Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
amitroutray

How To Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S3 - US Cellular [SCH-R530U]

Great!

Amit has provided a nice tutorial comprising every detail of it.

Now it's really hard to have the statistics how many users (noobs or experts) have, knowingly or unknowingly, gone for the latest OTA update and lost data on their precious handsets! It's also very difficult for the sellers here (small or reputed) to guide each and every buyer down the line how to restrain from the update and to be safe how to root their handsets, which will prevent further possibility of the detrimental OTA update. Amit's this tutorial will be of great help in this regard. Actually, I feel, soon after this data mishap was noticed, our forum should have one warning message (in bold red marquee) that "Don't go for such and such OTA update, otherwise your data will be lost" right at the Forum entry page . This was missing on the part of our Moderators / Super Moderators.

• Like 1

Great!!!!!

I am one of the sufferer. As I was too busy and there was no immediate requirement of data I postponed the procedure. And files were not getting downloaded.

Thanks Amit and I too agree with Sougata Dhar about the warning.

Not rooted so far, probably today I will do it.

• Like 1

If your data is yet to restore, then mere rooting will not help. You need to follow Parin's tutorial of restoring data:http://www.rimweb.in/forums/topic/36015-how-to-get-data-working-after-latest-jellybean-update-on-galaxy-s3-us-cellular/

Then follow this tutorial of rooting.

But I could not download the files from mega. Keval Mehta gave another link I am trying that.

Edited by vijaykv

Hey !! @Sougata da @Vijay

You are welcome mate !!! :winko:

All credits goes to our Dear Sougata da. First he share the files and then guided me when he is traveling in the train. I am just elaborate the procedure clearly here so that no more mishap happen again. It was very late in the night yesterday and forget to add MD5. now you can check the MD5 before Flasing.

I am sure you folks are going to enjoy it !!! :SI:

@Vijay the links are not working you can go with that official link of MB1.

Rooted my phone using the above method and installed a custom rom " Hyper drive Rom" from

here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2176793. Very nice rom and lot of

customisations are available. More over data 1x/EVDO working perfectly.

sivashankkar

• Like 3

It looks data goes kaput after 4.1.2 OTA update if on RUIM. Registering its MEID or downgrade to 4.0.4/4.1.1 are the options. Download the combination file from teamuscellular and place it in Odin 3.0.7 and flash in PDA, viola ! data is back. Very helpful and descriptive tutorial by Amit. Rather a real painless method. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my N5100

• Like 1

@skssha thank you very much for sharing the Hyper Drive Rom.

Triggered from Transformer 300 using Tapatalk HD

After Rooting, my Wifi and Data both are turning ON automatically. After switch off it is again turning ON after 3-4 hour. Does anybody else face this type of problem.

Wow!!!!!!! At last I have done it. My data started working.

Thanks to everybody.

• Like 1

It looks data goes kaput after 4.1.2 OTA update if on RUIM. Registering its MEID or downgrade to 4.0.4/4.1.1 are the options. Download the combination file from teamuscellular and place it in Odin 3.0.7 and flash in PDA, viola ! data is back. Very helpful and descriptive tutorial by Amit. Rather a real painless method. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my

Confirm if data works on mb1 baseband/build 4.1.2

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

After Rooting, my Wifi and Data both are turning ON automatically. After switch off it is again turning ON after 3-4 hour. Does anybody else face this type of problem.

Are you using Snapdragon Battery Guru? It has default tendency to periodically turn Wi-Fi on. If yes, this can be modified at its setting.

• Like 1

Yes Sougata da I am using it. will do that in the setting.

Thank you dada :)

Will data work on baseband/build mb1 and android 4.1.2

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

@Pradeep mine Baseband/Build MB1 and JB 4.1.2 STOCK and it is working fine.

Till mb1 things have been pretty good with the us cellular s3.

And loads of thankies to amit for a.splendid tutorial.

See ya

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by joshm
  • Like 1

ThanX Joshm and all of you for the support :hi2: Guys it will encourage a lot :signthankspin:...!!!

Yes. Even in verizon galaxy s3 it was fine till MB1. The MD3 messed up data and signal was low. Now MF1 is relased. Havent updated my phone with it fearing that i might lose data.

really nice tutorial by Amit!

though never got a US cellular handset!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Request MOD to change the OP title to "How To Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S3 - US Cellular [sCH-R530U]"
If you want to root it and use your device to its full potential this tutorial will show you how to Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery on your Galaxy S3 R530U.
I was looking for this for a long time and finally founded it and thought it would be helpful to have a clean thread ;)
Thanks to Joshm for his guidance :)
MD5: 2E747DC089D529D52DFE46F1F08298A8
This is the file unzip the CWM6.tar.md5 and this is what flash through the ODIN. check the MD5 first before flashing :Descarga:
3. Make sure that your mobile should have 70 – 80% battery & [uSB Debugging] is enabled in your phone, if it is not go to Settings -> Developer Options and enable it.
4. Put your phone in DOWNLOAD Mode. You do that by pressing Volume Down + Home + Power button and hold it down till you see a warning screen. When you see the warning screen hit Volume Up to allow Download Mode.
post-69747-0-12771800-1373908312_thumb.j
5. Now that your phone is in Download Mode you are going to connect your phone to your computer with ODIN RUNNING if everything connects correctly you will see ODIN highlight on the ID:COM box as Yellow.
6. Press the PDA button, ONLY PDA & select the .tar.md5 file and Hit START.
Finally you will get PASS! notification on the ID:COM box as Green and then as the reboot tab was default selected,This will reboot your phone. Now the CWM Recovery Installed in your phone. :SI:
This is my actual Odin Video on YouTube for your reference :thumb:
How to get into Recovery Mode

1. Unplug the USB cable.
2. Shut down the phone.
3. Hold down the HOME + VOLUME UP buttons and press the POWER button for about 5 seconds to enter into Recovery Mode.
Enjoy . . . ;)
post-69747-0-63165600-1373915106_thumb.j
Next to come : How to Remove Unnecessary Bloatware using Super DeBloater :SI:STAY TUNED
Don't forget to HIT LIKE :yes: if it helps you :Chulo:
  • Like 4

why not use titanium backup and freeze these apps ?

I think Nitin it is easy to uninstall in a single shot rather than selecting one by one 80 app :) and the main thing is you don't have to remember which one to select or which one to leave.

Edited by amitroutray
  • Like 1

Thanks Amit for your detailed writing.
After rooting I used Root Uninstaller to remove all these. However, Super DeBloater is fast and safe, hence better, although there is no option to choose from a list.

For CWM recovery, it is much easier to use CWM ROM Manager Premium which installs recovery quickly without any hassle.

• Like 1