Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
raccoon

Save The Olive Ridley Turtles From Tata's Ominious Designs...

I was really shocked to learn that the Tatas are poised to obliterate the Olive Ridley turtles! :angry: Please read about it below... and please sign the online petition to register your disapproval...

I feel like boycotting all Tata products... how can they even consider this...??? :angry::mad44:

http://www.greenpeace.org/india/turtles/why-save-turtles

©Bivash Pandav Consider this… Olive Ridley turtles rely on an inexplicable, in-built navigation system that guides them, when it’s time for them to reproduce, back to the precise coast on which they were born.

Now consider something else… The proposed Tata port at Dhamra threatens a nesting site that is amongst the last honeymoon suites for the remaining Olive Ridleys, a highly-endangered species that swims all the way here from places as far away as Australia and the Philippines.

When you consider these two facts together, it seems only logical that Tata would reconsider its decision to build the port at Dhamra, and build it in an area that’s less ecologically sensitive. It seems especially logical when it’s Tata we’re talking about.

After all, Tata has grown from a national giant into an international player, while constantly stating its commitment to the principles of social upliftment, environmental justice and sustainable development. The Tata brand is ubiquitous, present in hundreds of products that have genuinely improved the lives of generations of Indians; from the Tata salt that flavours our daily bread, the Tata BP solar geyser that warms our winter baths, the Tata Telecom that manages our communications, to the Tata cars that ‘drive a billion dreams.’

©Bivash Pandav And yet, in Orissa, we’re witnessing a different side to the same Tata. A Tata that shuts its ears to reason. A Tata that looks the other way when confronted with evidence. A Tata that cares nothing for the community, and even less for nature.

The port Tata is proposing to build in Dhamra will directly affect the Olive Ridley turtles. With 150,000 to 350,000 Olive Ridley turtles nesting in the vicinity, the average number of hatchlings is believed to range from 15 million to 35 million.

When confronted by Greenpeace Tata promised concerned citizens that it would abandon the port ‘if evidence of turtle presence and the ecological significance of the area were ever unearthed.’

©Pratyush Mohapatra/Greenpeace The evidence was submitted , but this promise wasn’t kept. The perfunctory EIA carried out in this area isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Another nesting season has passed us by, with turtle mortality from mechanized fishing agonizingly high. Coming in addition to this annual death toll, the Tata port could be the final nail in the turtle’s coffin, ensuring that this area is never safe for turtles again.

Will this willful destruction be the legacy that Tata leaves behind in Orissa?

Not if you can help it. To write directly to Ratan Tata and ask him to change his mind, simply sign the letter on the right.

Also see this...

^^^

The news is really shocking my dear Raccoon. How can they do like this. Its no good of them at all.

Regards.

Yes... this is really, really disgusting... coming from the Tatas. All their statements about social and ecological responsibilities, etc, are just lip service!

Plese do enter your your name and email id and send in your protest using the link above dudes. And consider not buying Tata products... as they aren't listening... Its bad enough that they think about such a thing in the 1st place... and to top it, they arent even listening to their customers...

Please help save our beautiful, flippered brothers...

wp2800x600dy3.jpg

^^^

I already signed my protest at the website link you had given my dear Raccoon.

Actually Tata's are spoiling their name by such kind of activities.

Regards.

Thanks.... :)

I hope at least a few others have done the same...