mail. To use a text messaging signature, you first have to create one.

# Tap Start > Messaging, and then scroll to Text Messages.

# Tap Menu > Options > Signatures.

# In the Select an account field, make sure that Text Messages is selected.

# Select the Use signature with this account check box.

# Select the Use when replying and forwarding check box, if you want.

# Enter your signature and then tap OK. The signature will appear the next time that you send a text message.

Send a text message from your call history

# Tap Start > Phone > Call History.

# Scroll to and then tap the contact to which you want to send a text message.

# Tap Menu > Open Contact.

# Tap Menu > Send Text Message.

# Scroll to the text entry area and enter the message text.

# Tap Send.

Save sent text messages

You can save copies of sent text messages to your Sent Messages folder. Then, if you want to forward or re-send a message, you will not have to re-type it.

# Tap Menu > Tools > Options > Message tab.

# Select the Keep copies of sent items in Sent folder check box.

# Tap OK.

Copy a text message from the inbox to your SIM card

You can copy text messages to the SIM card in your device so that, if you switch devices, you can transfer your messages to the new device together with the SIM card. Messages must be copied one at a time.

# In the message list, scroll to the message that you want to copy.

# Tap Menu > Copy to SIM.

Send a text message to a contact

# Tap Start > Contacts.

# Scroll to and then tap the contact.

# Scroll to the contact’s phone number, and then tap Menu > Send Text Message. A new message form appears, ready for you to complete and send.

# Complete your message, and then tap Send.

Note: If the contact does not have a phone number or e-mail address, you will be unable to select it. Add the missing information for the contact and then create the text message.

Insert predefined text into a message

To save time when composing a text message, you can insert predefined text into messages by selecting from a list of phrases.

The phrases are:

1. What are you up to?

2. Just checking in…

3. Where are you?

4. Check this out!

5. I’ll be right there.

6. I’m running late.

7. I’ll get back to you.

8. Urgent! Please reply ASAP.

9. Let’s catch up soon.

# Tap Menu > New.

# Scroll down to the message area, and then tap Menu > My Text.

# Tap the text you want.

# Tap Send.

Customize predefined text

To save time when composing a text message, you can insert predefined text into messages by selecting from a list of nine phrases. You can edit these phrases to say exactly what you want, and then save them to use repeatedly. Each edited phrase replaces an existing phrase so that there are never more than nine phrases.

# Tap Menu > New.

# Scroll down to the message area, and then tap Menu > My Text > Edit My Text Messages.

# Scroll to the predefined text that you want to customize, make your changes in the box at the bottom of the screen, and then tap OK. Your customized text replaces the original text.

Reply to a text message

# Scroll to a message.

# Tap Menu > Reply, and then tap Reply or Reply All.

# Enter your message, and then tap Send.

Forward a text message

# Scroll to a message.

# Tap Menu > Reply > Forward.

# In the To field, enter the phone number of the person to whom you are forwarding the message, or tap Menu, and then tap Add Recipient to add a recipient from your contacts list.

# Scroll to the message area and add to the original message, if you want.

# Tap Send.

Receive and manage messages

If you receive lots of text messages, the advice in this section will help you manage your messages more efficiently.

Delete all text messages

You can delete all the messages in the Inbox and Sent Items folders at the same time.

# Tap Menu > Tools > Clear “Text Messages”.

# Tap Yes to confirm.

Mark a text message as read or unread

# Scroll to the message, tap Menu, and then tap Mark as read or Mark as unread.

Be notified when a text message arrives

# Tap Start > Settings > Personal tab > Sounds & Notifications.

# Tap the Notifications tab.

# In the Event field, scroll to and tap Messaging: New text message.

# Select one or more of the following options:

o Play sound

o Display message on screen

o Flash light for

o Vibrate

# Select the settings that you want for each option.

# Tap OK.

Move a text message to a different folder

You can move text messages from the inbox or another folder to a different folder.

