Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
sgiitk

International Travel - SIM Cards, Data Charges, Etc

Need One more Suggestion:

i need a Quad band phone in a low budget - calls only - it will go with this card

my father is good in loosing a phone so dont want any fancy stuff. Thanks

Nokia C2-01

• Like 1

Here are my experiences for the last 3 years or so. <br />1. Hong Kong - 2010 - didn't take matrix as I had HTC Hero cdma then. A friend brought a local sim from there called smile chat chat. Weird name but very economical. Calls to India were less than a rupee per minute. <br />2. Spain - 2011 - got matrix. Expensive. They charged me 25 rupees per day for an incoming free sim. Outgoing calls were expensive. Bought another prepaid sim (happy movil) from there. Good cheap calls and data. <br />3. Singapore - 2012 - decided not to take matrix. Bought a starhub prepaid sim for about 500 from the airport. Good talk time within this money and about 300 MB data. Cheap outgoing calls to India using idd. Had free wifi in the hotel too. <br />4. Kuala Lumpur - 2012 - again gave up on matrix. Bought a Maxis hotlink prepaid aim for about 600. Again cheap outgoing calls using idd. 250mb data. <br />5. China - once again did not take matrix. Wanted to buy China Unicom prepaid sim. But did not get time and since wifi was free in the hotel did not buy. Using Google voice credit to call phones in India (2 cents per minute) and whatsapp for im. Gtalk for video chat. Writing this message from China right now. I do not have a G voice number so I can not use my phone for it and have to use my laptop. <br />Unfortunately no twitter, Facebook and Wikipedia in China. :(<br />All in all I would say matrix isn't the best option and turns out to be pretty expensive if you want to make outgoing calls. Most of the times, you will get a cheap prepaid sim from airport or a 7/11 shop. In fact while on my way to Kl, a friend spotted a stall at the ig international airport that was selling prepaid sim cards for various countries. He bought one for kl (don't remember which provider) and it worked well there.<br />Also free wifi comes handy to make voice / video calls. <br />TripAdvisor is a good website where people discuss various prepaid sim options to in different countries.

• Like 2

Unfortunately no twitter, Facebook and Wikipedia in China.

On an off note, now we know why Chinese economy is the most productive in the world... :winko:

• Like 2

For people travelling to US - Its not a big deal to get a prepaid simcard. You can get it off the shelf without any id proof or documents. Also there are unlimited talk and text plans for 60$ which is way cheaper than using all the Matrix and other cards. Also to call India you can use calling cards which are cheaper and calling the access numbers for them is not charged as you are on unlimited talk .

AT&t is a GsM provider and has good coverage across states.

Need One more Suggestion:

i need a Quad band phone in a low budget - calls only - it will go with this card

my father is good in loosing a phone so dont want any fancy stuff. Thanks

Nokia C2-01

Nokia C2-01 was not in supply so i went for other options

1) Samsung Duos Metro (3300/-)

2) Samsung Champ Neo (3100/-)

I got Neo because its more Chick than other in a better rate, both the phones are Quad Band in both SIM 1 and Sim 2

Nargis-Fakhri-Elle-in-2.jpg

Unfortunately no twitter, Facebook and Wikipedia in China.

On an off note, now we know why Chinese economy is the most productive in the world... :winko:

On the contrary, they have Chinese counterparts of social media. Missing corruption in general public is probably more relevant in their progress.

i tried using reliance world sim /passport. it is highly unreliable but the worst case is that the customer care is one of the worst i have ever encountered. They just do not bother. I tried to talk to their national head and he was rude enough to bang the phone down. i went one stepm ahead to appeal the appellate authority did not even acknowledge the email!

I lost 4000 rs. Would like to warn everyone that uses local SIM while traveling abroad and never ever buy this reliance product.

• Like 1

Received this mail may be useful for some. https://www.clay.co.in/landingpage-international-sim-card.aspx?utm_source=Tyroo&utm_medium=CPLGraphicEmailer1&utm_campaign=lead DON’T GO ABROAD WITHOUT CLAY

• Low Call Rates to India
  • International Data Packs for Tabs & iPads
  • One SIM for 200+ Countries
  • Customized Voice & Data Plans
OODBYE HIGH ROAMING CHARGES!

Travelling abroad with Clay International SIM card will save you up to 80% on your roaming across 200+ countries. Enjoy free data and share wonderful moments with your family and friends. As a frequent traveller you can also get a Clay Permanent number at minimal cost.

INTERNATIONAL SIM CARD
  • Lowest Call Rates to India
  • One SIM for 200+ Countries
  • Say "NO" to International Roaming
  • Enjoy Unlimited Free Internet
  • Available in Postpaid and Prepaid options
  • Compatible with Every Device
CLAY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Buy, Recharge and Pay Bills Online
  • Save Forex, Pay in Rupees
  • Share Local Numbers with Family & Friends before Leaving India
  • Dedicated Customer Support