Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
me_saket

Cdma Operators Has Edge Over Gsm

The Nielsen Consumer Experience Mobile Test program, which measures wireless network performance of all national and select regional carriers, has successfully completed testing 39 markets for the Phase I of its program (2008-2009).The Nielsen survey studied differences in Data Network performance between CDMA and GSM technologies.

It was observed that CDMA technology has a distinct edge over GSM across all of the top six Data Network performance metrics. CDMA Operator network ranks #1 in HTTP Download Data Rate performance in 7 out of 8 metros tested.

The second phase of Nielsen Consumer Experience Mobile Test program is scheduled to commence soon and will include an expanded scope of markets and features.

Nielsen has also completed the test of the data networks in the top 8 metros in India, which reveals an even starker picture of Data network performance in the country. The variation in performance of Data network performance between the market leader and the market average in the Tier I markets creates a bigger and better opportunity for differentiation, especially given the upcoming roll out of 3G networks and the big effort from operators to increase revenues from VAS.

When the top 8 metros were assessed for average performance against the six most important data network performance metrics, it was observed that Ahmedabad had some of the best average performance rates.

Average performance Metric

Best

Worst

Average Connect Success Rate

Ahmedabad

Mumbai

Average Data Rate

Ahmedabad

Bengaluru

Table 1: Best and worst average performing metros for 6 most important data network performance metrics

* Metrics related to HTTP/Upload as applicable

Though CDMA technology has an edge over GSM in both Voice and Data network performance in India, only about 62 percent of new acquisitions (acquired in the last 6 months) among CDMA players are likely to consider their existing service provider as their next choice. More importantly a third of them (33%) are likely to consider a GSM brand as their first choice as according to the respondents it delivers better on both network and price.

This trend in perception between GSM and CDMA operators will have an implication on driving customer acquisition, retention and usage initiatives like VAS and 3G which will be used as a means of differentiation. Mobile Number Portability (MNP) will further catalyze this impending market sentiment. The CDMA operators should leverage their inherent network advantage to drive consumer perception of their network said Panchapakesan

^^^

No doubt at all about this.... Data was always the best in CDMA and will remain also in future... Correct me if wrong.... Its just that its a very closed technology with the operators also taking the users for a good ride....

I wonder many times, why RCOM and TCOM are not using this data USP to sell their technology.... See how AIrcel is advertising their ordinary GPRS services when in fact on RCOM/TCOM, the very same services can be provided at rocking speeds... Techies amy please answer this in detail if possible... Surely there seems to be something much much more than what meets the eye, here

yes I second it.both the cdma operators in india haven't so far used the full potential of their networks.they can give their 1x network with far better speed at lower prices which could draw more customers to them.but ironically their policies so far have been the opposite and not at all customer friendly.

they should realise this.the sooner the better.

I belive that even qualcomm must be taking big chunk of flesh earned by operators due to efficiencies of CDMA.

.both the cdma operators in india haven't so far used the full potential of their networks.they can give their 1x network with far better speed at lower prices which could draw more customers to them.but ironically their policies so far have been the opposite and not at all customer friendly.

they should realise this.the sooner the better.

rcom had alreay used it's full potetial of cdma data network during mansoon hungama. At that time RWORLD was free.

and people were use to see cricket/news videos, play games, and it draws many customer to rcom, so it stand at 76million today.

BUT don't know ehat happen to thir polocies after ANIL takes cahrge ofRCOM?????

Also tata zone was free untill last month, but lack of advetising and marketing keeps way from TATA;s data network.

Hopr thy will gear up soon, as 3G is coming closer

Whatever happening to CDMA today is cause of cartel of GSM biggies...

and NOKIA is biggest manufacturers of GSM handsets had to listen to them and step out of CDMA handset business.....

GSM guys knew this CDMA can prove better technology in future... and they were sitting on big future expansion plan (with already spent million on R&D)on GSM technology....

They found the solution... Kill it.... They are killing (infact almost killed) CDMA technology just by showing lack of handsets.....

and service providers were forced to convert to GSM by huge discounts Nokia Siemens networks solutions for conversion from cdma to gsm...

Telstra in Australia, China Uni in china, RIM and TATA in india... all were fools.... now once u on GSM u cant look back for development and expansion of CDMA anymore... thats it.... DATA or no CDMA is far better technology than any technology for Voice and Data exist till now...

Remember Qualcomm vs Nokia case... there came new company called Broadcom and won the case from Qualcomm and this broadcomm was GSM allies, Forcing qualcomm to concentrate on GSM instead of CDMA... Imagine world without Sprint and verizon on CDMA.. as they also planning to shift to GSM in 2010-11... CDMA will R.I.P

This type of technology wars every common. But qualcomm and verizon kept technology without any openness right from beginning. This weakness identified by gsm and they encashed their strength of open standards.

Mobile handset manufacturer too had more incentive to make better handsets for gsm as they could make handset cheaper due to minimum royalties, yet could fetch better prices in market.

As per my belief cdma is dying or dead because of initial mistakes qualcomm made. Else using cdma is experience.