Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
anchitjindal07

Reliance 3G dongle support in Linux?

Hi

I just want to know whether Reliance 3G dongles ZTE MF 190 and Huawei E173 works in Linux operating system

• Like 1

Almost all 3G & EVDO dongles work flawlessly in latest linux distros like Ubuntu 12.10 - actually better than in windows 8 now.

I have stopped noting down which models work or not as I am yet to get any model not working in the last 1 years - and i would have used at least 8-10 different models.

Still you never know if something has problems so its best to check the dongle by taking your laptop to the shop before buying.

For example my BB 9650 is CDMA+GSM so although it is supported it always keeps trying GSM mode while I am using it on CDMA.

Or you can check here in Wammu/Gammu database here (http://wammu.eu/phones/)

This database is actually for SMS/Voice support for 3G dongles on linux but usually if the phone model is mentioned there it should work for internet.

Many of the models not mentioned in wammu will also work for internet. Voice/SMS is much tougher to support as there are no published datasheets.

Alternatively, if you are yet to buy the dongle then you can search on the net for 100% working ones. Or i can suggest few models that I have and are working.

BTW, you don't have to configure anything for 3G dongles. Just attach dongle and in 5-10 seconds you click on the network icon (top right in ubuntu) and the drop down should show you your operator entry (like Reliance 3G etc). Click there and it'll connect. In case of problems, click the 'configure' menu item in the same drop down (for eg to select GPRS instead of 3G etc or if you want to change the default APN for any reason)

For EVDO modems you have to enter you login/password by clicking configure before they'll connect.

Read these pages: and these for the 2 models you have specified. DON'T read pages dated before 2012 as there may be cmdline configs which are no longer needed.

Edited by ami1