Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
piyushj

Should I take Airtel to consumer court?

Hi friends,

I am being charged more for calls despite a recharge of 58 to have 1/2 paisa/sec calls.

Airtel,Karnataka

I have contacted serveral times Aritel Customer care but they are

unable to find the reason why my plan keeps changing automatically.

They told me the plan associated with my number, keeps changing

automatically for reason they don't know.

I have contacted customer care, their supervisor, nodal officer,etc. It's already over 1 week !!

Since they took 58 but are not complying with what they promised, what should I do?

Should I take them to consumer court?

1. Give a complaint to 121@in.airtel.com, that way you will get a written response of what is going on with your number.

2. Forward the same response that you got from 121@in.airtel.com to their appellate authority.

Have them return the extra charged amount for all the calls post stv recharge.

Give them atleast 15 working days to work on your query.

I hope you are having the confirmation sms proving that you had recharged the STV.

If they don't do anything post a complaint on www.pgportal.gov.in and www.core.nic.in

These processes will yield better and faster results than giving a complaint @ the consumer forum.

---

Just to threaten them

Generate a Unique porting code by sending PORT <space> Mobile number to 1900.

That way their will call you to know your problem and to offer you some freebies so that you stay back. Doing this is usually more effective than the normal process of raising service requests.

Edited by sujit_k
  • Like 1

Somethings you should read:

When can I approach a consumer court?

You can approach the consumer guidance society and consumer court if the goods you have purchased have any defect in quality quantity, purity or standard. You may also do so if the service you have paid for has any fault, shortcoming or inadequacy. in the quality, nature and manner of performance. The list of services is long, including the nature of transport, telephones, electricity construction, banking, insurance, medical treatment, etc. By and large, services of Professionals such as doctors, engineers, architects, lawyers, etc come under the purview of consumer courts.

Who can approach the consumer courts?

· The consumer or his authorized agent

· Any voluntary consumer association

· The government (central or state)

· A group of consumers, when there are numerous consumers having the same complaint

. A consumer is defined as the person who buys or agrees to buy any goods or service for a consideration.

What happens if I have bought the goods on installments?

Even if you have partly paid for an item or service or under any method of deferred payment you can file a complaint if it is defective or deficient.

Can I file a complaint in case the good is purchased for a commercial purpose?

No. If the purchase of goods (or service) is for commercial or resale purpose, you cannot file a complaint in the consumer courts. You have to approach the civil court. There is an exception though. If you are a self-employed person and the product (or service) is exclusively for the purpose of earning your livelihood, you may approach the consumer court.

Where do I file a complaint?

The Consumer Protection Act, 1986, has created three-tier quasi-judicial machinery. In case of disputes you can approach consumer courts at the national, state or district levels. About 571 (of which are 539 are functional, 32 are non-functional) consumer forums have been established across the country at the district level, 35 at the state level, and one at the apex national level.

If the cost of goods or services and compensation you seek is:

· up to Rs.20 lakh (earlier 5 lakh) you can approach the District Forum

· above Rs.20 lakh up to Rs. one crore you can approach the State Commission

· above Rs.one crore, you can file the complaint before the National Commission in New Delhi. (A comprehensive amendment was passed effective from l5th March, 2003 revising the earlier slabs).

Complaint can be filed at the district forum where the cause of action has arisen or where the branch office of the opposite party is located.

Do I pay any fee to the consumer courts while filing a complaint?

. Rejoice. There is no fee for filing a complaint either before the District Forum, or the State Commission or the National Commission

Is there a time limit to filing a complaint?

Yes. The complaint is to be filed within two years from the date on which cause of action has arisen unless it can be proved that there was a good enough reason for filing a complaint after the lapse of two years

What is the procedure to file a complaint?

