Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ramtech

Wi Fi-discussion

Dear friends

I am planning to buy a new phone with Wi fi

I have few questions on wi fi.can some experts clarify ?

1.If my phone has wi fi then can I access Internet on phone from my PC(PC has wireless lan and I am using broadband on pc) ?

2.Can I access phone from PC using wi fi ?(similar to bluetooth or cable)

3.What are the other benefits of wifi on phone ?

4.Is Wifi and wireless lAN same ?

5.IS Modem with wi fi and wireless router same ? if different how?

Thanks in advancee

1.If my phone has wi fi then can I access Internet on phone from my PC(PC has wireless LAN and I am using broadband on PC) ?

Ans>>> Yes,it is possible.

2.Can I access phone from PC using wi fi ?(similar to blue tooth or cable)

And>>Maybe Possible by using Connectivity software,i don't think so,but you can send and receive files using it.

3.What are the other benefits of wifi on phone ?

Ans>>Access Internet at free spot such as Airports,Malls,CCDs etc

I have one Wi-Fi At home and All three laptops are connected simultaneously without wires.So kind cool.

I dont have 2 wait for my bro or pa to finish browsing I can do that in any room with privacy.

4.Is Wifi and wireless LAN same ?

Ans>>NO, In Most Cases Wi-Fi Modem is given internet by Local Area Network

5.IS Modem with Wi-Fi and wireless router same ? if different how?

Ans>>Well In Modem with Wi-fi You put LAN Cable in your modem And Connect Your PC/Laptop to Modem using Wi-Fi.

Wireless Router will do just the same thing:)

Hope I Answered all your questions.

[[Please Correct me If I am wrong :)That Shall be appreciated :)]]

Edited by KooLK

i will suggest to get a wi-fi router from the ISP.. generally they provide for free. i changed my MTNL DSL router to wi-fi dsl and also got a new USB wi-fi dongle for PC. so now i just switch on my router and connect PC, laptop and cell to it. earlier i either use PC or laptop at a time as i didnt had any other networking devices. now with wifi, all are used simultaneously.

1.If my phone has wi fi then can I access Internet on phone from my PC(PC has wireless lan and I am using broadband on pc) ? it is possible. but little complicated if you dont have wi-fi router from isp. you need to switch on your PC everytime you want to browse through phone and also you have to enable internet connection sharing on PC.

2.Can I access phone from PC using wi fi ?(similar to bluetooth or cable) NO. as of now one to one connectivity is not available in wi-fi. the standards does not provide for one to one or peer to peer connection in wi-fi. however the new standards are underdevelopment and it will be possible in future. Read this article, good one for understanding.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/173699/wifi_direct_could_be_the_death_of_bluetooth.html

3.What are the other benefits of wifi on phone ? it depends. i generaly use when i am not in office and to access mail at client office wherever wi-fi available. it depends on usage.

4.Is Wifi and wireless lAN same ? yes.

5.IS Modem with wi fi and wireless router same ? if different how? not exactly. as i mentioned earlier, i got the ADL router, which you can term as router with wi-fi connectivity. the pure wi-fi router is your switch or router/hub for wired network. it is exactly the same as your wired router but supports wireless connectivity. infact most wi-fi routers supports both, wireless and wired network. generally they have four ports for wired devices and 4 for wireless. but wi-fi modem may have limitations based on company. MTNL has only one wired port, while my airtel (in office) has two.

my suggestion, dont go in much details. if your ISP is not providing wi-fi then you need to get your own router, cost about Rs.1800/- and above. advice, opt for linksys. little expensive but really good and reliable. settign wi-fi is easy. just secured with complicated passowrd that you can remember. even if you forget, you reset to factory and again set it up from scratch. i have seen many wi-fi connections with default password even for managing the routers. DONT EVER DO THAT. change admin name and password for the router. otherwise anyone can take you for a joy ride... and you should be aware of American family in Navi Mumbai.

i generally put mac addresses in router that can access it. but then visitors cant access it. my home settings is such that only mac ids that i have provided can access it. while in office, i change password every one or so...

i will suggest to get a wi-fi router from the ISP.. generally they provide for free. i changed my MTNL DSL router to wi-fi dsl and also got a new USB wi-fi dongle for PC. so now i just switch on my router and connect PC, laptop and cell to it. earlier i either use PC or laptop at a time as i didnt had any other networking devices. now with wifi, all are used simultaneously.

1.If my phone has wi fi then can I access Internet on phone from my PC(PC has wireless lan and I am using broadband on pc) ? it is possible. but little complicated if you dont have wi-fi router from isp. you need to switch on your PC everytime you want to browse through phone and also you have to enable internet connection sharing on PC.

2.Can I access phone from PC using wi fi ?(similar to bluetooth or cable) NO. as of now one to one connectivity is not available in wi-fi. the standards does not provide for one to one or peer to peer connection in wi-fi. however the new standards are underdevelopment and it will be possible in future. Read this article, good one for understanding.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/173699/wifi_direct_could_be_the_death_of_bluetooth.html

3.What are the other benefits of wifi on phone ? it depends. i generaly use when i am not in office and to access mail at client office wherever wi-fi available. it depends on usage.

4.Is Wifi and wireless lAN same ? yes.

5.IS Modem with wi fi and wireless router same ? if different how? not exactly. as i mentioned earlier, i got the ADL router, which you can term as router with wi-fi connectivity. the pure wi-fi router is your switch or router/hub for wired network. it is exactly the same as your wired router but supports wireless connectivity. infact most wi-fi routers supports both, wireless and wired network. generally they have four ports for wired devices and 4 for wireless. but wi-fi modem may have limitations based on company. MTNL has only one wired port, while my airtel (in office) has two.

my suggestion, dont go in much details. if your ISP is not providing wi-fi then you need to get your own router, cost about Rs.1800/- and above. advice, opt for linksys. little expensive but really good and reliable. settign wi-fi is easy. just secured with complicated passowrd that you can remember. even if you forget, you reset to factory and again set it up from scratch. i have seen many wi-fi connections with default password even for managing the routers. DONT EVER DO THAT. change admin name and password for the router. otherwise anyone can take you for a joy ride... and you should be aware of American family in Navi Mumbai.

i generally put mac addresses in router that can access it. but then visitors cant access it. my home settings is such that only mac ids that i have provided can access it. while in office, i change password every one or so...

Thank you both for the valuable information.

Can you share some more info pls

BSNL has four types of modems( i think 2 are wired and 2 are wirelss and charging 1000rs and 1600rs) info available on website.

1.Can you please tell me difference in above modems ?

2.if i purchase from bsnl above wireless modem and later if change service from bsnl to other service providers , can i use same modem if yes does all operators support the modem

3.Can you please mention two or few good brand wi fi router models with price .

Thanks once again