Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

Installing Devanagri On Android

I have an Incredible 2 on Froyo duly rooted. I want to add Devanagri support to this. I found one link http://chetangole.com/blog/2011/08/enabling-installing-hindi-marathi-unicode-fonts-on-android-mobile/ to this. However, installing ES File Explorer and enabling it with root explorer and mount file system, I am unable to find the ttf's given. I managed to download them onto my laptop. Now, I guess I have to copy them on to the /system/font directory. Except I am unable to locate this directory.

Any guidance will be most welcome.

Sir, this method had been tried and discussed earlier also. I again tried this from the fonts link given in your post. Hindi fonts appear but not perfectly. Specially the halfs and small 'E' matra.

If u wanna try, use root explorer for searching and replacing files instead of ES file explorer. Just enable show hidden file option amd use search button to find any file.

Edited by tarun_kabra

It worked for me when I tried with root explorer although there'll be rendering problem as told above.

I suggest you also try this.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

As for the rendering problem I am not too surprised. Unfortunately, there and multiple fonts for Devanagri all following their own norms and may not be necessarily unicode. Even on MS Windows I have run into an interesting bug - My surname 'Ga with Small U matra', 'Half Pa', 'Ta with Aa matra' appears fine at smaller font sizes. Increase the font size and it changes to exchanging the Pa and the Ta! Very interesting and initially disturbing!.

So effectively I should manually copy the fonts into the correct directory and then do the job. I guess this is the hidden message. Thanks folks.

if you need to use hindi fonts for surfing then use opera mini.

you can choose in its settings to display image for unrecognized fonts.

it works like a charm and you can read hindi websites.

here is the image of hindi website in opera on droid incredible as i mentioned .

IMAG0046.jpg

Thanks everybody. I managed to Install the font using the route in the post. Only as mentioned the half-letters and matras are not perfect. They are quite readable.

I am afraid I am not a fan of Opera and prefer the Dolphin HD browser.

Now is there a keyboard app I can use for typing out sms messages.

:previous:

Sir ji, use Panini keyboard available in AM for FREE, available for almost all Indian languages... Our friend Sougata ji is using it for Bengali too...

Yes, only Opera Mini allows access to Hindi, Bangla, Tamil, Urdu etc websites.

I read a lot of websites on my Fascinate using Opera Mini. And using Panini I write Bangla emails and also post Bangla in Facebook. Quite helpful.

HTC Explorer: Android Supporting Hindi and Tamil

Bangalore: HTC Explorer, HTC’s most affordable Smartphone, will be the first Android device to offer full support for text input and display of Hindi and Tamil languages. HTC Explorer users will be able to view and compose content in Hindi and Tamil on any compatible Android application and they will have exclusive access to high quality fonts and some of the best designed virtual keyboards for Hindi and Tamil.

101250-top.jpg

"Language is the basic medium in which people communicate and people communicate most effectively and smoothly in a language which they grew up and are familiar with. That's why HTC has made Indian language support a key priority as part of our commitment to India." said Lennard Hoornik, president of South Asia, HTC Corporation.

As the first Android Smartphone to offer full Hindi and Tamil language support, HTC Explorer users will be able to view Hindi and Tamil websites, making it easy to view online content. In addition, HTC Explorer users will be able to send and receive text messages and emails in Hindi and Tamil, making it simple, intuitive and easy for Indian consumers to communicate and interact with each other.

HTC will be working to expand support for other Indian languages on HTC Explorer in 2012. This native language input and display support will also be integrated into future HTC smartphones launched in India, potentially enabling one billion people to carry on billions of conversations in their own languages.

“India is one of the fastest growing global Smartphone markets with a rich culture and language diversity, which makes it imperative for clear and effortless communications,” said Lennard Hoornik, president of South Asia, HTC Corporation. “By being the first to offer Indian language input and display capabilities, HTC is making it easy for Indian consumers to communicate and understand each other, which is testament to our continued focus on delivering the best possible Smartphone user experience for our customers.”

Source : http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/HTC_Explorer_Android_Supporting_Hindi_and_Tamil___-nid-101250-cid-31.html