Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
kumar_b5

Caller Id Spoofing

Hi All users,

I want to get your ideas and suggestion about an incident happened with my RIM prepaid connection. Few days back I got a call from an unknown person saying that he got calls from my number last night, and that time I was sleeping. as soon I got this call I was shocked because how that could be possible , where as I didn't use my phone to make out going call on that day, and I didn't leave my phone unattended any where, . I verified the same from Reliance customer care and confirmed there was no such call from my number also my account balance was same. So this was confirmed that there was not call from my number, but the question is how did that person got my caller Id, and the person was not ready to understand me at all. I clearly told the person that it didn't happen from my number at all, but he was not ready to understand and keep abusing me continuously for 2 days. Men while I got call from another caller saying that he got missed calls from my number. I was totaly confused what was going on. Finally I had to swith off my number, went to police station but they didn't file any complain for the incident and told to don't use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have stopped using that number actually I can't use, because as soon as I use the number my phone starts ringing.

Now I just wanted to know from experts in this situation what should I do ?

Thanks

^^^

My dear Kumar, their are only two possibilities. Either your phone has been CLONED or some mischieveous persons are trying to HARASS you in this manner.

Regards.

I would like to know one thing is Caller Id spoofing possible. For a hacker or a cloner it is possible, but can a casual user spoof caller id off the shelf???

forget about hackers any novice person can do this......did u forget there is something called as VOIP :GirandoOjos:

uisng my laptop or desktop or for that matter any source of iinternet connectionu can call other numbers or message to other numbers using voip s/ws......in this softwares when u call a number u can display whatever caller id numbers u want ......not only that u can even message a number and u can set the senders number to whichever number u want .....it is childs play

this is one of the reasons why calls thru voip r difficult to trace .....

forget about hackers any novice person can do this......did u forget there is something called as VOIP :GirandoOjos:

uisng my laptop or desktop or for that matter any source of iinternet connectionu can call other numbers or message to other numbers using voip s/ws......in this softwares when u call a number u can display whatever caller id numbers u want ......not only that u can even message a number and u can set the senders number to whichever number u want .....it is childs play

this is one of the reasons why calls thru voip r difficult to trace .....

Dude can you please be more specific?

Can you say me in details how to do that? Using which VOIP provider is that possible?

I dont think its cloned, as if it wud been cloned ur balance will reduce in case call made from other cloned phone.

also In reliance if 2 handset with same MIN and ESN combination is ON at a same time in different base station reliance detects it and calls back on number to k nw whats happening.

I think its different matter, i dont understand if person got one or two call from any number why he be abusing for same.

Speak to him about it and switch on ur phone bindaas.

its not cloned coz if it were cloned y wud some one use this cloned number to harass other people and in turn arouse suspicion in the minds of the owner of number ......infact he who has cloned his number wud use his number carefully without arousing any suspicion

its is just that sum person who must b his frend/foe who has his number is using a voip service to call other numbers n placing his number in caller id so as to harass him .....or simply a bunch of people harassin him by creating this issue just as kamal said ....it cud b either of two possibilities

Can you say me in details how to do that? Using which VOIP provider is that possible?

i cant since this thing can b abused like anything ........

its not cloned coz if it were cloned y wud some one use this cloned number to harass other people and in turn arouse suspicion in the minds of the owner of number ......infact he who has cloned his number wud use his number carefully without arousing any suspicion

its is just that sum person who must b his frend/foe who has his number is using a voip service to call other numbers n placing his number in caller id so as to harass him .....or simply a bunch of people harassin him by creating this issue just as kamal said ....it cud b either of two possibilities

Guys Thanks for your advise, I got the number just a month back only.

I switched off the number just to avoid uncessory argument with caller, because you are not free all the time to make a person understand who doesn't want to understand, he only want my details that's it.

I believe this is a caller ID spoofing , it couldn't be CLONING since my balance wasn't affacted.

Thanks

Guys Thanks for your advise, I got the number just a month back only.

I switched off the number just to avoid uncessory argument with caller, because you are not free all the time to make a person understand who doesn't want to understand, he only want my details that's it.

I believe this is a caller ID spoofing , it couldn't be CLONING since my balance wasn't affacted.

Thanks

But dont you think leaving this issue is not moral? I dont know what to suggest and who will listen to you.

I strongly think, maybe the person who received your missed calls does not know to read the date and time of such missed calls. Or maybe he has not set the time at all on his GSM handset (though if it is CDMA handset, then the time would be automatically set by the network) Or maybe he has received the calls earlier and thought you had called him up.

In this case, I would suggest you to talk to him once again and ask him the exact details explaining your predicament. Also advise him very clearly that you will be forced to register a police complaint in case he has indeed received calls at the stated time and dates, because this issue may involve cloning or spoofing or whatever it may be called.

Finally, since you have stated you have got the prepaid number just a month back and assuming your balance is not very heavy, just junk the connection and go in for a new one if you want to avoid all complications. Just forget the issue as a bad dream. But I would advise you to write a very strong email to CMO, CC, TRAI etc stating that you were forced to junk the connection alongwith the balance as you were receiving "junk and threatening"calls. By this way, in future, if there is any problem, you will not be held responsible.

^^^

My dear Deepak, procedure related to SPOOFING is not allowed to be discussed on this neat and clean forum.

It will be better not to ask for the same.

Regards.