Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Himanshu Singh

Four Telcos To Get Spectrum By Dec

Even as new telecom aspirants eagerly await the release of spectrum by the defence forces (20-25 MHz), the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) is close to awarding spectrum to existing mobile operators — Bharti Airtel, Idea Cellular, Vodafone Essar and Aircel — by the end of the year.

These players had applied for spectrum earlier from August 2006 to April 2007, which are being considered as priority dates, and will now get the additional spectrum from unutilised frequencies, available in the 1800 MHz band.

The DoT will provide the additional spectrum just as it did when it recently allocated 10 MHz additional pan-India spectrum to state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam (BSNL) and 4.4 MHz to Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL).

The allocation is being based on a finding by Wireless Planning and Co-ordination cell (WPC) and Telecom Engineering Centre (TEC), which revealed that a certain amount of spectrum was “lying unutilised” with the government. DoT sources say the WPC has proposed to earmark 0.8 MHz for Bharti Airtel, taking its cumulative total to 10 MHz. Moreover, it is doling out initial allocations of 4.4 MHz of spectrum to Idea Cellular and Aircel in the Mumbai circle.

However, Vodafone-Essar — which already has 10 MHz spectrum in Mumbai — will not be allocated further spectrum. Likewise, Idea Cellular, which currently has 8 MHz of spectrum, will get an additional 2 MHz, and Aircel 4.4 MHz in the Delhi circle. Airtel and Vodafone-Essar (which have 10 MHz each) will not be allocated further spectrum. A similar allocation is also planned for the rest of the country, the source said, but did not provide circle-wise details. When contacted, a DoT official confirmed that the spectrum would be provided under the “same terms and conditions” of BSNL and MTNL.

He added that the allocation was on a “trial basis”. The allocation, he noted, will be under the private GSM players’ existing service licence agreements.

My take:

I think Delhi desperately needs one more private GSM operator and Aircel could roll out services soon if it is allotted spectrum by Dec.

However, Vodafone-Essar — which already has 10 MHz spectrum in Mumbai — will not be allocated further spectrum.

My dear friends, No more spectrum for Vodafone mumbai circle. Its not a good news at all. Their network sometimes been already congusted. And this problem will rise in the future. Call drops in between due to week signals are already a problem with Vodafone.

Don't know why government could not increase spectrum for Vodafone in Mumbai.

Regards.

Don't know why government could not increase spectrum for Vodafone in Mumbai.

cos no telco can get more than 10MHz of spectrum in one circle.

Because as as per New Spectrum Allocation Policy DOT says Vodafone already have enogh Spectrum in Mumbai as per the Subscriber base they have. Vodafone should have more Efficient Technology to utilise its Spectrum or they should push more tower with Short Distance for reusing the spectrum in smaller groups of Users. I know reallocation and realign Tower in Highly Congested Area is more difficult but Vodafone must have to carry out the operation to use Spectrum efficeinly by pushing more cell site. this way the sire we also become 3G Compatible as 3G uses short distance Frequency of 2.1 and by doing so their dependancy on goverment policies will also reduced.

Lets hope for the good. But for mumbai circle Vodafone will do whatever they can. As its Prime Most Operator in Mumbai.

Lets hope for the good. But for mumbai circle Vodafone will do whatever they can. As its Prime Most Operator in Mumbai.

@hetaldp

My dear friend you are correct Vodafone must put some more cell sites in Mumbai. I 'm eagerly waiting for Vodafone to do its best for Mumbai. As of now their is very big network problems in certain areas with Vodafone in Mumbai.

Regards.