To move a text message from the inbox to a different folder:

# Scroll to the message that you want to move.

# Tap Menu > Move.

# Tap the folder to which you want to move the message, and then tap Select.

To move a text message from another folder:

# Tap Menu > Go To > Folders, and then tap the folder that contains the message that you want to move.

# Scroll to the message that you want to move.

# Tap Menu > Move.

# Tap the folder to which you want to move the message, and then tap Select.

Enable or disable delivery reports

You can set up text messaging to notify you when your outgoing messages have been delivered to each recipient.

# Tap Menu > Tools > Options.

# Tap the Accounts tab.

# In the Tap an account to change settings field, tap Text Messages.

# Select or clear the Request delivery notifications check box.

# Tap OK.

How-to: Setup, configure, and personalize your device - a comprehensive guide

Configuring your device involves making some one-time settings that personalize the device for your use. It’s super easy! Check out this in-depth how-to on setting up, configuring, and personalizing your Windows Mobile handset and get started now!

Set the date and time

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clock & Alarms.

* On the Time tab, select the correct time zone and set the date and time.

Note: During synchronization, the time on your device is updated with the time on your computer.

Set up language and regional settings

Regional settings specify the style in which numbers, currency, dates, and times are displayed.

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Regional Settings.

* On the Region tab, select your language and region.

* To change other settings, tap a tab and make the changes you want.

* Tap OK.

Specify the sound for an event

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Sounds & Notifications.

* On the Sounds tab, select the check box for each type of item for which you want to enable a sound.

* Tap the up arrow, and then tap Show Options.

* On the Notifications tab, in Event, tap an event name and select how you want to be notified by selecting the appropriate check boxes.

You can select several options, such as a special sound, a message, a flashing light, or a vibration.

Quick Tip: Turning off sounds and the flashing light helps to conserve battery power.

Select a background image for the Today screen

You can add a favorite picture or other image to your device and use it as a background image for your Today screen display. Be aware that background pictures can make it harder to read text on the Today screen.

* Tap Start > Settings > Personal tab > Today.

* Select the Use this picture as the background check box and tap Browse to view a list of your picture files.

* In Folder, select the folder that contains the picture you want to use.

* In Type, select the file type of the picture.

* Tap the file name of the picture you want to use.

* Tap OK.

Quick Tips:

* To revert to the default background, tap Start > Settings > Today. Under Select a theme for your device, tap Windows Default. Clear the Use this picture as the background check box, and then tap OK.

* When you use the camera to take a picture, you can tap Menu > Set as Today Background. When you do this, you can select the degree of transparency you want when the picture is used as a background image.

* Tap the up arrow, and then tap Go to Slide.

Change the size of text on the screen

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Screen > Text Size tab.

* Move the slider to increase or decrease the text size.

* Tap OK.

Security and personal information

You can make your device more secure by enabling the device lock and configuring it with a SIM PIN.

* The device lock can improve the security of your device and information by locking your device after it is unused for a specified time. You unlock the device by entering your password.

* The SIM PIN helps protect information that is stored on your SIM card. After it is set up, you must enter the SIM PIN every time that you turn on the device.

Quick Tips: There are several ways to better protect the information that you store on your device.

* You can encrypt files as they are added to an optional storage card so that the files can only be read on your device.

* You can encrypt some of your outgoing e-mail to restrict access and prevent forwarding, copying, or printing of sensitive information (for Outlook e-mail using an Exchange Server only).

* You can use digital signatures to improve the security of outgoing e-mail (for Outlook e-mail using an Exchange Server only).

Add owner information

You can enter personal information on your device. This includes your name, phone number, e-mail address, and notes. This information might help someone return your device to you if you lose it.

* Tap Start > Settings > Personal tab > Owner Information.

* On the Identification tab, enter your personal information.

* Tap OK.

Quick Tip: If owner information is displayed on the Today screen, you can open and edit the information directly from the Today screen. Just tap that section of the screen.

Set up the device lock

You can help keep data more secure by requiring a password every time that the device is turned on.

* Tap Start > Settings > Personal tab > Lock.

If there is an existing device lock and you want to change it, enter the device lock password and then tap Unlock.

* Select the Prompt if device unused for check box, and in the box to the right side select how long your device must be unused before a password is required. If your administrator has set a minimum period of time, you can set a shorter time interval but not a longer one.

