Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ctrl_alt_del

Sms2mail On Airtel

Guys, recently my girlfriend subscribed to the sms2mail service offered by Airtel. For 15/- a month, the facility offered access to your emails via sms.

The service offered your phone number as your email ID i.e. if your number 9860XXXXXX, then your email ID will be 919860XXXXXX@smsairtel.com

Any mail sent to this ID will be instantly delivered to your sms box. Now whenever I send her mails, she is getting them promptly. However, she is unable to send me any emails through her cell phone. Whenever she tries to mail me a reply, she gets an error saying something about some default configuration not being specified ( I will post the exact error later, I seem to have forgotten it ).

If any one else is using the same facility, kindly guide me in this regard. As she is in Mumbai and I am in Bhubaneshwar, I can't guide her as to what to do. Any other users of the same service from the Maha circle, kindly tell me how to get over this problem.

Thanks in advance.

:unsure: I am still unsure about www.smsairtel.com

This site is not owned by AIRTEL, the whois result shows that some other company called Jataayu soft owns it. As per www.airtelworld.com (AIRTEL's official website) there is no such facility mentioned anywhere, even in South Circle!

Please give more details in which city your Girlfriend subscribed it!

Thanks

cMahendra

Yeah, it isint mentioned anywhere on the Airtel site. However save for the outgoing email facility, it has been working perfectly. Great way for me to save money on SMS. As I have access to Internet 24X7, I can SMS her anytime.

Her Airtel number is of Pune. As of now, she is in Mumbai for her MBA project and that's where she subscribed to the service.

anyone know how to subscribe to it?

Only CTRL_ALT_DEL can tell us that, if his girlfriend tells him how to subscribe. Otherwise I have confrmed with AIRTEL Gallery in mumbai that nowhere in Maharashtra and GOA this service is officially available.

CTRL is sending sms to his gf through email-id which is not owned by Bharati Telecom. Therefore obviously the reciever cannot reply him with sms becuase the JATAYU-SOFT do not have any association with AIRTEL for reply system. This service might be some local service provider who is sending these SMS on testing basis from there SMS gateway linked with Mobile Phone with unlimited outgoing SMS service. This is just a possibility. As far as Mumbai, Maharahtra, Goa is concerned , AIRTEL people told be they have not launched such service. :(

It is, of course, possible to write a small software in Visual Basic to accept emails and send as SMS through a mobile-phone connected with Data-Cable and having unlimited outgoing SMS facility. This is also called bulk-sms used for Commercial advts, which is technically banned now by TRAI.

YES! You can send instant FREE SMS to KARNATAKA Airtel subscribers as 919845xxxxxx@airtelkk.com ,which I am using since more than a year to send SMS to my relatives in KARNATAKA STATE. :clap:

Un-official website hee sahi, its good to know that CTRL_ALT_DEL can send sms to Pune Airtel Subscriber.

Enjoy buddy.

C. Mahendra

@cmahendra: Guess this thread escaped your attention.

Today I figured out how to be able to recieve SMS from her on my mail ID. It was really very easy. I would have figured it out earlier had I paid more attention to it the last time I visited the site.

Anyway, go through that thread of mine. It will be quite an eye-opener. And if you can test what I have proposed, I would be much indebted.

As for how to subscribe to the service, give me sometime. I will talk with my gf in the evening and report back with the exact instructions on how to subscribe to the service.

As far as I remember, one is supposed to send "SUB" to 8284 or some number to subscribe to the service. There after, 15/- is deducted automatically every month. Like I said, give me time till evening. I will be back with the exact procedure.

@cmahendra: Guess this thread escaped your attention.

Today I figured out how to be able to recieve SMS from her on my mail ID. It was really very easy. I would have figured it out earlier had I paid more attention to it the last time I visited the site.

Anyway, go through that thread of mine. It will be quite an eye-opener. And if you can test what I have proposed, I would be much indebted.

As for how to subscribe to the service, give me sometime. I will talk with my gf in the evening and report back with the exact instructions on how to subscribe to the service.

As far as I remember, one is supposed to send "SUB" to 8284 or some number to subscribe to the service. There after, 15/- is deducted automatically every month. Like I said, give me time till evening. I will be back with the exact procedure.

Hello CTRL

I read your above stated post, but could not reply here, as I was posting some other Email-2-SMS which is closed related to yours. (9xxxxxxxx@smsairtel.com which is still free other places) Anyway I replied to that post also. Check again.

Also, I tried to send SMS to 8284 from my Airtel, it failed, may be in mumbai circle it does not exist.

May be together we can solve this mystery. I dont understand why your post will be an eye-opener for me, as you are paying and using a third-party website, while others are not paying and sending free sms to anything@smsairtel.com in Pune directly from OUTLOOK EPXRESS/Yahoo/Hotmail. Please CLICK HERE for SHOAIB's reply. Seems we are on different tracks. Lets update again. Anyways.

C. Mahendra

Mumbai

Ok, so here is the procedure. It's pretty straight forward.

Just send "SUB" (without quotes) to 8282. You will recieve a confirmatory message with your password and the link to your mailbox.

It's as simple as that.

See, without paying you are getting to send SMS to Airtel numbers for free using mail. However, if you pay 15/-, you are getting the ability to be able to send mails from your phone to a mail ID. So you see, probably they are charging 15/- for the ability to send out unlimted e-mails using your Airtel SMS service.

Ok, so here is the procedure. It's pretty straight forward.

Just send "SUB" (without quotes) to 8282. You will recieve a confirmatory message with your password and the link to your mailbox.

It's as simple as that.

See, without paying you are getting to send SMS to Airtel numbers for free using mail. However, if you pay 15/-, you are getting the ability to be able to send mails from your phone to a mail ID. So you see, probably they are charging 15/- for the ability to send out unlimted e-mails using your Airtel SMS service.

HI CTRL

MORE CLEAR THIS TIME! So the incoming EMAIL-ID-2-SMS is free as we were discussing, and OUTGOING SMS from mobile to EMAIL-ID is chargeable and can be subscribed with above way. Thanks for the details! Cool!

C. Mahendra

Edited by cmahendra