Vishal Gupta

Clear Voice & Voice Privacy

Hi guys!

There are some options in LG-RD2030:

1: Clear Voice

2: Voice Privacy

what it does?

is there any benefit of these options.

are they related to saving battery power?

Please tell me

Thanks & bye

my guess is that they are related to encrypting your calls to reduce the chance of eves dropping

not directly related to battery power except if privacy is turned on, the chip has to do extra work and will consume maybe 5-10% more power

Actually that's a fairly simple problem to solve:

sender has privacy = ON

tower first checks recv - if recv setting also ON,

connection is private

else its clear/public

so both might have to set it ON for it to work.

no sending of dual signals which would be a waste of bandwidth.

i dont think the privacy feature is active now? any idea? :)

I guess the Conversations r tapped anyways! :) Even the ones where u get romantic ;)

CDMA has its roots in US Army mobile communication technologies dating back to the 1970-80's (first used around the 1940's though)! Voice privacy is a way of scrambling your signal for security. CDMA spreads a signal over a wide band range hence tapping is quite difficult as it is. Of course both parties must have Voice Privacy enabled for it to work (all though I don't know if RIM supports it).

Clear Voice is a noise cancellation technology that tries to delete background noise from your speech (it works pretty well)!

I don't see how either of them could be consuming less battery - theoritically they should consume more! But then agan with your RIM phone/battery you're screwed anyways!

I Enquired with the helpline.

1. At present both the features are not supported by Reliance network.

i.e., Voice Privacy & Clear Voice.

2. It's advisable to keep Voice Privacy in STANDARD MODE & Clear Voice in OFF mode.

Ok then

In other words... if the privacy setting is set to off.. the conversations on CDMA can be TAPPED????

ALL phone conversations can be tapped!

Its not much more secure than email as far as the operator is concerned.

As far as a 3rd party is concerned (using a scanner), its much harder with digital than analog.

And harder with CDMA compared to GSM.

I don't know how Clear Voice can be (not)supported by RIM. It is a phone feature after all something like one-button-dialing. Try it by asking the person at the other end if he/she notices any difference in your voice when you enable or disable it during a conversation (preferably with some background noise)! I can make out the difference pretty easily!

Anuj, its certainly a fone feature, but it mite also be a network enabled feature... coz i remember when Airtel Launched itself in Mumbai, they made a big entry by showcasing their Voice Clarity Network feature. So maybe it shud also be something related to the network capabilities. As far as CustCare guys go, u cant expect them to know much!

hmmm...

i cant give much details bcauz i dont know much,

but i read in a DIGIT issue that it's a feature of the CDMA technology itself.. so it's not phone, it's not network. it's CDMA.

something to do with 1x and 2x Codecs'

that's as far as i can remember.

and if u want to read that article, it's called Where theres (a) WLL there's a Way dont remember the issue.. :eek:

If they don't offer the feature and they don't plan on offering it, why put an option in a software that they created???

I guess it is a handset feature, nt done by reliance.

If their network support it, they can make use of this feature in handset.. :angry: