Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Honest

Desktop-like Web Browsing On Your Mobile with Skyfire!

Desktop-like Web Browsing on Your Mobile

Haven't you ever wished that your mobile phone could double as your laptop? Of course you have! Such a device would obviously minimize the necessity to carry multiple gadgets. In today's world the mobile phone is fast getting there – while not exactly a replacement to a laptop, it's come pretty close.

There are plenty of web browsers (such as Opera, or the iPhone’s Safari) that can give users a very easy-to-navigate feel while they are logged in to the Internet. Skyfire, the latest attempt, aims at providing Windows Mobile users a full-fledged desktop-like view while surfing the web on their devices.

Skyfire is equipped with integrated Flash support to enhance user experience. Unlike most other mobile browsers, Skyfire can actually play embedded videos. The developers claim the idea is to provide users with the most realistic computer-like interface for navigation.

Skyfire is compatible with both Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0, touchscreen or otherwise. It also promises users great speeds while browsing. The best part is that it's freeware. For more information and to sign up, check out the Skyfire website.

Edited by Honest

^^^

From their website as given above:

Join the Skyfire Private Beta

We are accepting sign-ups for early beta access to Skyfire so we can get your feedback and suggestions built into the final product. Sign up for our private beta today and we’ll notify you when it’s ready for a test drive. Then you can start using Skyfire, and tell us what you think. We look forward to your feature suggestions, troubleshooting tips and ideas. Even with the early beta release, you’ll be browsing the web on your phone just like you do on your PC.

What you need to participate

* A U.S. mobile phone number.

* A mobile phone subscriber data plan with a mobile phone service provider (an unlimited data plan is recommended).

* A mobile phone running Windows Mobile 5 or 6, both touchscreen and non-touchscreen phones are supported.

Phones we support

* Skyfire will initially run on Windows Mobile 5 or 6 mobile phones in the United States. If you do not know what mobile phone platform you have, visit the Microsoft Windows Mobile phone directory to find out if yours is a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 device.

* The initial beta release will support only Windows Mobile phones with full keyboards (QWERTY). If your Windows Mobile phone doesn’t have a full keyboard, please continue to sign up for the beta and we’ll let you know when it’s supported.

* Soon we will support the Symbian platform.

* Other platforms and geographies are on the roadmap, too.

* If you have a Windows Mobile phone, sign up today and we will notify you when the Skyfire private beta starts.

* If you do not have a Windows Mobile phone or you live outside the United States, please sign up so we can promptly notify you when Skyfire is available for your type of mobile phone.

Hey guys check out this amazing phone web browser.

Its amazing, atleast i am impressed.

www.skyfire.com Founder is indian.

Click here to see how it works.

I had a chance to get a demo of the upcoming SkyFire browser last week and I gotta tell you - it's hot. Here's the skinny - it's currently in private beta with a public beta planned for later this quarter. It works on Windows Mobile Pro and Standard (and Symbian, hush), and it's really, really awesome. As in, “my envy for the iPhone's browser may soon be coming to an end” kind of awesome.

Here's how it works:

It's a server-side solution (more on that inside) based on Gecko (same bits behind Firefox's rendering). Basically everything gets rendered on the server and then sent out to your phone. That solves some of the processor / speed issues, but it also adds more benefits, like full AJAX, Flash, Javascript, you name it. I watched the browser instantly load an embedded YouTube video (from a random page on our site) and start playing with nary a jag and nary a lag -- this over a UMTS connection, mind you.

The SkyFire teams told me “Our goal is that if Firefox can render it, then your Windows Mobile phone will render it the exact same way.”

There's more:

For the first time ever, smartphone users can experience the “Real Web” to access and interact with any Website built with any Web technology, including dynamic Flash, advanced Ajax, Java and more - at the same speeds they are accustomed to on their PC -

Server Side is Awesome/Not Awesome:

The upside - The benefit of having 90% of the work on a server is you get snappy rendering, full support for basically any web standard, and fast downloads. You get the desktop browser pushed out to your phone.

The downside - That server better stay up, hey? It also best keep your data secure and private (SkyFire says that's been their #1 priority, even in their early betas). Lastly, though, server's ain't free. SkyFire hasn't settled on a pricing model yet, but they're leaning towards ads before subscriptions to keep the service free. The company was keen to show me their portal - which pulls from multiple search engines - so that's probably going to be part of the model.

The Software Itself:

One .cab file for the browser, that's all you install to get full Flash, AJAX (the thing can handle the craziest of Google Maps/Apps AJAX), etc. Since it's all handled server-side.

The SkyFire browser has all the necessary zoom and bookmark features you'd expect from a browser of this sort. It also has a “fit to screen” feature -- but with a neat difference. Instead of re-rendering the entire webpage to fit your screen, it actually just renders the different sections of text to fit your screen in place. So you still get the basic layout of the site, but when you zoom into a piece of text to read it you know it will be set to the right width for comfortable reading at your mobile's resolution.

The 1st beta is slated to be released for Windows Mobile only but a Symbian beta is also not far down the road(work is going on as u read this).

...It's about time we had a browser that's not only competitive with the iPhone's, but that beats it in several categories. The fact that it's all server-side is the real story here, though, its SkyFire's greatest strength and also its weakness at the same time.

I will paste links to the screenshots later..... So, keep a watch out..

interesting... from the demo it looks lot better than Opera. I've just signed up for Beta 2 and verified. Hope they will send the invitation soon.

Hi Friends I just wanted you all to introduce to a great product which I found

Its skyfire browser for all types of mobile.

You can watch youtube or any website animation just like normal surfing on mobile...

To download just type get.skyfire.com on your mobile and download the browser and you are done.

I am using it on my HTC touch and using Wifi internet at home and beleive me youtube videos and faster to download more than my laptop and the quality in amazing...

I am sure you will love it.

Have fun :winko:

What? you are using WIFI on your Touch 6900?

6900 does not have wifi then how are you using it?

please tell and help us all..

Also when i am installing skyfire and trying to open internet it is not detecting my wap connection for internet which otherwise is working perfectly in Opera. but skyfire refuses to go online with it.

Please help.

Thanks

skyfire is such that it only works when the skyfire servers are in direct contact with your phone(not through your providers proxy servers to you).....so proxy settings wouldnt work for skyfire

by the way r u tata( tata zone) or reliance customer.....

apparently even in the states there r people who cant use it because of this proxy issue their networks are proxy dependent....but on xda people have been able to hack tmobile wap connections thru diffrenet apn settings to work with skyfire

as far as 6900 i dont think it has wifi radio.....

but i know of one thing that one can get wifi adapters ( micro sd) .....which works well with htc windows mobile deviecs

BTW Mufaddal sir..is dis skyfire is workin on yout Treo . ???

Because in der website dey have mentioned only for Windows & symbian..............

no at presnt its for windows and symbian....

i use it on my mogul.....

i think it would b difficult to see it for treo755 as many access powered devices need a major upgrade in database to give flash support ( also the famous error 3000 that v get time and again )

(also the famous error 3000 that v get time and again )...... :P

thats true .....sirji............