Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ni0987

Review: ZTE Engage MT N8000

Hardware Specifications.

Here is my experience with this handset.

Package Contents: Handset, battery, backdoor, 4GB microSD, wall charger & data/charging cable.

Appearance: looks small (perhaps because now we are getting used to big-sized phones) but doesn't look cheap. Not a usual design. Very nice looking silver chrome with slant surface. Top edge over screen has a mesh design that enhances the looks. Curved back is another addition.

Build quality: Very good. Back panel is solid. I couldn;t find any point where it may feel/look weak. A bit slippery in hand.

Display: Fairly good. Sharp & Clear. I could read my mails outdoors in sunlight but not in direct sunlight. its 4-inches, 480x800.

Camera: Forget it. Good that it comes with a flash which may become useful in sudden blackouts. You have to install a torch app though.

OS: Android ICS. Clean and bare. No UI customization. After first reboot, in task manager, I found only 3 processes running. After configuring my gmail account, only google services were running in addition. Carrier apps won't run by default. Two demo games are included (removable). A very helpful task manager with a one-click-cleanup widget is also there. NQ anti-virus is also included but I didn't activate it. I never believe in anti-viruses. I didn't try to root it yet as I don't feel any need.

Performance: It has 1GHz sinle core qualcomm processor and you will feel it. Things start moving right when touched/slided/pushed/held but by the time of culmination, you will feel uneasy. You can't call it slow, but its not fast either. Don't worry, there's something to compansate.

It's got 1GB RAM. This is an appreciable part of specs. I tried my hands on one of stock games, and it was running smoothely. Most of time, I could see about 500 MB of free ram (Haven't installed any extra apps in it yet).

Calling experience: Signal reception, earpiece sound, loud speaker sound and listeners at other end, no complaints anywhere.

Battery Backup: 1900mAh. Lasted for the day with usual use. About 2hours of calls. One email ID and calenders synced, half an hour of web-browsing, 2 hours of youtube with HD videos, one hour of music playback (out of which half an hour was streamed over BT).

Music: You get something unexpected here. I found very good sound output from this phone. I never appreciate sythesized output for music (have been using super-neutral sansa players for past 8 years). When I listened some music played on this phone, I had to appreciate it. I know it does have some enhancements for playbacks (SRS WOW), but I couldn't figure out which part of sound spectrum is being manipulated. Sorry, I can't explain much here as I am not aware of musical/acoustics terms. It sounds good even when music was streamed through BT (I use Jabra Tag).

some other good features:

• Zero SPC.
  • Mini-SIM.
  • Data enabled easily for MTS & Tata Indicom (Couldn't get data with RCDMA. Guess, I have to change the RUIM).
    Update: Checked with another Reliance RUIM. Got EVDO data without any issue.
  • Bloatwares easily removable or can be disabled.
  • Many stock apps have dark UI. notably SMS app doesn't have.
  • tethering/hotspot enabled.
  • option for installing apps on internal/external memory.
  • Good EVDO speed, HD youtube videos streamed without breaks.
  • Very light heating during active data usage.
  • Comes with a clear screen-guard pre-installed.

The Bads:

• This is most annoying and deserves top position: While talking, if an SMS arrives, the SMS-alert blasts in your ears. Unable to figure out, how could they do this?
  • It doen't have notification light. It doesn't even wake up if an SMS arrives while its sleeping. You totally
  • Finding a headset with working mic is still an unsolved puzzle for me. I am waiting for Panasonic RP-TCM120 handsfree which is not compatible with nokia phones. I hope it will be compatible with this phone :-/
  • It didn't show files sent from a moto phone sent through BT, but it readily showed files sent from another ZTE phone. o_O
  • Backspace key is awkwardly positioned in bottom row in dialer app. I have never seen earlier, too confusing and sometimes get touched unintentionally.
  • You have to put little extra efforts to reach the power button. Its due to curved back and slant chrome.
  • It doesn't have option for importing contacts from RUIM. This was really a problem for me. I don;t want to install an app just for this one time task.
  • No accessories available for this model. Even in US, very few options are there.
  • And finally its stuck at ICS.

Summery: For whatever price you get it, you won;t regret it as a secondary handset.

-------

Warning: No one will call me ZTE fanboy :threatenlumber:

Edited by ni0987
  • Like 6

how much time it takes to charge from 2-3 to 100% ?