Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
ksudeep

Gps

Gurus,

phonescoop.com describes PPC 6700 as a GPS enabled device. I went to the registry. Now I can see GPS settings. Its under : Start > Settings > System > GPS. I already have 'Tomtom' installed in my box.

Can I use my PPC 6700 as a standalone GPS device (i.e. without pairing it with say a bluetooth GPS receiver) ?

regards.

nope ... it is GPS compatible .. but does not have the hardware ... you can pair it with any sifr star 3 GPS unit / TOMTOM / Navicore / Garmin etc. ..

But as such the handset does not have GPS capablities :D

cheers

karki

thanx Karki.

got few more Qs.

1. can i pair any gps bluethooth receiver with my ppc 6700 ?

1.1 if no, can you pl elaborate on this ?

1.1 if yes, can you pl suggest a good gps receiver ?

1.2 whats the appx price ?

2. are there gps compatible maps of India ?

2.1 preferrably mumbai-n-pune ?

2.1.1 are they worth ? i mean are they good ? e.g. i was in Europe for few weeks. i recently came back. these people have excellent maps+database. gps device even suggests type of roads (highway, expressways, walking, shortest, quickest etc), lanes to choose, petol pumps, demono pizza's etc.

2.2 do we need to 'purchase' them or are available free of charge or cracked versions are available ? - i checked out on this over google. (found a link or few for mum maps. but got problem with installing them. )

3. can we use maps from google-maps or msn-live maps ?

i highly appriciate your response.

thanx.

1. can i pair any gps bluethooth receiver with my ppc 6700 ?

=>Yes

1.1 if no, can you pl elaborate on this ?

1.1 if yes, can you pl suggest a good gps receiver ?

=>find @ http://www.satguide.in

1.2 whats the appx price ?

=>find @ http://www.satguide.in

2. are there gps compatible maps of India ?

=>Yes

2.1 preferrably mumbai-n-pune ?

=>Yes

2.1.1 are they worth ? i mean are they good ? e.g. i was in Europe for few weeks. i recently came back. these people have excellent maps+database. gps device even suggests type of roads (highway, expressways, walking, shortest, quickest etc), lanes to choose, petol pumps, demono pizza's etc.

=>Probably Yes

2.2 do we need to 'purchase' them or are available free of charge or cracked versions are available ? - i checked out on this over google. (found a link or few for mum maps. but got problem with installing them. )

=>Yes

3. can we use maps from google-maps or msn-live maps ?

=>NO

Hope you got your answer.

Edited by abc2005

yep. excellent info. excellent site ref. thanx.

just a little doubt. about availing the maps. purchase ? free ? or cracked versions ?

thanx a ton.

well to be honest with you ... I've used garmin and sifr star III, and both are awsome.. Accurate to the last detail .. but somehow the accuracy I get on google maps is awsome .. and guess what .. if you have an unltd data plan - nothing like it ... awsome coverage from airtel in mumbai - mah - goa so no concerns (yeah .. I use it on my HTC P3300) .

Mapking is equally good. might work out cheaper than satguide. But let me warn you incosistencies in high speed travel - especially above 160 kmph - mapking starts to give data slightly off the position. Googlemaps has been more than accurate even in such speeds.

Other than that you can download maps from http://garminmapsearch.com/ or http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php?country=102

The maps can be loaded on gpsVP which is a freeware WM5 software - JGI.

The said software is also quite reliable - even with raster maps. You can use any BT enabled GPS device and you just need to pair the PPC with the device to enable and start the maps. Recommendation will be to pick up a two way BT enabled GPS from garmin so that you can use AGPS in situations where you are not directly under the sky or when you need a quick but accurate positioning.

if you have any further queries - shoot :D

cheers

karki

oh wow !

thats a great information. thanx a ton.

You mentined 'unlimited data plan'. My previous info says that it doesnt need any service provider for GPS services. does this referes to AGPS only ?

Following is my understanding. Pl correct if I am wrong.

In realtime, BT GPS receiver will feed the info to the PPC which will intern show the location on map. Now, if we are not directly under the sky, BT GPS receiver will fetch the info from service provider (i.e. AGPS) and 'll continue to show the info on map.

thanx once again.

keep rocking...

OK ... will try to explain in depth ...

You have 2 modes of connection - D-GPS or GPS and A-GPS

D GPS - is a direct GPS where you are right under the sky and you can get your co-ordinates (Alt, Lat and Lon, Velocity etc)

A GPS - is where you use the trico-ordinate of the service provider and calculates your position accurately

For the co-ordinates no data transfer is needed as in both the cases the GPS device is getting just co-ordinate information from the source (satellite or base station) - Anyway if you have noticed there is location information streamed to your phone all the time - so the co-ordiantes from the network base station aint really a concern.

Now - the maps and softwares

you can either pre-download the maps - in which scenario - you'll no longer need to be connected to a network to download the maps ...

but I prefer using google maps where I am continiously connected to the Google maps server and real time maps are streamed.

If you have any further queries - please shoot.

cheers

karki