Reliance Jio & Reliance Mobile Discussion Forums
avishekghosh

Samsung Metro TV at a glance!

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is Metro Tv A GOOD CHOICE?

• YES
    • NO

@ chitshar

I think you can buy this mobile phone without any second thoughts.

The mobile phone Operating System is very much sophisticated.

It clubs all calls and messages specific to a contact in one entry.

Shows music player in the idle-screen when an album is played.

SMS won't get clogged up by operator messages upon finishing a call, it would just display a pop-up.

A toolbar can be added to the idle-screen too.

Has slideshow feature in photo gallery.

Has steller j2me application support.

Most of the applications i tried are working great.

Couple of things that i don't like in this OS are

direct shortcuts cannot be created for J2ME applications.

Slow inbuilt browser.

GMail mobile application not work :((

Moreover i am using this mobile phone without any covers.

The color and material used in the body doesn't allow much wears and even if it gets, it won't be obvious.

The mobile phone build quality is also very nice.

This mobile phone withstood 3-4 drops in my usage and is still without any obvious wears.

All in all a great mobile phone.

I usually don't but Samsung phones (more of a LG/Nokia person) but I bought this piece because of the build quality and voice clarity. Paid Rs.6200 for it at the Reliance gallery.

The only -ve I see about this is that it can be a little slim for people with big hands, and the shiny, glossy surface tends to be a dust & fingerprint magnet.

Other than this, Samsung Metro is a good value phone.

Edited by natjay

Hello Everybody

I have successfully added Samsung Metro TV M519 mobile phone in Mouthshut and given it a very positive review.

Please visit this url and add your reviews too if interested :)http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Samsung_Metro_TV_M519-197001-1.html

Edited by raghugs

Bought Samsung Metro tv for wife. The e-mail receiving is working fine but e-mail sending is not working. The error message that comes is "Network connect fail"

The configuration used is as follows:

E-mail : email@domain.com

Password : **********

SMTP : domain.com

SMTP port: 25

SMTP ID : email@domain.com

POP3 : domain.com

POP3 port: 110

Use same ID and password as SMTP

The above is the same configuration used in the OutlookExpress e-mail client and is working fine.

Went to samsung service center and they updated the phone OS but still the problem is not solved.

Any idea why the SMTP is not working?

Finally i found out, why e-mails are not going out from Samsung Metro TV, the phone software only supports limited number of chars in the SMTP User ID. The ID we were trying to configure is like email@domainxxxxxxxxxxxx.com, 28 chars. Samsung Metro TV does not support 28 chars in the SMTP user ID. As per domain registration rules maximum domain length can be upto 64 chars, then add the user name, about 25 chars, SMTP ID, maximum number of allowable chars should be set at 100 chars!

Can someone who has contact with Samsung pass this info, so that they can fix this issue?

Whenever I send sms from Samsung metro tv, the other person gets 2 sms of the same everytime.. Is someone facing such an issue?

@ Himanshu Singh

Sometime it happends(it may be 2-5 times) to me also.....but not everytime.....

Has any one used metro as modem if yes how is the internet speed on EVDO? Pl update

Is it possible to block a number on Samsung Metro handset or is it a feature provided by Reliance.

Bought one for Rs 5550, really a value for money phone. I would like to thank the members for there detailed post which really helped me in selecting the handset. :signthankspin:

Congratulations on purchasing the mobile phone.

Did it came with or without 1GB Micro-SD Card?

abhishek_garodia, pl update about the internet speed using EVDO, cause even i am planning to buy the same

Hello Everybody

Among few things that prevents me from dumping my Nokia GSM mobile phone for my Samsung Metro TV CDMA Phone is GMail Mobile application.

I tried really so many times to make the J2ME version of GMail application to work well in my Samsung phone.

But, i am not succeeded in that yet and have gave up since some time.

But still i would be very happy if the applications work in my mobile phone.

If nobody succeeded in making the application to work in your samsung mobile phone or if nobody is interested in, then what other applications can be comparable to j2me version of Gmail?

Edited by Arun
<< Topic Merged >>

i dont think Gmail will work on Metro,

Hi,

Thanks for this topic...

I am planning to buy this handset... But need to know a couple of things.

1) How many sms groups can be formed? This is important as it has only 9 speed dials. And I usually send smses to 100 people at a time.

I understand this set has 1000 sms.

