Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vinodchacko

Thinking To Change My Phone

Hello Friends,

I have been a member of this forum, but has been quite passive. I am not a good techie on the side of mobile phones, but far better than a dumb :). I have been using 6275 for the last 2.5 years and now I am thinking to change it. Since I am on RIM cdma, I am not quite sure what are the choices I have. Whenever I visit a store, to take a look on the options I have, most of the HTC sets will be out of stock :-/.

I am not 100% updated about the present CDMA market, and hence this post to gather your opinion about various handsets.

My expectations are:

1. QWERTY keyboard.

2. Seamless Internet browsing

3. audio / video playing and recording

4. Bluetooth, customisable storage,

5. Good and fast OS ( dont mind if it is linux or windows )

6. WiFi ( not necessary )

I prefer not to buy a touch phone :)

I feel HTC is the best bet. But I am not sure which all models are available for RIM CDMA or if we can buy GSM phones and get it compatible to CDMA or whatsoever.

It will be highly helpful, if you can share your experience and thoughts. I live at Kochi, Kerala. I can travel up to Bangalore, to buy the phone... if anyone can recommend a good store or dealer for the purpose :)

Thanks,

Vinod

Most of the HTC phones, in fact most mobile phone companies are focusing on tactile based OS, so going for non touch phones you might have to go retrograde.

As far as QWERTY, two options you have would be the Mogul and Touch Pro.

Not sure what you meant by "Seamless Internet browsing", but I could vouch that any OS that can fully support the Opera Mobile 9.5 gives you the best brwosing experience presently for mobile phones.

HTC phones arent very good (compared to Sony Ericcson, Nokia, etc) for multimedia

Touch, Mogul and Touch Pro all have provision for external storgae card with support upto 16GB

WM OS is quirky, just like their PC counterpart, but its easy to work with because its a familair interface for most people, just like the PCs, and added to that you get a very wide array of software/apps you can chose to customize your phone according to your requirement.

Touch does not have wifi, while Mogul, Touch Pro and Diamond have wifi.

Look up Sadikk's range, in Sadikk's World in the Buy/Sell section of the forum. The phones he has are extremely well priced, compared to the store models you see for the CDMA range here in India, delivered promptly and you can have it delivered home for you, so needn't travel about looking for a good phone.

PS: Look me up, if you like, since I'm based in Cochin too, though I will be out of town till the 18th. I just switched to a new Touch Pro today, sourced from Sadikk. You can see both the Touch Pro and Touch which I was previously using and decide which would be a good choice among those, or go for an alternative model.

Edited by Anupe

Most of the HTC phones, in fact most mobile phone companies are focusing on tactile based OS, so going for non touch phones you might have to go retrograde.

As far as QWERTY, two options you have would be the Mogul and Touch Pro.

Not sure what you meant by "Seamless Internet browsing", but I could vouch that any OS that can fully support the Opera Mobile 9.5 gives you the best brwosing experience presently for mobile phones.

HTC phones arent very good (compared to Sony Ericcson, Nokia, etc) for multimedia

Touch, Mogul and Touch Pro all have provision for external storgae card with support upto 16GB

WM OS is quirky, just like their PC counterpart, but its easy to work with because its a familair interface for most people, just like the PCs, and added to that you get a very wide array of software/apps you can chose to customize your phone according to your requirement.

Touch does not have wifi, while Mogul, Touch Pro and Diamond have wifi.

Look up Sadikk's range, in Sadikk's World in the Buy/Sell section of the forum. The phones he has are extremely well priced, compared to the store models you see for the CDMA range here in India, delivered promptly and you can have it delivered home for you, so needn't travel about looking for a good phone.

PS: Look me up, if you like, since I'm based in Cochin too, though I will be out of town till the 18th. I just switched to a new Touch Pro today, sourced from Sadikk. You can see both the Touch Pro and Touch which I was previously using and decide which would be a good choice among those, or go for an alternative model.

Anupe,

Thanks for the explanation. Can you please pointout which phone is best by operation wise, weight, etc., between touch and touch pro since i feel that you are the only person who own both the sets at the same time which i am expecting to buy between.

Touch is now nearly obsolete in comparison to Touch Pro or Diamond.... Our Next target is Pro2... Go for Pro/Diamond right now, because that is the best match of price and functionality...

OT:

1. What is the home of Touch - Sweden or China? Looks like the latter.

2. Some long term user reports.

3. Are the htc phones from their dealers cracked/customised for Reliance or is the software easily available?

Edited by sgiitk

^

1. neither - its Taiwan

2. Using HTC Phones since last 5 years - all imported from US, hence very sturdy build quality - PPC6700 to PPC 6800 (Mogul) to PPC 6850 (Touch Pro)

3. Dealer (from reliance) prices are nearly double and many model like Pro are not available also; Phone should be solved/activated by experts; Softwares available by the hundreds...

@dkaile: Even though I am considered a PC Guru I will not risk a mobile phone at this point of time. May be in a couple of years! :)

^

thats why we are there to help people out....