Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
p.shethia01

Doubt About 3G

i am confused as to whether 3g is only about INTERNET?

i am from mumbai where 3g spectrum has been won by reliance,airtel and vodafone.

as i am not going to use internet from phone will 3g sim card be of any use to me?

does 3g provide a better call quality(as to voice clarity and network coverage?

and What if i use any other operator which has not won 3g spectrum in my circle?

Please help and clear my doubts

Thanks

3G isn't only about browsing internet on your mobile and/or PC. Services like video calls (using which you can see each other and talk), mobile TV (where you can watch TV programs including Live programming) etc. will work over 3G data. The scope of these services will vary depending upon the applications available as anything is possible. Yes, you need a high end smart phone to utilize them. Voice calls won't have much difference in clarity but there could be lesser congestion as more spectrum is available for the operator.

• Like 1

In case of UMTS networks, voice quality will be better. This is primarily due to the use of AMR-WB codec which allows for better voice quality in case of environments with background interference as well as conferencing related applications. The bitrates for AMR-WB can be as high as 23.85kbits/s as opposed AMR-NB which has a maximum bitrate of 12.65kbits/s.

so in clear term, WCDMA same as CDMA, there is only frequency difference between them

and please clear one thing also, Docomo said during their press release , Voice will be HD voice over HSPA network , how much it different from normal UMTS codec

The difference mainly will be in speed of data transmission. Pls correct me if I am wrong.