You can either personally file the complaint at the appropriate Forum / Commission. The complaint can also be sent through registered post, courier, fax and speed post,

Your complaint should contain the following information:

- Your name, description and the address

- The name, description and address of the opposite party/parties,

- The facts relating to complaint and when and where it arose;

- Documents, if any , in support of the allegations contained in the complaint. (Copy of the invoice, receipt, warrenty card, correspondence/complaints made in writing).

8. What is the procedure to file a complaint?

You can either personally file the complaint at the appropriate Forum / Commission. The complaint can also be sent through registered post, courier, fax and speed post,

Your complaint should contain the following information:

- Your name, description and the address

- The name, description and address of the opposite party/parties,

- The facts relating to complaint and when and where it arose;

- Documents, if any , in support of the allegations contained in the complaint. (Copy of the invoice, receipt, warrenty card, correspondence/complaints made in writing).

Don't get taken for a ride by any retailer, manufacturer or service provider. Get to know the procedures involved in grievance redressal. Manisha Parikh Srivastava offers a

comprehensive guide

· The relief (compensation) that you are seeking.

There should be 4 copies of the complaint on plain paper plus a copy each.for the opposite party A stamp paper is not required but you must sign the complaint papers.

Try and first talk to the retailer manufacturer or service provider and check if your problem can be solved before approaching any consumer guidance society or forum.

What is the kind of relief available to me?

Depending on the nature of relief you seek and the facts, the consumer courts may give orders for one or more of the following relief:

(a) removal of defects from the goods

( replacement of the goods

© refund of the price paid (d) award of compensation for the loss or injury suffered

(e) removal of defects or deficiencies in the services (f) discontinuance of unfair trade practices or restrictive trade practices or direction not to repeat them

(g) withdrawal of hazardous goods from being sold

(h) award for parties based on costs

If I am not satisfied with the order or relief can I appeal?

Yes Appeal against the decision of the District Forum can be filed before the State Commission within 30 days Appeal against the decision of a State Commission can be filed before the National Commission within 30 days. Appeal against the orders of the National Commission can be filed before the Supreme Court within a period of 30 days. Procedure for filing the appeal is the same as that of complaint, except the application should be accompanied by the orders of the District or State Commission. Also, the reasons for filing the appeal should be specified.

List of useful addresses for this purpose?

· The Complaints Committee, Consumer Guidance Society of India Block J,

Mahapalika Marg Opp.

Cama Hospital Mumbai 400 001.

Tel.: 2262 1612 Fax: 2265 9715

Email: cgsibom@bom4.vsnl.net.in

· Council for Fair Business Practices

Great Western Building 130/132 Shaheed Bhagatsingh Road Opp. Lion Gate,

Mumbai 400 039.

Tel.: 2284 4783

· Mumbai Grahak Panchayat Grahak Bhavan,

Sant Dnyaneshwar Marg Juhu Vile Parle, J.V.P.D Scheme

near Cooper Hospital

Mumbai 400 056.

Tel.: 2620 9319/2623 8124

· South & Central Mumbai Dist. Consumer Dispute Forum

Arun Chember, 6th Floor,

Tardeo, Mumbai Central (W),

Mumbai - 400 007.

· Mumbai Sub. Dist. Forum Administrative Bldg.

3rd Floor, Bandra Govt. Colony,

Near C.B.D. Bandra (E),

Mumbai - 400 051.

. Consumer Education & Research Centre

'Suraksha Sankool', Thaltej,

Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway,

Ahmedabad-380 054 (INDIA)

Phone: 7489945-46, 7450528, 7451097 FAX: 079 -7489947

http://www.cercindia.org

· Maharashtra State Commission, Old Administrative Staff College,

Opp. V.T. Station, Hazarimal Somani Marg, Mumbai - 400 001.

· National Consumer Disputes Rederssal Commission

http://ncdrc.nic.in

· Ministry of Consumer Affairs, food & Public Distribution (Government of India)

http://www.fcamin.nic.in

Source :

• Like 3

If I remember it correctly, there was a Supreme/High Court ruling that telephone complaints cannot be escalated to consumer courts....

Do google it up..