Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Doordarshan Channels On Dvb-h Mobiles Soon

DD Channels on DVB-H Mobiles Soon

According to a report carried in 'Hindustan Times,' Doordarshan will provide four of its channels, including Sports and News channels, to Digital Video Broadcasting Handheld (DVB-H) mobile phone users in Delhi from May this year.

Announcing this initiative, B S Lalli, Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharati, said that test runs for the broadcasting TV channels on dedicated cell phones in Delhi has been successful, and that the commercial launch is likely to be in May this year. Subsequently, in the coming months, the number of channels will be increased first to 10, and then to 15.

Lalli also said that DD's foray into this hi-tech field is completely vendor-neutral, and has no commercial tie-up with any mobile manufacturer. A DVB-H compatible handset made by any mobile manufacturer can receive mobile TV broadcast.

According to Lalli, the initial cost of the TV compatible handset was Rs 32,000. However, it has now been brought down to Rs 18,000, and they hope it will be about Rs 6,000 in a year when sales of such handsets increase. After the launch of this service in Delhi, the system will be replicated in Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai.

In another move, DD's project for Direct Terrestrial Telecast (DTT) for those wanting to watch television in their cars in Delhi has been dropped after poor response and objections from traffic police.

but who watches dd now ..

if they will provide dd free also then also no one will watch dd in urban areas ..

anyways thanx for the info....

^^^

My dear Kunal you are correct that now a days not so many people want to watch Doordarshan even if it comes free. But the point here is, when we are on the move then even free channels like of Doordarshan are not bad. Atleast in matters of News channels we can have online latest news from Doordarshan.

But this service will be launched in Delhi first and then in rest of the country.

Regards.

Okie..i'll have to agree wid u on that part..

But still i expect that more news channels(NDTV etc) shud come up ...

Lets wait and watch..

Let DD launch this technology successfully, after that you'll see many channels coming to u through DD network itself.

Exactly my dear Anuragz you are 100% right. As soon as this technology been successful, other major Channels may also be available to mobile users. But the main thing is that this service must be available nationwide.

Regards.

Yeah..

there strategy wud b to first test it in Delhi..

if all goes well...

then they wil soon think of launching this service in whole india..

^^^

@Kunal

But my dear friend it is clearly stated in the press release that test runs for the broadcasting TV channels on dedicated cell phones in Delhi has already been successful, then what's the problem to launch this service atleast in the four Metros altogether in the starting phase.

Regards.

oopz...

stupid me..i missed that line..

well i m also amazed that if the test r successful..then why the hell they r nt launching this service on all india basis..

^^^

My dear Kunal I think they themselves are not confident about the success of this service. May be they try this in Delhi first and see if this service becomes a success or a failure and then launch it nationwide.

Regards.