* In the Password type box, select the type of password you want to use. Enter the password and, if it is necessary, confirm the password.

o Simple PIN indicates a password and uses only the numbers 0 - 9.

o Strong alphanumeric indicates passwords that use uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols such as punctuation marks.

* On the Hint tab, enter a phrase that will help you remember your password, but that does not allow other people to guess your password.

The hint will be displayed after the wrong password is entered four times.

* Tap OK.

The next time that the device is turned on, you will be prompted to enter your password.

Quick Tips:

* If your device is configured to connect to a network, use a strong alphanumeric password to help protect network security.

* To make sure that you can always make emergency calls, do not begin your password with the digits of the local emergency services phone number.

* Every time that a wrong password is entered, the time that the device takes to respond will be longer and longer until the device appears not to be responding. Contact your service provider if you are locked out of your device.

Enable or disable a PIN for your SIM card

You can prevent other people from using your device by enabling a personal identification number (PIN) for its Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card.

If you enable a SIM PIN, you must enter the PIN every time that you turn on your device.

* Tap Start > Settings > Phone.

* Tap the Phone tab.

* Under Security, tap the Require PIN when phone is used check box.

* On the phone keypad, enter the PIN, and then tap Enter.

If this is the first time that you are entering a SIM PIN, enter the default PIN, which may be 1234. If this PIN does not work, you can obtain the PIN from the wireless service provider that sold the device.

The message “PIN enabled” appears on the screen, and the device returns to the Phone tab.

* Tap OK.

Quick Tip: To disable a PIN for your SIM card, repeat steps 1 to 5. After step 4, you will see the message “PIN disabled” on the screen.

Change the PIN for your SIM card

You can make it more difficult for unauthorized persons to make calls on your device by changing the SIM PIN regularly. Before you can change the SIM PIN, make sure that it is enabled.

* Tap Start > Settings > Phone.

* Tap the Phone tab.

* Under Security, tap Change PIN.

* On the phone keypad, enter the old SIM PIN, and then tap Enter.

* Enter the new SIM PIN, and then tap Enter.

* Enter the new SIM PIN again, and then tap Enter.

If this is the first time that you are setting a SIM PIN, a message will tell you that you must select the Require PIN when phone is used check box on the Phone tab before you can set the PIN. To return to the Phone tab, tap Cancel.

* Tap OK.

View system information

You may need to retrieve system information when troubleshooting your device or when you add or update software. You can view the following information:

1. Operating system

2. Version information

3. Copyright

4. Available storage and memory

5. Processor

6. ROM update versions

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > About. (Your device may use Device Information instead of About.)

* Tap any tab to view the information on that tab.

Turn on the key lock

When you are in a hurry, you can quickly set the key lock. Key lock prevents accidental input by pressing keys when you did not mean to (such as when the device is in a pocket), but does not require a password to unlock.

* On the Today screen, tap Device unlocked.

Quick Tip: To unlock the key lock, on the Today screen, tap Unlock. Tap Unlock again or press the * key.

Battery management

Correct maintenance and power management will maximize the life of the battery.

Make the battery last longer

You can do several things to make the battery in your device last longer:

* Adjust power-management settings to decrease screen brightness and also how long the backlight and screen displays stay on.

* Synchronize your device with your computer less frequently (for example, once every hour or two, instead of once every five minutes).

* Turn off Bluetooth (if available on your device).

Change power-management settings

You can use the Power screen to check the battery’s remaining power and to adjust settings that extend battery life. For example, setting brief backlight and display time outs will extend battery life.

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Power.

* Tap the Advanced tab.

* Select the check box for each condition where you want the device to turn off automatically. Then select the time interval.

Manage folders and programs

Understanding how to manage folders and programs will enable you to take advantage of the many capabilities of your device.

Explore files and folders

You can browse the contents of folders on your device. The highest-level folder is named My Device and resembles the My Computer folder on a computer. The My Device folder contains the My Documents, Program Files, Temp, and Windows folders, among others.

* Tap Start > Programs > File Explorer..

* Tap the folder list (labeled My Documents by default) and tap the folder that you want to explore.

To find the folder that you want, you may have to tap a folder from the folder list, or one listed in the main window.

Do any of the following:

o To open an item, tap it.

o To select multiple items, tap and drag.

o To cut, copy, rename, delete, beam, or send an item as an e-mail attachment quickly, tap and hold the item, and then tap a command.

Quick Tip: The contents of a folder can be sorted by name, date, size, or type by tapping the Sort By list. The default is to sort by name.

Create a new folder

You can create new folders in My Files to help organize the files on your device.

* Tap Start > Programs > File Explorer.

* Tap the folder in which you want to create the sub-folder.

If necessary, tap Up to view more folders.

* Tap Menu > New Folder.

* Enter a name for the folder, and then press ENTER. The new folder will be created.

Move files between folders

You can move files between folders to help organize your content. If necessary, you can create new folders in My Documents.

Tap Start > Programs > File Explorer.

Tap the folder that contains the file that you want to move.

If necessary, tap Up to view more folders.

* Scroll to the file.

* Tap Menu > Edit, and then tap Cut or Copy.

* Navigate to the folder to which you want to move the file, and tap it.

* Tap Menu > Edit > Paste. The file will be moved or copied.

* Tap Up to return to the folder list.

Locate downloaded files

There are many ways to download different types of files to your device. Where your device stores downloaded files depends on the type of file and the method used to download it. Here are some common download scenarios to help you locate downloaded files on your device.

ActiveSync and Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) - If you use the ActiveSync or WMDC programs to move a program or file manually from your computer to your device, you will determine the location of that program or file. Usually this will be in one of the folders in the My Device folder. Be aware that a downloaded program may be moved by the device after it is installed (see “Locating program downloads” in this topic).

Note: ActiveSync on your device works with WMDC on computers with Windows Vista, and with ActiveSync on computers with Windows XP.

* Locating media downloads - When You Download music, ring tones, or videos from a Web site, the files will be added automatically to the appropriate folder. For example, ring tones will be added to the My Ringtones folder.

* Locating program downloads - Program files behave differently than media files because they must be installed after they have been downloaded. When a program is installed, it will be stored by the device in an appropriate location. For example, a game will be installed in the Games folder.

Overview of adding a program to your device

You can add a program to your device by:

* navigating on your computer to the Web page that has the program and downloading it directly to your device through the USB cable; or

* downloading the program to your computer and then moving it to your device by using ActiveSync or WMDC; or

* navigating to the Web page on your device and then downloading the program.

Most Web pages will automatically install the program on your device if it is connected during the download. Your device will store the program in the appropriate location; for example, games will be added to the Games folder.

Note: ActiveSync on your device works with WMDC on computers with Windows Vista, and with ActiveSync on computers with Windows XP.

Quick Tip: Many Web sites indicate the type of mobile device a program can be used on. For your device, download programs compatible with Windows Mobile touch screen devices.

Add a program by using your PC and USB cable

* Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable.

* On your computer, navigate to the Web page that has the program that you want to download.

* Follow the download instructions on the Web page. When you are prompted by the Web page, select Run instead of Save.

* When your device notifies you that the installation is complete, tap OK.

*You may need to restart the device to complete the installation.

Add a program by using ActiveSync or WMDC

* Disconnect your device from your computer.

* On your computer, navigate to the Web page that has the program that you want to download.

* Follow the download instructions on the Web page. When you are prompted by the Web page, select Run instead of Save.

* After the program downloads to your computer, connect your device by using the USB cable.

* Do one of the following on your computer:

o If you are using ActiveSync, in the ActiveSync window, click Tools, and then click Explore Smartphone.

o If you are using WMDC, in the WMDC window, rest your mouse on File Management and then click Browse the contents of your device in the drop-down menu.

* Move the program from your computer to the Mobile Device window.

* On your device, tap Start > Programs > File Explorer.

* In the My Documents folder, tap the program.

* If your device asks you to restart to complete installation, tap OK.

Add a program by using your device browser

* On your device, navigate to the Web page that has the program that you want to download.

* Follow the download instructions on the Web page.

* If you are prompted, select the folder where you want to save the file.