2) Hows the keypad? someone mentioned that its not good for long messages. :Decepcionado:

3) Can anyone suggest another handset with

good battery life- min 3 hours talk time.

good sms features- min 500 sms, good draft storage

good keypad- (rejected Mpower TV for this reason)

good headset- clear, loud voice

price- around 5000/-

Any response is highly appreciated.

:signthankspin:

Edited by samsung123

@samsung123

Even if you have not interested in look at alternatives i would suggested Samsung MPower TV S239.

Samsung MPower TV S239 costs 4.5k, but i bought Samsung Metro TV for 6k :(

I was disappointed in my purchase decision after seeing this mobile phone.

It has better screen, better Battery, QVGA resolution, comes with EVDO support, OMH enabled and what not for a very sweet price.

Learn more about this mobile phone at http://in.samsungmobile.com/mobile-phones/samsung-mpower-tv-s239

You can easily buy Samsung MPower TV S239 for Rs 1000 to 1500 lesser than Samsung Metro TV.

Only let down is poor quality camera and doesn't support backgound music playback.

Edited by raghugs

Samsung MPower TV S239 is a better choice compared to LG 6300.

Alternatively if you are ready to shell out 6.6k, go in for Mpower TXT M369 :)

Samsung MPower TV S239 is a better choice compared to LG 6300.

Alternatively if you are ready to shell out 6.6k, go in for Mpower TXT M369 :)

Dear Karthik, i beleive that you have Mpower TXT 369, howz the phone? Is it worth buying for 6600?howz the battry backupetc? I am planning to buy this phone therefore asking for advise. i am currently using BB 8703e.

(Sorry for being off topic).

Cheers!!

Jasmeet

"Samsung MPower TV S239 is a better choice compared to LG 6300. "....why?pls elaborate ur views bro...i hv already usin metro tv...but i am planning 2 buy another lg6300?..is it not good?

@ Avishek Ghosh

Memory

Samsung MPower TV S239 endows the user with 85MB of internal memory and can be expanded upto 16 GB with MicroSD card. With LG 6300 the figures are 21 MB and 4 GB respectively.

Display

Display is very good in S239 having screen size of 2.4 with 240 x 320 pixels resolution. LG 6300 the size is 2.0 inches, resolution being 176 x 220 pixels.

Phone Book

S239 supports upto 2000 entries while it is 1000 entries with LG6300.

The keypad of S239 is more comfortable.

Battery

LG 6300 scores slightly well here with 1100 mAh battery. S239 has a 960 mAh one.

Cam

LG 6300 has a 2 MP cam whereas S239 got 1.3 MP only. Both are not satisfactory in this regard.

It is not like LG 6300 is bad but Samsung MPower TV S239 is better :) If you are tired of Samsung Metro TV then go in for 6300.

@ Karthik R

I think both of us are in the same boat of boasting the Samsung mobile phone only based on the specification.

Isn't it ?

Or do you have that mobile phone ?

@raghugs:

Thanks for your input.

It has better screen, better Battery, QVGA resolution, comes with EVDO support, OMH enabled and what not for a very sweet price.

I agree with that. But what put me off was the keypad of 239. Its very difficult to type text.and the keys are very hard.

I was disappointed in my purchase decision after seeing this mobile phone.

Can you please tell me, apart from price and screen and EVDO support what else you didn't like about Metro? I don't mind spending more for less features as I don't plan use the phone for internet and I am not hung up on big screen.

@Karthik R:

I agree with you. LG 6300 doesn't fulfill my needs. (poor sms features and capacity)

Can anybody who has been using 239 tell me how's the keypad for smsing?

@avishekghosh:

Hi,

Can you tell me why you want to buy another phone? Are you not satisfied with Metro?

Please let me know how many sms groups can be formed in Metro.

@samsung123

In my experience, Samsung Metro TV keypad also is not better.

The keys in the keypad are doesn't have depth and there is not much tactile feedback.

Other than screen size and keypad, i don't have any problems in Samsung Metro TV.

@ Raghu Sunderam Friend I just quoted the specs to be precise (and to sound sophisticated :winko: ). I have had them all - Mpower 699, LG 6300, Corby Speed, Metro Tv, LG cookie zip, Muzik 219 and presently using the Mpower txt M369.

@ Punjabi Bro, the battery backup is good for a phone with the specified features and will last a day or two with moderate use. You can follow the reviews and snaps here Mpower txt M369 :)