Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Karthik R

Guide To Choose Your Smartphone

Smart phones offer the functions of a mobile phone and a PDA in one device, but they are not for everyone. Here's what you need to know before buying one.

From a business perspective, Blackberrys have dominated the corporate world for the past decade. However, the tides are slowing changing due to the release of Apple’s iPhone and of course Google’s Android operating system, which being used by many mobile-device manufacturers. As a consumer and a business user, one must be thankful that we have the power of choice. It was not too long ago when Nokia and Motorola devices ruled the marketplace and smartphones weren’t really that “smart”.

Mobile Operating Systems

Like a computer operating system, a mobile operating system is the software platform on top of which other programs run. When you purchase a mobile device, the manufacturer will have chosen the operating system for that specific device. The operating system is responsible for determining the functions and features available on your device, such as synchronization, e-mail, text messaging and more. The mobile operating system will also determine which third-party applications can be used on your device. Some of the more common and well-known Mobile operating systems are listed below:

android-48-2.png

Android

Pros : Open source, lots of apps, clean and interactive UI, ActiveSync, Skinnable OS

Cons : battery life maybe an issue [?]

Major handset brands : HTC, Samsung

3rd Party Application Store : Android Market

Current Version : 2.3

windows-mobile-icon.jpg

Windows Mobile

Pros: Mobile versions of Microsoft Office apps, seamless integration with Outlook, wide range of brands to choose from.

Cons: more complicated than other OSes, not the best multi-tasking capability, no capacitive touchscreen support.

Major handset brands: HTC, O2, HP.

3rd Party Application Store : Windows Marketplace for Mobile

Current Version : Windows Phone 7

blackberry-os.jpg

BlackBerry OS

Pros : encrypted and secure messaging services, renowned QWERTY keypads, strong battery life.

Cons : comparatively BB applications are more expensive,

Major handset brands: Proprietary of RIM

3rd Party Application Store : App World

Current Version : 6.0.0

apple.png

iOS

Pros : best web browsing experience, excellent UI, ActiveSync

Cons : No CDMA version, iTunes may be cumbersome, have issues with Adobe Flash, phones are rather fragile.

Major handset brands: Proprietary of Apple

3rd Party Application Store : App Store

Current Version : 4.2.1

palm.jpg

webOS

Pros: Easy to use, large pool of third-party applications, remarkable multi-tasking capability.

Cons: limited choice of devices

Major handset brand: Palm

3rd Party Application Store : App Catalog

Current Version 1.4.5

symbian-95-veloce-roaming-wifi-consumi-ridotti_tiny.jpg

Symbian

Pros: Lots of available devices, works well with Bluetooth and IrDA, tight mobile Java integration.

Cons: No uniform interface across different devices, kind of obsolete.

Major handset brands: Nokia, Sony Ericcson.

3rd Party Application Store : Ovi store

Current Version : 9.5

While the iPhone has more than 350,000 apps available and has the most popular and iconic App Store, Android phones offer more than 100,000 apps to choose from and are quickly making up ground. BlackBerry’s App World offers a comparatively meager 15,000 titles, although owners still have access to the basics like Facebook, Pandora and The Weather Channel. The jury is still out on the few thousand apps already available for Windows Phone 7 while nobody today will buy a WebOS device purely for its app availability.

Features to talk about

<will be added shortly>

Wherever possible, spend hands-on time with the smartphone you like best. Make sure that it is comfortable to hold, has good sound clarity, and can easily send e-mails and photos and navigate the internet. If the phone is too complicated for you to use, you will be frustrated and wont use all the features. The device will be a waste of money.

That is why it assumes importance to choose the phone that suits your needs - here the most popular model need not necessarily be the best choice for you.

Sourced parts of the info from the www and all due recognition to them

All the info mentioned above are collected and verified after extensive cross-checking, in case some mistakes have crept in, please post the same and the topic will be modified accordingly :)

Edit : Will be adding more info and tips shortly, feel free to post suggestions

Edited by Karthik R
  • Like 6

Dear Karthik, +1 to you for the informative thread. :)

windows-mobile-icon.jpg

Windows Mobile

Pros: Mobile versions of Microsoft Office apps, seamless integration with Outlook, wide range of brands to choose from.

Cons: more complicated than other OSes, not the best multi-tasking capability, no capacitive touchscreen support.

Major handset brands: HTC, O2, HP.

3rd Party Application Store : Windows Marketplace for Mobile

Current Version : 6.5.3

Good info dear Karthik, just a small correction, current version should be Windows 7, if I am not wrong.

Regards

current version should be Windows 7, if I am not wrong.

Can you confirm the same? :) I was under the impression that Windows phone 7 is a entirely new OS platform!

Can't confirm, I don't find any definition to distinguish the same. I think we can say Windows Phone 7 a successor to Windows Mobile 6.5.3, if not the next version of Windows Mobile.

I correct my self, at least Windows Phone 7 is not the next version of Windows Mobile 6.1/6.5 series, its something different. Just check this detailed article here.

Seniors may throw some light on this topic?

Is OS the main criteria in choosing a smartphone or other factors also do matter?

I think this is just copied from some website, as some minor corrections are there

1) Android :-

i) ActiveSync is windows mobile utility, for android every company have their own sync client for pc

ii) Battery life is not an issue with samsung android device

2) Win mo

i) current version is 7, even it is completely new OS it is called Win 7, so current version should be called as 7

ii) Win mo is simplest OS as its almost same as any PC win os.

iii) Active Sync is main sync client for pc

3) Iphone

i) Again ActiveSync is not the property of Apple, they use iTune only.

4) Palm WebOS

i) who said no 3g support ?

Is OS the main criteria in choosing a smartphone or other factors also do matter?

OS is one of the option to check from

Edited by ::Hitesh::
  • Like 1

Karhik u can update follwing mentioned by Hitesbhai on ur post

Active Sync is main sync client for pc

^ that is why it is an essential perquisite ^

ActiveSync is windows mobile utility, for android every company have their own sync client for pc

Battery life is not an issue with android device

can we please have a consensus on that? :)

current version is 7, even it is completely new OS it is called Win 7, so current version should be called as 7

Thanks for the update :) Modified.

who said no 3g support ?

The earlier versions didnt have it! Ok ok :) modified.

OS is one the core criteria, the others being the screen, display and make, memory, processor, cam, and last but not the least sufficient battery life. Even the mobile operator you are latched on to assumes importance here :)

• Like 1