* When your device notifies you that the installation is complete, click OK.

Remove a program from your device

If you have installed a program that you no longer use, or if you want to free device memory for other programs, you can remove a program from your device.

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Remove Programs.

* Scroll to the program that you want to remove.

* Tap Remove.

* Tap OK.

Find out how much memory is available

You can see how much memory is available on your device for running programs and storing information. If the available memory is low, it may be difficult or impossible to install new programs or to save files.

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Memory.

The ‘Main’ tab displays memory allocated to file and data storage compared with program storage. This tab also displays memory that is being used compared with the available memory.

How-to: Make the most of your Calendar

You can use your Windows Mobile device’s Calendar to schedule appointments, including meetings and other events. Your appointments for the day can be displayed on the Today screen. If you use Outlook on your computer, you can synchronize appointments between your device and your computer. You can also set the Calendar to remind you of appointments with a sound or a flashing light, for example.

You can view your appointments in several different views (Day, Week, Month, and Agenda). To see detailed appointment information in any view, tap the appointment.

Schedule an appointment

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Tap Menu > New Appointment.

* In the Subject field, enter a name for the appointment, and then enter information such as start and end times.

To schedule an all-day event, in the All Day field, tap Yes.

* When you are finished, tap OK to return to the calendar.

Note: All-day events do not occupy blocks of time in Calendar; instead, they appear in banners at the top of the calendar.

To cancel an appointment, scroll to the appointment, and then tap Menu > Delete Appointment.

Update an appointment

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Scroll to and tap the appointment.

* Tap Menu > Edit.

* Scroll to or tap the message area and enter your message.

* Scroll to the fields that you want to update and make your changes.

* Tap OK.

Delete an appointment

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Scroll to the appointment.

* Tap Menu > Delete Appointment.

* Tap Yes to confirm.

Respond to an Outlook meeting request

* Tap Start > Messaging > Outlook E-mail.

* Tap the meeting request and do one of the following:

o To accept the request and insert the meeting into your calendar, tap Accept.

o To decline the request, tap Menu > Decline.

o To tentatively accept the meeting request and insert a tentative meeting into your calendar, tap Menu > Tentative.

* The next time that you synchronize, your response will be sent to the meeting organizer and the meeting will be added to your computer’s Outlook calendar.

Add or remove a recurrence from an appointment

When you schedule an appointment on your device, you can set it to occur one time or many times:

1. Once a week on the same day

2. Same day of every month

3. Once a year

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Tap Menu > Edit. If the appointment already has a recurrence, tap All to update all occurrences of the appointment.

* Scroll to and tap the Occurs field, and then select an option.

* Tap OK.

Note: You cannot create an appointment on your device that occurs irregularly (that is, does not recur at the same time every week or month). If you create an irregularly occurring appointment on your computer and then sync with your device, the word Custom will appear in the Occurs field on the device. This cannot be altered on your device. If you want to change the recurrences of that appointment, edit the appointment on your computer and sync again to update the recurrences on your device.

Change the calendar view

You can view your calendar in several different layouts:

1. Today’s agenda

2. Appointments for the week

3. Agenda for a specific date

4. Appointments for the month

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Do one of the following:

o Tap Menu > View, and then tap Agenda, Day, Week, Month, or Year.

o Tap Menu, and then tap Go to Today or Go to Date.

Note: Go to Today and Go to Date are not available in the Month or Year views.

Change the sensitivity of an appointment

You can define appointments in your calendar as confidential, personal, private, or normal.

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Tap Menu > Edit.

* Scroll down to the Sensitivity field, and then scroll down to select an option.

* Tap OK.

Change the status of an appointment

You can change the status of your appointments to:

1. Busy

2. Free

3. Tentative

4. Out of Office

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Tap Menu > Edit.

* Scroll to and tap the Status field and then select an option.

* Tap OK.

Set a reminder time for an appointment

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Tap Menu > Edit.

* Scroll down to the Reminder field and then select the desired reminder time.

* Tap OK.

Set a reminder for a recurring appointment

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* When you are prompted, do one of the following:

o Tap All to edit all recurrences of this appointment.

o Tap One to edit only one instance of this appointment.

