Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
city02

SD Card Incompatibility With Canon?

I wanted to upgrade my wife's 2 gb SD card bought from Croma to a 4 gb and ran into a strange problem for the first time.

This digicam is about 5 years old and i'll update the model number when i get home.

i got a sandisk 4gb card first and it gave a 'card error' so upon closer inspection i saw that it was actually a SDHC card instead.

i assumed this must be a new format that does not work on older digicams.

now you can't return or exchange anything from croma unless its in 'saleable condition' which means once the packaging is opened, it over.

fortunately for me the manager had not yet arrived and the supervisor got a 'card locked' message on a digicam.

when his assistant tried another digicam, they got a 'unwriteable' message which is essentially the same thing.

since they did not realise there is a lock tab on the side of the card, i kept quiet and they finally allowed me to exchange it for a 4 gb croma branded sd card.

i was so happy with this consession, i forgot the old 2 gb card at the store [when i opened the cam at home the slot was empty]

despite going back to search for it a few hours later we could not locate the old one that worked.

NOTriste.gif

even the 2nd SD croma card did not work so i'm wondering if there is a size / space limit on older cams.

has anyone else had this issue with 4gb SD cards before?

needless to say my wife was upset that i lost the family photos on the old card which was much more important than the actual cost of the 2 gb [about rs. 400]

Decepcionado.gif

Oh no! losing photos is indeed very sad. I hope you get your photos back. The older cameras support max 2GB cards, and perhaps can take photos but do errors in storing them in higher capacity cards. If 2gb SD cards are costly, you can always buy microsd and use them with adapter in the SD card slot.

A fat 32 type of format will not support 4GB. Another thing which is never mentioned is the speed of the card. This may range from 1(slowest) to 6 (fastest).

so i think my question would be how do we know if our digicam supports anything over 2 gb before we open the packaging?

Decepcionado.gif

The digicam must have that specified, if you give the ID I can search. Plus note some manufacturers have proprietary cards like Fuji and Sony, but Canon should work with SD.