Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Honest

Gmail Gets Advanced Sign-In Security Upgrade

114453_matter.jpg

Gmail gets Advanced Sign-in Security Upgrade

Gmail gets a bank account like security feature

Last year, Google made Gmail access via HTTPS protocol default for all account holders to add a security layer. Now, Google has introduced another security layer upgrade with an advanced opt-in feature dubbed 2-Step Verification. This 2-Step Verification feature requires using a specific code to sign in to the Gmail account. Google either calls you (only if you are in U.S., I suppose) to give that code or sends the code via SMS or generates it via a mobile app for Android, BlackBerry or iPhone device. Gmail finally gets a bank account like security feature for sign-in.

114453_accountsettingspage.jpg

Gmail's 2-Step Verification advanced sign-in feature is optional and would be visible to all Google account holders at Manage Account page soon. This new security feature makes your Google account more secure and most importantly Gmail out of all Google services.

114453_step1.jpg

The 2-Step Verification stands for its name since it requires two major credentials: your Google account password and a six digit pass code obtained using phone. This requires the user to set up the opt-in 2-Step Verification feature from the Manage Account page. During the set-up process, you'll be required to enter your phone number and also create certain backup pass codes just in case you lose your phone or it gets stolen. After completing the 2-Step Verification setup, you ll land on to an additional page once you log into your Google account using your login ID and password.

114453_step2.jpg

To prevent third-party sign-in or someone sneaking into your account, make the best of 2-Step Verification. Yes, it does involve an additional extra step but it certainly secures your account. Google had been testing this feature with Google apps users and it would be available to all Google account holders over a period of time.

Interestingly, this feature is in tune with the Facebook's new security features implementation.

Thanks to Samir Makwana

Courtesy : Techtree

awesome!! Google keeps on innovating. I am so dependent on Gmail that any add on security is Welcome. I would even pay for this kind of feature.

Amazing updates from google

Go google

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Time to quote Steve Jobs, Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.

Still not rolled out for my account :( .Is is USA only for now?