* Scroll down to the Reminder field and then select the desired reminder time.

* Tap OK.

Add a note to an appointment

You can add notes to an appointment as you would in Outlook on your computer.

* Tap Start > Calendar.

* Tap Menu > Edit.

* Tap the Notes tab and enter the text.

* Tap OK.

* If you receive the message “Inform attendees about meeting changes?”, tap Yes or No, as you want.

Tasks

This section shows you how to manage the tasks and notes you create on your device, and how to use the built-in calculator.

Create a task

* Tap Start > Programs > Tasks.

* Tap Menu > New Task.

* Enter a subject for the task, and fill in information such as start and due dates.

* Tap OK.

Mark a task as complete or incomplete

Checking the box next to a task marks it as complete. If you decide to reopen the task, clear its check box.

* Scroll to the task you want to mark, and then tap Complete or Activate.

Delete a task

* Scroll to the task you want to delete.

* Tap Menu > Delete Task.

* Tap Yes to confirm.

Use the calculator

* Tap Start > Programs > Calculator.

* Enter numbers using the keypad.

* To select a function, tap:

o + (add)

o - (subtract)

o x (multiply)

o ÷ (divide)

o . (decimal point)

* Tap = (equals) to perform the calculation.

* Tap C to clear the screen and start a new calculation.

Alarms

This section shows you how to set and manage alarms on your device.

* Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Clock & Alarms.

* Tap the Alarms tab.

* Tap and enter a name for the alarm.

* Tap the day of the week for the alarm. You can select multiple days by tapping each desired day. To clear a selection, tap it again.

* Tap the time to open a clock and set the time for the alarm.

o To enter the time from the clock, drag the hour and minute hands.

o To enter the time from the box, tap hour or minutes. Then either tap the up and down arrows, or use the text input panel to enter a number.

o Tap AM or PM.

* Tap OK.

Quick Tip: To remove an alarm, clear the check box for that alarm.

Set the alarm tone

* Tap Start > Settings > Personal tab > Sounds & Notifications.

* Tap the Notifications tab.

* In the Event field, tap the down arrow and select Reminders.

* Select the Play sound check box.

* In the Play sound field, tap the down arrow and select the tone you want.

* To hear a selected tone, tap the arrow under the Play sound field.

* Tap OK.

Turn off a sounding alarm

* Tap Dismiss.

Voice notes

* Your device enables you to record voice notes. This section shows you how to create and delete voice notes, and how to set a voice note as a ring tone.

Record a voice note

* Voice notes provide a quick way to keep a list of tasks or other items. Instead of typing a list or item, you can record an audio reminder. When you record a voice note, it will be given a default name that you can change later.

You can create a stand-alone recording or you can add a recording to a note.

* Tap Start > Programs > Notes.

* To record a voice note in a note, scroll to and tap the note.

* If you do not see the Recording toolbar, tap Menu > View Recording Toolbar.

* Tap the record icon to begin recording.

* Hold your device’s microphone near your mouth or another sound source.

* Tap the stop icon when you finish recording.

* Tap OK to return to the notes list.

* If you record a voice note in an open note, a voice note icon will appear in the note.

* If you record a stand-alone voice note—one that is not embedded in a note—a voice note icon will appear in the note list.

Note:To play a recording, tap the record icon in the open note or tap the recording in the note list.

Quick Tip: To create a recording quickly, press the RECORD button. When you hear the beep, begin your recording. Release the button when you are finished.

Rename a voice note

* Scroll to the voice note you want to rename.

* Tap Menu > Rename/Move.

* In the Name field, enter a new name for the voice note.

* Tap OK.

Play back a voice note

* Scroll to the voice note you want to hear.

* Tap the record icon in the open note or tap the recording in the note list.

Set a voice note as a ring tone

* Scroll to the voice note you want to set as a ring tone.

* Tap Menu > Rename/Move.

* In the Folder field, tap the down arrow and then tap My Ringtones.

* Tap OK.

Delete a voice note

* Scroll to the voice note you want to delete.

* Tap Menu > Delete.

* Tap Yes to confirm.